Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Christmas Morning?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:55 am
Original Poster

I always thought that flying Christmas morning (7 AM flight) was a great time to fly if you are looking for empty seats but looking at my flight it looks like almost all the seats are assigned. What is the normal Christmas morning airport traffic like these days?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's normally pretty quiet. Christmas afternoon even more so. But then again the airlines reduce flights more compulsively these days so maybe the ones they do operate are more full now.

The online seatmap is no true indicator of a flight's sold status.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What airport, what route? Lots of people on last minute flights to be with family etc, I should imagine.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
We have a bi-coastal Christmas many years. Christmas Eve with the South Carolina relatives, Christmas Day flights and, thanks to the miracle of time zones, Christmas Dinner with the Los Angeles relatives. These are not last minute flights. Booked in March and changed beyond recognition by AA/US schedule changes.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
As this is a general travel topic, the post has been moved to the TravelBuzz forum for further discussion.

Thanks.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
We are flying Christmas morning, so far our flight is only half full.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: IHGPlatinum, Marriott Silver
Flying DCA-PDX on Christmas Day, and back on New Years Eve. Have always been easier travel days based on past experiences.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold
My Christmas Eve near-ghost flight.

My upgrade cleared, so it looks like it'll be me and the other dude who booked an F seat for now.

Last edited by FTstudent; Dec 22, 2014 at 2:19 pm
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I always thought that flying Christmas morning (7 AM flight) was a great time to fly if you are looking for empty seats but looking at my flight it looks like almost all the seats are assigned. What is the normal Christmas morning airport traffic like these days?
I've taken the Christmas night overnight flight from New York to Sao Paulo each of the last three years. Biz class is pretty much empty and perhaps the airline gifts upgrades to anyone who has status. Not bad, gold and lie flat for a ten hour flight for nada.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
I work with international students - about 50% of the ones who are travelling home or for tourism for the holidays are flying Christmas Day. For many they have no family here/its not their major holiday so they jump on the cheaper flights.

My experience was that its a much more pleasant flying experience. Less crowds and also people seem to be very sympathetic towards each other. Most of the cabin crew I've spoken to seemed happy enough for one reason or another to be flying that day, and with less people who are more friendly they seem to reciprocate it back!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I flew LHR-LAX last year on Christmas Day and it was pretty quiet. A bit of a pain to get from Central London to Heathrow, but that's a different story.

However, given that Christmas Day this year is on Thursday, that may affect the travel pattern a bit. Perhaps more people are taking the days after Xmas off and therefore, starting on Christmas Day? To get a longer weekend?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

I stopped working on Friday. Why bother this week when everyone's thinking about Santa?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:10 pm
Suspended

I once flew from Caracas to Buenos Aires on the first of January at apr 8 in the morning,there were less than ten pax on a wide body plane !!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've flown long haul (TATL and TPAC) on Christmas Eve and Christmas night, but never Christmas morning. Outside of major hubs, lounges tend to be closed. You might also have to go through regular security rather than an elite lane or PreCheck; few checkpoints will be open.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I flew out of EWR to MIA Christmas morning a couple of years ago. Both airports were eerily silent. I'd suppose the traffic in and out of the airport picked up later that afternoon (as others have mentioned).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.