Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best award flight redemptions for Kathmandu ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Best award flight redemptions for Kathmandu ?

Hi,

I've got a bunch of Canadian Amex Membership Reward points and I'm planning a trip to Nepal. I can transfer my MR points to Aeroplan, British Avios, Asia Miles, Eitihad among others and to also to other airlines through conversion to SPG Starpoints

I am looking for best award economy or business flight redemptions from Toronto or Montreal to Kathmandu. Since the travel duration is long (24+ hours), I would like to split the outbound by stopping at a south east asian city (Hong Kong, Seoul or Kuala Lumpur) for 2-3 days before continuing to Kathmandu

Thanks !
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If you haven't already done so, open a BAEC account, and check the cost -- in Avios and cash fees/surcharges -- for YYZ-HKG on the CX nonstop. Under the current BAEC chart, it should cost 50K Avios oneway, but certain North America-HKG routes have been grandfathered, and the redemption rate could be less. KA flies HKG-KTM; that should cost 10K Avios one way.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The best is the program that has availability on the dates you wish to travel and as a bonus may allow for you to have a stopover. Without that you're looking at doing multiple awards.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Aeroplan is a pretty good option since *A has a strong Asia presence and it appears both TK and TG serve KTM. Air China also serves KTM but via Chendgu or Lhasa which isn't useful if you want your stopover in a different part of Asia. I believe they allow 2 stopovers (though I am not an Aeroplan expert by any means).

I can get the following to price out on the Aeroplan website using multi-city and random dates in May 2017:

YYZ - YVR - HKG (AC J, 773) Departure Date: May 17
HKG - BKK - KTM (TG J, 747 to 777) Departure Date: May 23
KTM - IST - YYZ (TK J, A330 to 777) Departure Date: May 30

All flights on widebodies. That comes out at 150k + $340.66 CAD. It also presented KTM - IST - YYZ with TK J connecting to AC J at IST as an option. I don't think you'd have any problem doing a similar multi-city to a different Asian city. In addition, if the 2 stopover thing is legit, you can probably route home via Asia as well with a 1-2 day stopover at HKG/ICN/BKK/TYO/SIN but that option isn't available online and you might have to call in to do that (multi-city is limited to 3).

Last edited by Duke787; Oct 20, 2016 at 11:27 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:45 am

Best IMO is Etihad one stop. You can book through AA for best value. QR is also good but requires a long layover or stop in Doha. If you want to do HKG - YYZ-HKG-DEL using Alaska miles and buying a separate ticket to KTM is a cheap option in business and allows a HKG stopover. But requires overnight and E-visa.

You can typically find pretty good deals in Y (and sometimes C) back to YYZ from DEL or KTM.

If you are flying economy it is worth considering a paid flight to DEL - can be very cheap ($700).

Last edited by erik123; Oct 20, 2016 at 11:51 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, great info
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The best is the program that has availability on the dates you wish to travel and as a bonus may allow for you to have a stopover. Without that you're looking at doing multiple awards.
Any program that will allow me to do a stopover for free (or for a reasonnable miles amount) in Korea, Japan or Hong Kong on my way to Delhi or Kathmandu ?

Trip origin is Canada.

Thank you
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Any program that will allow me to do a stopover for free (or for a reasonnable miles amount) in Korea, Japan or Hong Kong on my way to Delhi or Kathmandu ?

Trip origin is Canada.

Thank you
Aeroplan (see my post above).

UA, SQ, and NH also both allow stopovers though routing rules on UA just changed in a way that may prevent an ICN/HKG/TYO stopover en route to DEL/KTM.

I don't know the NH chart well enough beyond just knowing they are an AMEX transfer partner and allow stopovers. SQ you could fly to Dehli but you'd have to position to LAX or SFO to take advantage of the 15% mileage discount when traveling on SQ metal only.

I honestly don't think you will find a better mileage option with stopover though than the one on AC I laid out above based on the points / miles you have available (even if you had others, I actually think the Aeroplan redemption is probably the best option for a SE Asia + stopover that's out there).

Alaska Airlines would be the other option to recommend but that is only better if you have enough SPG. You can't get all the way to KTM but you can do YYZ - HKG (stopover) - DEL for 50k on CX J for the one-way.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Aeroplan (see my post above).

UA, SQ, and NH also both allow stopovers though routing rules on UA just changed in a way that may prevent an ICN/HKG/TYO stopover en route to DEL/KTM.

I don't know the NH chart well enough beyond just knowing they are an AMEX transfer partner and allow stopovers. SQ you could fly to Dehli but you'd have to position to LAX or SFO to take advantage of the 15% mileage discount when traveling on SQ metal only.

I honestly don't think you will find a better mileage option with stopover though than the one on AC I laid out above based on the points / miles you have available (even if you had others, I actually think the Aeroplan redemption is probably the best option for a SE Asia + stopover that's out there).

Alaska Airlines would be the other option to recommend but that is only better if you have enough SPG. You can't get all the way to KTM but you can do YYZ - HKG (stopover) - DEL for 50k on CX J for the one-way.
Thank you for the details. I'll then lean more towards Aeroplan to fly with ANA to Tokyo/Seoul/HKG and continue to Delhi/Kathmandu with ANA, Asiana, or Air India

It seems that Cathay seats are hard to snag as seats are only released way in advance and finding/booking availabilty is complicated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.