Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Name on airline ticket not exactly same as Passport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Our family is taking a Disney Cruise in April 2015 and I booked JetBlue flights for all 6 of us at the same time to ensure we could all sit together. Several days after making the booking I realised (my daughter called to point out the problem) I had used her maiden name instead of her married name (she has only been married for 17 years!). I called JetBlue thinking it would be no problem to correct the error but they stated it was not possible to substitute her married name for her maiden name but they could add her married name to the end of the previously ticketed name, and that she [B]might be OK provided that she presented her birth certificate and her marriage license together with her passport when we arrive at Buffalo Airport (We are all Canadian citizens).

They said quite a lot of Cuban and Mexican women kept their maiden name together with their married name without recording on their passports. This seemed to be encouraging so I agreed to them reissuing the ticket with her maiden name followed by her married name, although her passport only shows her married name.

The only other solution was to cancel the ticket and pay for a new ticket with no refund for the original ticket. The only problem is I am worried that this might not be accepted by the customs/security personnel at the airport.

Has anyone else encountered this same problem. What do you think of our chances of all boarding or do you think I am being too optimistic?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rugbyfiend
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:24 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I think getting through depends on which agent you draw and their level of reasonableness since the answer is no by the letter of the rules. To ensure no problems and potentially missing the cruise, a new ticket that matches the passport is the only SURE solution.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Which airport(s) and country(ies) are you talking about? Of what country is your wife a citizen?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Often1
Which airport(s) and country(ies) are you talking about? Of what country is your wife a citizen?
I suggest reading the OP. It's all detailed there.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
OP states they are Canadian citizens and that they will be flying either to or from Buffalo.

None of that is enough to answer the questions posed, especially given that jetBlue serves 12 countries.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by ft101
Quote:Originally Posted by mahasamatman

OP states they are Canadian citizens and that they will be flying either to or from Buffalo.

None of that is enough to answer the questions posed, especially given that jetBlue serves 12 countries.
Or since they are then proceeding to a cruise which countries they will subsequently visit.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is not definitive answer, since much will depend on the agents you encounter in your travels. The usual wisdom on FT is that this will not matter much. As a precaution, you should probably bring a (certified, they like that sort of thing in North America) copy of your marriage certificate and explain the circumstances, suggesting that your daughter uses her maiden name from time to time. This question comes up all the time in the context of honeymoons (less so 17 years later).
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
All 6 of us are Canadian Citizens, and we are flying from Buffalo (after driving across the border at Niagara Falls) to Orlando.

Rugbyfiend
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:18 am

I can only tell you what the TSA said when I went with my wife to Germany- bring Birth Certificate, Drivers License, and Marriage Certificate- showing chain of name change.

US- no problems getting in or out.
Germany- no problems except for one very determined individual whom wanted me to know that he didn't HAVE to let me on the plane, but he was going to anyway, after lecturing me about getting the passport fixed.

(2 years later my passport was stolen 2 hours before I got to the airport- and I flew home on my DL.... said same guy was there...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.