Help with daughters plans

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Another case of 'post and run'?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Good news, I started researching flights to Switzerland for you to get you the BEST possible deal with the departure date of August 7th, 2015. I was able to search for fully refundable tickets with NO penalty to change the return flight.

Now the bad news, I had no idea what city she wants to fly there from. I'm assuming it's somewhere between MIA, BGR, SEA or SAN. Am I close?
Beware that even if the return date can be changed, tickets expire after 330 days. It is possible that she might wish to stay longer than a year. Perhaps she will meet a new boy/girlfriend there. Perhaps she will find another job. Perhaps she will decide to stay as a student or to start work/study in a third country without returning to the US. Committing to a round-trip ticket even with a changeable return pay not, in the long run, be the best thing to do.

Perhaps your daughter qualifies as a student. Take a look at the requirements of student fares at studentuniverse.com and statravel.com. Often times one-way fares can be found significantly lower than they are publicly offered; a similarly discounted return ticket can be purchased later.

Also take a look at discounted tickets available through ticket consolidators. www.dohop.com, www.onetravel.com, www.airfare.com, etc.

Lastly, consider low cost carriers. You might find better fares into France or Germany from where she can easily go overland.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It sounds like the price of a ticket is a stretch for this family. I'd really insist on the employers purchasing a valid roundtrip ticket, or the girl might be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by Indelaware

Perhaps your daughter qualifies as a student. Take a look at the requirements of student fares at studentuniverse.com and statravel.com. Often times one-way fares can be found significantly lower than they are publicly offered; a similarly discounted return ticket can be purchased later.

Also take a look at discounted tickets available through ticket consolidators. www.dohop.com, www.onetravel.com, www.airfare.com, etc.
This is the best advice in this discussion. Contact these two student/youth travel companies - they are very reliable, very efficient, and have excellent fares that can be changed much more easily than standard tickets.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Help with daughters plans

as the OP hasn't been back since the first post, and the travel at issue is very likely booked, continued speculative posts are not serving any point.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JerryFF
This is the best advice in this discussion. Contact these two student/youth travel companies - they are very reliable, very efficient, and have excellent fares that can be changed much more easily than standard tickets.
Except that it does sound as if the young woman will be subject to possible sanctions as an illegal worker.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by JDiver
Except that it does sound as if the young woman will be subject to possible sanctions as an illegal worker.
We don't know that. The Daughter could be a citizen of an EU country. That statement is just a guess\speculation.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by FN-GM
We don't know that. The Daughter could be a citizen of an EU country. That statement is just a guess\speculation.
Right. Sure.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
It is entirely possible for a person to have student/youth status for airline ticketing purposes and also to have secured a work permit from a host country.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
We are in post-and-run mode here. It's all just speculation!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
The OP has never returned to the thread, so all this speculation may be for nothing.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
In for the updates. Come on OP. Throw us a bone here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.