Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Retroactively claim miles in different alliances?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Last year I was stupid enough to claim 3 domestic Mexican Aeromexico-flights in my KLM account. They ended up being worthless and I was unable to change them back to Aeromexico as I plan to visit Mexico more often. I am trying to be a bit smarter about claiming my miles, even on cheap short European flights. I have these flights in 2014:
  • February 2014 - TAP Portugal - EU <> Brazil
  • February 2014 - Avianca - Domestic Brazilian Flight
  • June 2014 - Air France - Paris
  • July 2014 - Brussels Airlines - Brussels
  • August 2014 - EasyJet/RyanAir - Ibiza
  • December 2014 - British Airways - Amsterdam

Of these 6 flights I have only claimed the BA flight, which was easiest. I have contacted TAP Portugal, but as I made a TAP Portugal account in March 2014, they said I was too late with claiming the miles of this long flight. I have a Turkish Airlines account, but they seem to only accept their own flight, even though they are in an alliance.

Is there still any chance for me to properly reclaim the Brazilian international flight and the Paris, Brussels, Avianca domnestic flights?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ujjain
Last year I was stupid enough to claim 3 domestic Mexican Aeromexico-flights in my KLM account. They ended up being worthless and I was unable to change them back to Aeromexico as I plan to visit Mexico more often. I am trying to be a bit smarter about claiming my miles, even on cheap short European flights. I have these flights in 2014:

Of these 6 flights I have only claimed the BA flight, which was easiest. I have contacted TAP Portugal, but as I made a TAP Portugal account in March 2014, they said I was too late with claiming the miles of this long flight. I have a Turkish Airlines account, but they seem to only accept their own flight, even though they are in an alliance.

Is there still any chance for me to properly reclaim the Brazilian international flight and the Paris, Brussels, Avianca domnestic flights?
You can claim TK Miles and Smiles for the TP Brazil flights as they are both Star Alliance. However, you'll have to submit a claim by post as you can only retro claim TK flights online.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

How do you claim a BA flight that hasn't happened yet? (December 2014)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:54 am
Original Poster

What I meant to say is that the British Airways flight was correctly registered under my BA Executive Club account, so I have to take no further action for claiming these miles.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What I meant to say is that the British Airways flight was correctly registered under my BA Executive Club account, so I have to take no further action for claiming these miles.
Not necessarily. Sometimes miles don't post for no apparent reason.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some other threads on this topic
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...rn-points.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ill-claim.html
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:49 pm

For some reason (I don't know if this is an established "loophole"? Or whether it's just normal), I have no problem earning miles with both British Airways and American Airlines for the same flights flown.

So, for example, I earned around 3,000 miles flown on American Airlines. I logged into British Airways, clicked the link to "Claim missing Avios", filled out the info, and a few days later, the 3,000-some miles were deposited into my account.

I also do it the other way around. I earn miles with BA, but claim the miles with AA too.

And I checked both accounts: the same number of miles were posted to both accounts. No miles were taken away. So, essentially I am "double-dipping" my miles. Is this normal? I have no idea. But it's great!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by nsc168
For some reason (I don't know if this is an established "loophole"? Or whether it's just normal), I have no problem earning miles with both British Airways and American Airlines for the same flights flown.

So, for example, I earned around 3,000 miles flown on American Airlines. I logged into British Airways, clicked the link to "Claim missing Avios", filled out the info, and a few days later, the 3,000-some miles were deposited into my account.

I also do it the other way around. I earn miles with BA, but claim the miles with AA too.

And I checked both accounts: the same number of miles were posted to both accounts. No miles were taken away. So, essentially I am "double-dipping" my miles. Is this normal? I have no idea. But it's great!
Isn't this essentially fraud if you're requesting duplicate mileage credit? I wouldn't want an AA account audit to be triggered by this behavior.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't this essentially fraud if you're requesting duplicate mileage credit? I wouldn't want an AA account audit to be triggered by this behavior.
+1 - It's not "essentially" fraud. It is actual fraud and it's exactly the sort of stuff which AA -- above all other carriers -- appears to have cracked down on. You lose your account, your status and if there are any pending award tickets, they go "poof".
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
+1 - It's not "essentially" fraud. It is actual fraud and it's exactly the sort of stuff which AA -- above all other carriers -- appears to have cracked down on. You lose your account, your status and if there are any pending award tickets, they go "poof".
Oh shoot. Now I know. I had no idea. I figured, if the "missing mileage" was processed by the airline and allowed it to go through, it must be legit.

Is there anything I can do now? Should I turn myself in?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
A reminder to please keep your replies on topic. The majority of the posts in this thread so far do not actually answer OP's question.

Thanks.

~Moderator
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:01 am
Original Poster

It seems some StarAlliance members don't accept claiming miles that happened before becoming member. Some StarAlliance members accept claiming miles from the last 6 months, even if you weren't a member yet.

Does anybody know of a StarAlliance member that accepts claiming for more than 6 months ago?

I am a bit disappointing that Turkish Airlines only accepts claiming Turkish Airlines kilometers and tells me to call a free Turkish number, which obviously isn't free for me nor it is English, in broken English.

Also a bit disappointed that TAP Victoria just said "no" and didn't recommend me signing up with one of their partner alliances.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:01 pm

try A3 miles and bonus. they may let you do a full 12 months
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Teechop
try A3 miles and bonus. they may let you do a full 12 months
6 months retro for new members:

http://en.aegeanair.com/new-milesand...ms-conditions/

A. BLUE Card:
Basic Members, who have accumulated at least 4,000 Tier Miles within twelve consecutive (12) months from the date of their first valid flight that registered miles, will receive the plastic BLUE Card. The first 4,000 Miles that are a prerequisite for the Basic Member to reach the BLUE level are Tier Miles, as per the definition provided in Chapter 3 “MILES-CATEGORIES”. The BLUE Card will bear the same Account/Member Number and Password as the Basic Card. The Miles are recorded in the Member’s Account in direct association with the Card’s Account Number.

It shall be made clear that: (a) If the Basic Member has not collected 4,000 Miles within a period of twelve consecutive (12) months from the date of the first valid flight that registered miles), then the accrued Miles shall not be automatically reset, but shall rather be successively deleted, once one (1) year elapses from each flight event, effected within the said 12-month period. To this end, the Account shall continue to exist until zero Miles exist, except for the initial Welcome Miles (1.000 Bonus Award & Tier Miles, granted upon the online registration). (b) The twelve-month period for the accumulation of the 4,000 Miles will count from the date of the first valid flight that registered miles. However, new Members shall have the right to retroactively have flight Miles credited to their Account for a period up to six (6) months prior to their registration, provided they send the required documents (ticket coupons, boarding passes etc.) to the Miles&Bonus department in support of their claim. (c) The Aegean Bonus Visa and Aegean Visa Cyprus cardholders automatically register to Miles&Bonus as BLUE members. (d) For Aegean Bonus Visa and Aegean Visa Cyprus cardholders, only the first Welcome Miles (Bonus), acquired upon completion of their registration to the programme, shall be acknowledged as Tier Miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.