Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Dumb question regarding flight times and pricing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

I have a trip booked with Southwest. I booked with points a few months ago, now the same trip is 7k points less. Is it worth it to cancel and reschedule it? Also when looking at the times on the flight is it always my time or is it local time? I cant figure out how long the flights actually are. It says I have a 8hr flight from Baltimore to Puerta Vallarta, leaving bwi at 6am and arriving at PV at 1pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Yes, totally worth it to change to get your 7k back. You can, but don't even have to, cancel it; just change it to the same flights, new price.

Flight times are always local to wherever you are.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights time are always local to the airports involved. To work out the actual flying time you need to allow for time zone changes.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Check the details of your trip. From a quick search of your situation I can figure you're connecting in Houston with about a 90 minute connection time.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Yes, totally worth it to change to get your 7k back. You can, but don't even have to, cancel it; just change it to the same flights, new price.

Flight times are always local to wherever you are.
How do I do that?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Check the details of your trip. From a quick search of your situation I can figure you're connecting in Houston with about a 90 minute connection time.
Houston and denver coming or going, so with the 3 hour time difference the flight is really 11hrs?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:09 pm

The total time is right there in the column that says "Travel Time". With the time zone changes, it will either look shorter (going) or longer (returning) when you adjust your watch for local time. But, the total amount of time it takes for the entire trip is the "Travel Time".
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by hanly2
How do I do that?
Just log onto your account and click "change flight" and select the same flight you have as your new option then is should show the new pricing.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PAX62
Just log onto your account and click "change flight" and select the same flight you have as your new option then is should show the new pricing.
ok, and that makes it non-refundable right?
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Non-refundable doesn't mean a whole lot for a Southwest flight purchased with points. But that requires some explanation.

The points themselves are refundable back to the Rapid Rewards account from which they came even if you had selected a Wanna Get Away fare type (but denominated in points) that would have been non-refundable had it been purchased with dollars (not points). The dollars that you had to spend when you bought the flight in the first place for some of the fees/taxes that are not covered by points are in theory refundable if they represented new money (e.g., not applied from a source that was already non-refundable). In practice most of us don't care too much about that relatively small amount being refundable or not.

Re-booking the flight to get the new lower price in points doesn't change the status of the dollars that was spent on the fees/taxes.

And, if you selected exactly the same flight and/or the same routing, as opposed to the same origination & destination but with different connection point, probably the amount of money didn't change at all. But if you did change routing, then the money needed could change... and that's too complicated for me to want to bother explaining here.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by hanly2
ok, and that makes it non-refundable right?
What is non-refundable? If you bought the ticket with points, the points go back to the same RR account.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextTrip
What is non-refundable? If you bought the ticket with points, the points go back to the same RR account.
I was worried about the points and the fees which were around $350, but I made the change. Thanks
7000 points for $27 more fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.