Wiki Posts
Search

Flooded Apartment - Need help trying to maximize hotel points

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Flooded Apartment - Need help trying to maximize hotel points

A friend in the Washington DC area had a really bad flood in his apartment and is being put up in a hotel while they repair the damage. I had encouraged him to stay at a national chain and earn points, Hilton, Marriot etc., so he could use those later for a vacation. Is there anything he should keep in mind to try and maxmize points for an exenteded stay like this? He will probably need to stay in a hotel for 30 nights.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I guess biggest part of this question is -- what hotel chain offers the greatest valueof/number of hotel points for a 30 day stay?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:36 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Sounds like a perfect question for the Information Desk forum, since this isn't related to a specific hotel deal. I've alerted a mod to move it there.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The insurance company might have a contract with a specific hotel or chain. Those negotiated rates might not earn points/nights/stay credit, nor do hotel stays that are direct billed in most chains.

If the friend is being told to find something on his own, he should start by understanding what will be paid. Residence Inn is often considered a good extended stay place, but it only earns half of the usual Marriott points. Other chains don't give points or other credit at all for stays over 30 or 90 days; for example, SPG won't even give credit for the first 89 days if the stay goes over 90.

Being in a comfortable and convenient place might be more important that small differences in the value of points.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure you'll get to choose the hotel, but I could be wrong. I suspect the insurance company will pay a certain amount per day, and your friend can do whatever he wants with it, or they'll have some agreement with a chain. I'd go for comfort and location ahead of a few points. Note also that these long stays (one stay, 30 nights) typically do not earn at the same rate as single stay, single night.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Most carriers have contracts with national chains and will have that set up on direct bill. A very few may offer to reimburse in return for a receipt. The former will likely be "no frills" meaning no points, credits or perks because the insurance company negotiates that into the discount.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. He actually gets to pick whatever hotel he wants, pays for it himself out of pocket and then they will reimburse up to a budgeted amount which is quite resonable. So given that set up, I was trying to help him maximize points.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Have him switch hotels every night within one chain.

Maximize points and status.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Does he have a hotel chain credit card? If not, he is missing out on one way to maximize points because all hotel credit cards give multiple points for stays. If yes, then seriously consider staying with whatever chain he has a card with.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:34 pm

I forgot to add.....

I feel the best blog for comparing hotel programs is:
http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea.com/#
I know that he has done comparisons among programs showing which ones are the easiest to accumulate points and/or status on. You could search his blog to find these comparisons.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP
You can earn more in a couple of nights stays on a promotion then you can in a month of stays without a promotion. For instance, he should sign up for IHG's Into the Nights promotion which ends at the end of the year and jump through whatever hoops are needed to earn that, and then he can do the IHG Set Your Sights promo in January. You can look at the hotel chain forums to find info on promos each chain is running.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Every night for 30 days?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:20 pm

here is a list of most hotel chains' December promotions:
http://loyaltytraveler.boardingarea....motions-guide/
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Every night for 30 days?
OP did ask how to maximize.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:22 pm
Suspended

I think the cost of taxi fares and your sanity might work against you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.