Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extra Baggage question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Extra Baggage question

I know its not a miles question. But folks here would have some information.
I am flying on Cathay from SFO to Bangalore, India. I have 2 checkin bags and 1 additional item (that doesn't fit into the bag). The dimension is about 33"x17"x1"
It weighs about 4lbs. Cathay's extra bag fee is about 150$.
This is just way too much. Is there another option?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Mail it.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 pm
HMO

It seems a fragile item.

You may check their rules for boarding items, it might fit.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by HMO
It seems a fragile item.

You may check their rules for boarding items, it might fit.
Carry-on baggage on CX may not exceed 9"x14"x22". The OP's third piece exceeds those dimensions.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:52 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by hithesh123
I have 2 checkin bags and 1 additional item (that doesn't fit into the bag). The dimension is about 33"x17"x1"
It weighs about 4lbs. Cathay's extra bag fee is about 150$.
This is just way too much. Is there another option?
I think the extra bag charge is $170 for that route. If you don't want to pay that, then the only realistic options are:

Buy a bigger bag that the item will fit in.
Ship it.
Find a way to get a 3 bag allowance - different carrier, achieve airline status, higher class of travel, etc.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since your question specifically involves CX policies, your post has been moved to the dedicated Cathay Pacific forum where it is likely to receive more appropriate attention.

Responding FTers will please note that this thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk.

Thanks.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Depending on aircraft it may still fit in the overhead (sideways taking the whole length of the bin). Or the FAs could fit it into a closet or something.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:05 pm

I have experience that CX allows me checking-in more than the allowance in terms of number of pieces when my ticket was a piece based ticket. But that time the overall weight of my baggage does not exceed the limit if it is on weight base. Therefore, you may be able to check-in 3 pieces as your 3rd one is really light.

I think the worst case is find some tape to wrap it to your check-in bags and make it one piece, unless your item is a fragile one.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Extra Baggage question

We've checked in 7pcs (allowance was 6), SFO-xHKG-SIN, twice, without an issue. The 7th piece was a standard carryon that we could have taken to the cabin along with our small backpacks in any case..

The first time, we were probably over the 6*32 kg limit (stuff while setting up home in SIN), but well under, the other time. CX SFO staff do have a reputation for being nice and helpful, but it could have something to do with them being nice to MPC elites (DM and GO, on paid biz tickets, and I had an opup to F the first time, while both were 'birthday upgraded' to F on the second instance).

I'd say be ready to payup- it's not too much as compared to what some other airlines charge, but do request nicely.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:07 am

Send it via FEDEX/ UPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.