Wiki Posts
Search

Courtesy Credit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Courtesy Credit?

I called Chase today to dispute a transaction from a merchant who tacked on a 50 cent credit card payment charge without telling me. When I asked them if they wanted a number to contact me if they wanted more information, they said that the case was closed and they didn't need more information. Does that mean they just are holding the money from the merchant and won't even give them a chance to defend themselves, or are they so sure the merchant won't want to have an investigation due to the costs involved that they just credit it to you right away and eat the cost if the merchant wins.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Courtesy Credit?

I'm pretty sure no one is batting an eyelid over 50 cents. Cheaper to give it back to you than to do any more work.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
50 cents, really worth a phone call...my time is worth more than that
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:42 pm

They did the same thing for me on an unauthorized $7.99 charge. When I called to report it, they instantly credited my account and said that they did not need any additional information. I'm not sure if they charged-back the vendor but it didn't seem like it.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:57 am

It wasn't with Chase, but recently I had a double charge at a bar using an Amex, and they credited the money right way after I did a charge back on the website. It was less than $10.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:15 am

It would cost more for Chase to pay an employee to research that amount then the amount being disputed.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Chase and other CC issuers pretty much all choose to simply courtesy credit small amounts where it costs them more to query the merchant and then evaluate the response. Few people see this anymore because very few disputes are handled by phone anymore.

The check on this is that Chase does keep tabs on how many of these requests are coming in. If someone is calling in regularly for their couple of bucks, this ends quickly.

The flip side is that the merchant will never know about the call.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
I think Chase will give you a credit for anything less than $10-$15. Anymore and the dispute process goes forward.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Chase and other CC issuers pretty much all choose to simply courtesy credit small amounts where it costs them more to query the merchant and then evaluate the response. Few people see this anymore because very few disputes are handled by phone anymore.

The check on this is that Chase does keep tabs on how many of these requests are coming in. If someone is calling in regularly for their couple of bucks, this ends quickly.

The flip side is that the merchant will never know about the call.
Don't they charge the merchant a big chargeback fee which more than covers this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.