Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Infant one-way versus two-way unused return, homeland security?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:17 am
Original Poster

I'm flying from Toronto->JFK->Spain and then returning Oslo->Heathrow->Toronto. I found a cheap American-BA multicity itinerary. (One itinerary for all three flights.) I'm flying with my infant son (< 2 years old), meeting my parents in Spain, and leaving my son with them. I'm then going to return to Toronto (without my son). My parents will then return with him a few weeks later.

My travel agent tried to book my round trip on American and then add an infant one way (just the Toronto->JFK->Spain portion with American). She apparently ran into some trouble doing this. (Should I have expected this?) She then inquired about adding him to all legs and they warned that there would be some "homeland security" problems if I showed up to a return leg without my infant son.

Sounds like nanny-state nonsense. Anyone heard about something like this? Are they going to Heathrow->Toronto flight if I don't show up with my son on the Oslo->Heathrow flights? OR cancel just his portion (which would be ok since he's not flying with me back).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There won't be any "homeland security" problems. It is just nonsense. The officer won't even see your flight booking so he wouldn't know. You may have one or two other issues which you may want to plan for:

1. Travelling without your wife/child's mother often raises flags. Always with Canadian officials, occasionally with US official, and sometimes with Europeans. I know it's complete BS, but you may with to have a (ugh) notarised letter co-signed by wife/mother acknowledging/allowing this.

2. As above, but in the case of your parents bringing him back. May want to have a paper that says it's clear with the two parents.

(Edit to suit your domestic situation which of course I don't know.)
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There won't be any "homeland security" problems. It is just nonsense. The officer won't even see your flight booking so he wouldn't know. You may have one or two other issues which you may want to plan for:

1. Travelling without your wife/child's mother often raises flags. Always with Canadian officials, occasionally with US official, and sometimes with Europeans. I know it's complete BS, but you may with to have a (ugh) notarised letter co-signed by wife/mother acknowledging/allowing this.

2. As above, but in the case of your parents bringing him back. May want to have a paper that says it's clear with the two parents.

(Edit to suit your domestic situation which of course I don't know.)
It's hardly "complete BS"; it's about following The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. This was passed due to a number of parents abducting their children from one member country to another member country without knowledge or consent of the other custodial parent and has been in effect since 1983. It occurs with some degree of frequency, and a member of my family is potentially a victim - we hope the aspects of requiring a notarized document by the absent parent is a deterrent and backstop in case the other parent acts (the other parent has made verbal child abduction threats already).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How is what you posted any different from what I wrote? No US CBP agent will have immediate access to OP's travel details so there's no automatic feedback they can question. The suggested paperwork addresses the situation when there is an irregularity that needs to be clarified.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by LondonElite
How is what you posted any different from what I wrote? No US CBP agent will have immediate access to OP's travel details so there's no automatic feedback they can question. The suggested paperwork addresses the situation when there is an irregularity that needs to be clarified.
CBP are definitely able to view your current itinerary (i.e. one PNR), so they could potentially question you.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I don't see what the issue with U.S. CBP or Homeland Security is. The only time this itinerary touches the U.S. is outbound, during the JFK connection, at which point the child will be present so no issues can arise. The return trip could potentially involve the security organizations of Norway, the U.K. and Canada, but U.S. concerns and organizations are a total non-issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.