Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Baggage Loss & Delay - Can You Recommend Insurance? (switching from Amex)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Loss & Delay - Can You Recommend Insurance? (switching from Amex)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Amex Platinum
Smile Baggage Loss & Delay - Can You Recommend Insurance? (switching from Amex)

I'm a fan, a big fan, of American Express assurance, the company that underwrites the premium lost and delayed baggage policies for American Express members. I pay $10 per trip, and whenever my luggage is delayed, I purchase necessary items out of pocket and Amex Assurance pays back quickly. Baggage delays are annoying, but dealing with American Express assurance is not.

This is coming to an end, though, because my employer is switching to direct billing via Concur. The purchase is will no longer be made with my personal Amex, and so I won't be eligible for coverage.

Can anyone recommend an alternative? I'm looking for an insurance policy that I can buy on my own from an insurer that is as eager to please as Amex Assurance. It's well worth it.

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Let's see if this gets some knowledgable feedback here in the dedicated Travel Products forum.

Good luck!

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:07 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
We just looked at squaremouth.com and chose April - 200$ a yr for all travel
We have not had any delays since
- maybe that is the trick. buy insurance and it is never used?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Do you remember what cover you purchased? Searching on squaremouth.com, I can't find a policy that provides coverage as extensive as Amex: up to $500, payable within 4 hours of delay (and Amex is free with air fare purchase).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Beware of Travelex (Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company)

This company is doing business under multiple names, including Travelex, Transamerica, and others. It has been selling insurance on travel websites, including Expedia.

My experience: They are happy to collect premiums but look for any possible excuse to refuse claims. And they don't do it quickly, either. They take 4-6 weeks just to respond.

My experience is echoed in hundreds of complaints to the Better Business Bureau in recent years. Dozens of negative reviews appear on sites such as Consumer Affairs, and Pissed Consumer

State regulators have documented repeated legal violations and issued hefty fines .

Be careful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.