Search

Avios or Club Premier AM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Avios or Club Premier AM

Hi,

I am trying to decide where to start accumulating points in order to get a better value for an award flight.
I would be looking for an award MEX BUD basically and at least for Club Premier Aeromexico flight I would need 90k miles+taxes.

I am not a BA flyer, but as far as I could investigate for the same route I would need less avios points. Do not know exactly but should be about 55k+taxes.

Which points are more valuable given my intended award? Avios vs Club Premier?

Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

BA imposes very high cash surcharges (which are separate from government-imposed "taxes") on TATL award flights, unless you are flying on AB (no surcharges) or EI (low surcharges). Neither carrier serves MEX. To get around BA's high surcharges, you could open and fund an Iberia Plus account, and then transfer BAEC Avios to Iberia Plus, which has more modest surcharges for redemptions on IB metal. But IB only serves BUD seasonally, so you'd have to investigate whether the service operates when you want to fly.

If you can get a cheap flight to Varadero, Cuba, you could redeem BA Avios for VRA-TXL-BUD on AB -- with no surcharges.

Does AM Club Premier assess surcharges on long-haul redemptions?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
To get around BA's high surcharges, you could open and fund an Iberia Plus account, and then transfer BAEC Avios to Iberia Plus, which has more modest surcharges for redemptions on IB metal.
How modest compared to BA? I keep seeing this mentioned around the forums and I've been meaning to ask.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by goldencondor
To get around BA's high surcharges, you could open and fund an Iberia Plus account, and then transfer BAEC Avios to Iberia Plus, which has more modest surcharges for redemptions on IB metal.
How modest compared to BA? I keep seeing this mentioned around the forums and I've been meaning to ask.
I think it's around 35 Euros per long-haul segment. Not sure if there is any surcharge anymore on intra-European segments.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:06 pm

I think it's around 35 Euros per long-haul segment. Not sure if there is any surcharge anymore on intra-European segments.
Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
That is a good advice to transfer avios to IB acount.i am also seeing a huge difference between 45 k miled and 90k miles neccesary for this award...thus leaning towardsdeciding for avios acummulation

Additionaly both charge around 400 eur in surcharges on this route on a rt ticket
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
That is a good advice to transfer avios to IB acount.i am also seeing a huge difference between 45 k miled and 90k miles neccesary for this award...thus leaning towardsdeciding for avios acummulation

Additionaly both charge around 400 eur in surcharges on this route on a rt ticket
Apparently Iberia redemptions are non-refundable, you might want to consider that.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am trying to decide where to start accumulating points in order to get a better value for an award flight.
I would be looking for an award MEX BUD basically and at least for Club Premier Aeromexico flight I would need 90k miles+taxes.

I am not a BA flyer, but as far as I could investigate for the same route I would need less avios points. Do not know exactly but should be about 55k+taxes.

Which points are more valuable given my intended award? Avios vs Club Premier?
FF points/miles are not equal to earn or use
How will you earn the miles/points/avios for this intended award?

A lot of airlines can get you to MEX BUD
http://www.wheretocredit.com/aeromexico

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...demptions.html
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Apparently Iberia redemptions are non-refundable, you might want to consider that.
Thanks, I will consider that.

Actually I do not intend to fly One World airlines as I am a *A flyer.
However, I have a credit card which earns points that can be transferred either to Avios or to Aeromexico points.
Therefore just tried to get the best destination for these points...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:38 am

Thanks, I will consider that.

Actually I do not intend to fly One World airlines as I am a *A flyer.
However, I have a credit card which earns points that can be transferred either to Avios or to Aeromexico points.
Therefore just tried to get the best destination for these points...
I forgot to mention that Iberia Plus aren't good at showing availability for one way flights.

I only found that out last week when someone on here mentioned it.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

At this point I am still not decided about AM or BA crediting.

Does anybody have experience booking partner flights in these programs? which is more difficult/expensive?

1.Taxes are high on both,
2.mileage requirement higher on AM then BA.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any other airline ffp's can the credit card points can be transfered to?

At this point I am still not decided about AM or BA crediting.
Does anybody have experience booking partner flights in these programs? Which is more difficult/expensive?
Have you looked? What airlines fly the possible routes? (will be many possible routes)
Join both ffp's and search for an award.
However with some ffp's you need the ff miles before a search.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...demptions.html
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Actually I can transfer points from my cc either into AM or BA program.

Both could be used for my route including some partners in their alliance.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually I can transfer points from my cc either into AM or BA program.
Both could be used for my route including some partners in their alliance.
Other than AM / BA any other ffp's?
Time to have a good look at the award charts & award rules for both AM & BA and fully understands them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.