Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BWI to LAX stopver to HNL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

BWI to LAX stopver to HNL

Hello, my wife and I have to go to LA for a wedding in november and was looking to use our points from Chase Ur Rewards to book all the flights. We have about 240k points and looking to go from BWI to LAX (4-5 days) to HNL.
Would this be possible to book as 1 flight to minimize the points spent?
Any suggestions will be helpful as I have yet to book anything with points before.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Using UR points you have two routes to go.
1. You may book the tickets via the Chase UR portal which allows you to purchase your desired flights using points to pay or reduce the costs at a fixed rate per point. The upside to this is that you can generally get any flight that has seats to sell.

2. You transfer the points to one of the partner airline reward programs that has availability for flights you desire. The upside is that this can sometimes be a great value. The downside is it requires availability for the flights you want and the program must allow for a stopover.

You'll have to look at the Chase UR forum for recommendations on which program works best for your situation and then search for availability. Another point to consider is that it may be possible to get 2 of the 3 segments you need via an award booking and then purchase the third segment because of lack of award availability or you may have to use multiple programs to get your desired flights. Such as BWI-LAX-HNL on say WN and then maybe LAX-IAD/NYC-BWI on different carriers and award tickets.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kailam19
Hello, my wife and I have to go to LA for a wedding in november and was looking to use our points from Chase Ur Rewards to book all the flights. We have about 240k points and looking to go from BWI to LAX (4-5 days) to HNL.
Would this be possible to book as 1 flight to minimize the points spent?
Any suggestions will be helpful as I have yet to book anything with points before.

If you can find lowest-tier award seats on AS for BWI-SAN and for SAN-HNL, you could transfer your UR points to Korean, and redeem for BWI-SAN-HNL on AS for just 12.5K miles in Coach. (KE permits a free, en-rouute stopover on all of its award redemptions, including those on partner carriers like AS.) It would be up to you to get yourselves from SAN to Los Angeles and back, but 12.5K miles for BWI to Hawaii with a free stopover is a screaming deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.