Wiki Posts
Search

Having two conflicting tickets with the same carrier

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Having two conflicting tickets with the same carrier

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of using the "hidden city"-trick to get lower airfare. This means booking a ticket between Buenos Aires-Tallin but staying at Heathrow (the connecting airport).

So far, so good. But the problem is that I want to book another flight from Heathrow to my "real" destination with the same carrier that is supposed to take me to Tallin.

Is there any problem in owning two conflicting tickets and only using one of them? What do you think?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:28 pm

Try to find a flight to your real destination with some other carrier - its Europe you should be able to find some other carrier.

Do not attempt what you're suggesting, you risk having a flight cancelled.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by noamaan
Try to find a flight to your real destination with some other carrier - its Europe you should be able to find some other carrier.

Do not attempt what you're suggesting, you risk having a flight cancelled.
OP would risk having both tickets cancelled.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
If your ticket is Buenos Aires to Tallin and then return, and you skip the LHR to Tallin segment, your return flights from Tallin to LHR and on to Buenos Aires will be cancelled. Only consider skipping a flight if it is the last flight on your ticket.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Since your query is of a general travel nature rather than a miles and points topic, I've moved your post to the TravelBuzz forum for further discussion.

Good luck.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If there's enough time, it might be possible to buy the first ticket, then (some time later) call the airline and tell them your plans now having you flying to your real destination. Ask them if you can change the ticket or just buy a new ticket from LHR to destination. If they tell you to do the latter, you're all good.

Or just buy a ticket from Tallinn to your real destination, if that's feasible/cheaper.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by adbul
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of using the "hidden city"-trick to get lower airfare. This means booking a ticket between Buenos Aires-Tallin but staying at Heathrow (the connecting airport).

So far, so good. But the problem is that I want to book another flight from Heathrow to my "real" destination with the same carrier that is supposed to take me to Tallin.

Is there any problem in owning two conflicting tickets and only using one of them? What do you think?
Just use a different variation of your name (e.g. omit middle name) and payment method for the second ticket and do not input passport (or FFP) information during the booking process.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by adbul
Hi everyone,

If you check luggage it will go all the way to Tallin. If you try to say "only check it to LHR" they will know you're scamming them.

As others pointed out, you run the risk of having flights cancelled, your credit card billed, etc.

How about just playing it straight and honest?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
If you check luggage it will go all the way to Tallin. If you try to say "only check it to LHR" they will know you're scamming them.
There are many reasons for short-checking luggage, of which "scamming" is only one. I've only short-checked luggage about 5 times in the past, but the matter of "why?" never came up during the conversations with check-in staff.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by moondog
There are many reasons for short-checking luggage, of which "scamming" is only one. I've only short-checked luggage about 5 times in the past, but the matter of "why?" never came up during the conversations with check-in staff.
However, depending on the carrier, there are recent reports on FT of many of the major carriers refusing short-checking for just this reason.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:39 am

Well, I do not think there is need for you to own two conflicting tickets. The flight might get canceled and you are at the risk of getting scammed
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by chrism80
Well, I do not think there is need for you to own two conflicting tickets. The flight might get canceled and you are at the risk of getting scammed
This is a risk that applies any time when connecting between unmarried sectors. The op's query isn't about this.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
However, depending on the carrier, there are recent reports on FT of many of the major carriers refusing short-checking for just this reason.
Not just for this reason. Delta would not short-check my bag to LAX on a BOS-LAX-MEL itinerary a few months ago. I didn't ask the reason, since time was short and the agent was clearly not going to budge, but a hidden-city price scam was not on the list of possibilities since a BOS-LAX ticket would have been far, far cheaper than one that continued on to Australia.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by moondog
Originally Posted by Often1
Originally Posted by Efrem
Not just for this reason. Delta would not short-check my bag to LAX on a BOS-LAX-MEL itinerary a few months ago. I didn't ask the reason, since time was short and the agent was clearly not going to budge, but a hidden-city price scam was not on the list of possibilities since a BOS-LAX ticket would have been far, far cheaper than one that continued on to Australia.
BA, the carrier most likely to offer the Buenos Aires-Talinn itinerary with a connection through LHR, rarely allows people to short check anymore - they don't ask why, they just refuse to do it. The trick the regulars on the BA board use to get around it is to book their onward flight from London out of LCY or LGW, thus requiring their bags be picked up at LHR. If the OP really wants to try it, he should look and see if switching airports in London is an option - but he needs to remember if this is a roundtrip itinerary that skipping any leg of the trip, will cancel all remaining flights.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I'm switching airports in London so the luggage won't be a problem. I've now bought the ticket to Tallin and will use a later flight with a different carrier from London. I don't see how that would cause any trouble. Thanks for all the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.