Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Any kind of refund possible for non-refundable tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
A few months ago I bought a ticket through expedia.br, error fare flying with Turkish Airlines in March (VCE-IST-GRU) for 187 EUR. I might not be going... Does anybody have any experience with this? Is there any possibility to get a refund or sell the tickets?

Thanks so much for your input
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Nonrefundable tickets' refund ability is governed by the airline and the seller. Turkish could have a nonrefundable fare that would require a USD200 change fare, but since you purchased the fare from Expedia it's their policy that will apply.

You can inquire about their refund policy, but also on the change policy; they might allow you to change the dates for a change fee.

As to transferring (selling, etc.) the ticket, most airlines do not permit name changes on airline tickets; I think that avenue is not open to you.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Many (most?) airlines have several types of fares that are called "nonrefundable." Some of those, if cancelled before the flight, have some residual value - generally only for purchasing another ticket from the same airline*. The residual value is usually the cost of the ticket minus a change fee. Change fees tend to be inversely correlated with fares: that is, the lower the fare, the higher the change fee and vice versa. In this case, the change fee could be more than the ticket cost, leaving a residual value of zero. You'll have to check the terms of the specific fare you bought with Turkish and/or Expedia.

Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:43 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Some airlines refund the taxes paid on non-refundable tickets minus any handing charge. You will have to check with expedia.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by teenaa
Hi,
A few months ago I bought a ticket through expedia.br, error fare flying with Turkish Airlines in March (VCE-IST-GRU) for 187 EUR. I might not be going... Does anybody have any experience with this? Is there any possibility to get a refund or sell the tickets?

Thanks so much for your input
If it's a mistake fare, the airline could be very happy to cancel the ticket and give you a refund. You might want to search the mileage run (discussion) forum to see how similar tickets have been treated.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
VCE-GRU for EUR187? Find a way to fly. I think your chance of getting anything other than taxes back from Expedia is very slim.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:04 am

Two suggestions: If there happens to have been any significant schedule change, say you are unhappy with it and want a refund. Or, if you are female say you are concerned about Zika and wish to cancel.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by gil123
Two suggestions: If there happens to have been any significant schedule change, say you are unhappy with it and want a refund. Or, if you are female say you are concerned about Zika and wish to cancel.
Agree on the schedule change: there you have the right to cancel.
But the Zika-claim doesn't stand much chance IMO.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most USA carriers have given Zika waivers, with some reports of people getting free changes when Zika was first in the news, before the waivers were announced. I don't know how TK usually handles similar situations.

As a very general rule, most tickets exUSA that are nonrefundable are nevertheless changeable with a fee or you can cancel (at least before departure) and retain the residual value as a credit minus the change fee. However, many tickets exEurope have fare rules to the effect that the value is totally lost if you do not fly them as booked.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your inputs. I'll see what can be done.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
You are not likely to get much back on this, but you will get something. I recently cancelled a very cheap non-refundable fare, booked through the German Expedia site. I got the taxes back, minus an admin fee (€50 IIRC). One thing to consider is - with a fare this cheap - the price is likely to be largely made up of taxes and charges, which should be refundable.
The zika argument is unlikely to work. Even if you are female, I believe most airlines are only refunding if you provide evidence of a pregnancy.
My advice would be to hold out as long as you can, hoping for a schedule change, which you can reject in favour of a refund. If this doesn't happen, just call and cancel and take what you can get. FWIW I got about €150 back from a €350 fare from Europe to the Far East. My guess is you will get €60-80 back.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's a mistake fare, the airline could be very happy to cancel the ticket and give you a refund. You might want to search the mileage run (discussion) forum to see how similar tickets have been treated.
Once you want to cancel there is less incentive for them to refund. The airline is not out anything if you don't fly, might as well make some money off it to subsidize those who do fly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.