Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage rules/fees: Australia>Canada // USA>Canada>Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Red face Baggage rules/fees: Australia>Canada // USA>Canada>Australia

Hi, I am confusing myself on the question of baggage costs on usa/can domestic flights. Do you still pay if your domestic leg is connected to an international leg? I will probably be flying Per-Syd-Vancouver-Calgary on connected flights with Qantas/Air Canada, and back from Anchorage to Vancouver and on to Syd and Per (AC/QF again). I understand their is no charge for checked luggage (within tolerances) for the international legs or the aussie legs but will I still have to pay the $25 US/CAD that seems to be charged for domestic north American travel on the other legs? And when would this be payable? Also, would the luggage be checked right through from start to end of journeys or would they have to be collected and rechecked in at either/both Syd or Vancouver?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by KLMCM
Hi, I am confusing myself on the question of baggage costs on usa/can domestic flights. Do you still pay if your domestic leg is connected to an international leg? I will probably be flying Per-Syd-Vancouver-Calgary on connected flights with Qantas/Air Canada, and back from Anchorage to Vancouver and on to Syd and Per (AC/QF again). I understand their is no charge for checked luggage (within tolerances) for the international legs or the aussie legs but will I still have to pay the $25 US/CAD that seems to be charged for domestic north American travel on the other legs? And when would this be payable? Also, would the luggage be checked right through from start to end of journeys or would they have to be collected and rechecked in at either/both Syd or Vancouver?
If you are on one ticket with multiple legs that entails travel from Australia to the US, the baggage allowance and fees for Australia to the US will apply for the entire journey.

You shouldn't need to recheck bags at SYD on the outbound. As for YVR, you can read about the connection process here:
http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/passenger-guides/connecting-through-YVR.aspx

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 6, 2015 at 12:35 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Adam1222
If you are on one ticket with multiple legs that entails travel from Australia to the US, the baggage allowance and fees for Australia to the US will apply for the entire journey.

You shouldn't need to recheck bags at SYD on the outbound. As for YVR, you can read about the connection process here:
http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/...rough-YVR.aspx
If the ticket has stopovers in the USA, does the international bag allowance apply for the purely domestic portions between stopovers?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by Adam1222

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-YVR/...rough-YVR.aspx
If the ticket has stopovers in the USA, does the international bag allowance apply for the purely domestic portions between stopovers?
I didn't read that as what the OP was saying, as he wouldnt be concerned with whether he had to pick up baggage if he was actually staying in the city, but that would depend if it's a roundtrip ticket with a stopover or a multicity ticket.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

It's a multicity ticket just changing planes in Sydney and Vancouver.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:00 pm

It's a multicity ticket just changing planes in Sydney and Vancouver.
OP, I don't think you know what a multi-city ticket means. If you are just changing planes, and bought a ticket from Perth to Calgary that has two connections, that is not a multi-city ticket. That is a Perth to Calgary ticket.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

ok. I guess I assumed it was multicity as that was the booking formula I used online to purchase the tickets, the other options being one way and return. I also know it as open jaw. But I see what you mean, it is really just two separate point to point trips with plane changes.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:49 pm

ok. I guess I assumed it was multicity as that was the booking formula I used online to purchase the tickets, the other options being one way and return. I also know it as open jaw. But I see what you mean, it is really just two separate point to point trips with plane changes.
Right, I had meant the intra Canada flights aren't the multicity parts.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment will apply to all segments. Period.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment will apply to all segments. Period.
That wasn't the question of course, which asked *which* of a carriers allowances would apply. In addition, that rule is from a US DOT regulation, and it's applicability here is wonky jurisdictionally. Indeed Air Canada's own website suggests you are wrong, saying that that rule only applies on journeys beginning and ending in the US and Canada, and other tickets follow the most significant carrier rule. http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/checked.html (click on the "other carriers baggage" language)
On top of that, that only applies where all segments are on one ticket, which wasn't 100% clear from the original post, but has been clarified.

Also note Air Canada's rule : "Customers may be reassessed checked baggage fees when itineraries include an enroute stopover in excess of 24 hours."

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 6, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Gold/1MM UA CO DL US BA
Basically ur baggage will be tagged to final destination as long as u r not stopping overnight anywhere on ur routing. So if there is a payment involve u will pay when checking in ur bag.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP booked it as multicity rather than one way, round trip, etc., then it could be a genuine multicity ticket using broken fares. If multiple fare components are used, the situation could be more complicated.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by SHAAKQ
Basically ur baggage will be tagged to final destination as long as u r not stopping overnight anywhere on ur routing. So if there is a payment involve u will pay when checking in ur bag.
While it will be tagged to the final destination, OP will have to pick it up and drop it off upon entering Canada (at YVR)
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
As this is not an award program related question, and seems to be about general baggage policies, I've moved the thread to TravelBuzz.

If OP comes back provides more specific details as to whether the travel is all on one ticket, which carrier's ticket stock, how the ticket was purchased, etc., the thread may need to be moved again to the appropriate airline forum in order assure the best feedback.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

I purchased the ticket directly off Air Canada's website. All flights are connecting and on the one ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.