Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-SFO-MEX-MDE: Bag lost for 8 days....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Air Mileage and United Mileage
SEA-SFO-MEX-MDE: Bag lost for 8 days....

Newbie here.
Short story:

Leave Seattle WA for Medellin Columbia on 4/18.

Check one bag all the way through on Virgin America (agent said he could check it through).
Miss connection in SFO, they put me on an American Flight to Dallas
Then Dallas to Mexico City on AA
Mexico City to Medellin Columbia on AeroMexico Airlines (original itinerary)

Result: No bag at Medellin Airport. File a report with baggage claim with Aero Mexico in Medellin Colombia. Aero Mexico has no information on the bag. I file a claim with original departing airline (Virgin American) thinking the bag is in SFO most likely. I get my bag 8 days later in Medellin Columbia (4/27 yesterday). after a Virgin American bag agent contacts me via phone.

I booked the flight on my Barclay Card Master Card Arrival + (miles reimbursement after booking).

I spent about $175 in getting by for a week in regards to clothes an shoes beyond what I have in a backpack.

Million dollar question....who do I go to for my lost bag reimbursement? Virgin America? (they finally found the bag in SFO Intl baggage terminal). Aero Mexico (the receiving airline). My master card for insurance protection?

I kept all claims numbers, tickets, and receipts for things I needed to buy to get by for 8 days. Thoughts welcome!

Last edited by supernova72; Apr 28, 2017 at 10:24 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If you have travel insurance protection with Mastercard (MC) I would definitelty try to get reimbursement with the insurance provided by MC. It should be fairly easy; far less complicated than trying to get reimbursement from a carrier.

Usually, the last performing carrier is responsible for delivering luggage to pax - regardless whether lost already at previous carrier, and will also settle any reasonable costs incurred until luggage is delivered. However, if you filed a missing bagage claim with VX and it appear that it was actually VX who dealt with and recovered the lost bag, you should follow up with VX for reimbursement of costs. Whether VX (or AM) will actually pay (or how much they are prepared to cover) I have no idea, I have never dealt with these carriers.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Air Mileage and United Mileage
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If you have travel insurance protection with Mastercard (MC) I would definitelty try to get reimbursement with the insurance provided by MC. It should be fairly easy; far less complicated than trying to get reimbursement from a carrier.

Usually, the last performing carrier is responsible for delivering luggage to pax - regardless whether lost already at previous carrier, and will also settle any reasonable costs incurred until luggage is delivered. However, if you filed a missing bagage claim with VX and it appear that it was actually VX who dealt with and recovered the lost bag, you should follow up with VX for reimbursement of costs. Whether VX (or AM) will actually pay (or how much they are prepared to cover) I have no idea, I have never dealt with these carriers.
Thanks so much for the reply. I'll try my MC card first since I'm told it comes with insurance. I had not flow these airlines either and won't be checking my bag on the way back. I had the bright idea of exploring MX City initially (14 hour layover) so that is why I checked it. That all fell through with flight changes on the way down.

Some say VA being acquired by Alaska Air has caused some lack of caring but that's just a guess.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Before you submit any original receipts to the insurance company provided by your MC I suggest to check whether you indeed are protected for luggage delay under this insurance - a glance at the policy wording should give you an idea of this. No reason to bother trying to get reimbursed from insurance company if there is no protection for delayed luggage under the policy. By way of illustration the insurance coverage provided by my MC does not include delayed luggage.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I had a similar issue where I was rebooked onto AM (also missed a cxn in SFO AA to AS) and one of my bags did not make it.

I had to file a claim with AM, and my bag showed up the next day (3 day trip so halfway in).

[Mod hat on]

As AM was the last carrier to handle your flight segments, we'll move this to the AM forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.