Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Percentage of Points with Programs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

I was reading somewhere (can't remember which post, I've read a lot in the past days) that if I book my flight with AC, in cabins below Y, but claim my points with LH’s M&M, then I would receive 100% points instead of their usual 25% (Economy Basic) because my flight was with an alliance member. Is this correct? If so, then it’s always better to book discounted flights with AC and then claim points on LH, right?

Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:10 pm

No, you got it wrong. You always have to check what mileage the booking class on the operating carrier will earn in the FFP.

You got it wrong for crediting AC flights to M&M. Look up the earning tables.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Ok that makes a lot more sense, unlike what I read. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:21 am

No worries - just to give you a small hint: M&M is not known for very generous mileage earnings, unlike UA...

Low econ tickets on any *A carrier will most certainly end of with 25% on M&M while there is a good chance that UA will cedit 100%.

As said, look at the program earning charts for the airline you fly most and decide. I think you might want to look at UA. Even though it will be hard for you to get status they will most certainly credit 100% for AC on intercontinental flights in cheap booking classes. See below three program comparisons for AC operated flights:

AC - 50% for cheap AC IC eco:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...milesChart.pdf

UA - 100% for cheap AC IC eco:
https://www.united.com/cms/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=313

LH - 25% for cheap AC IC eco:
http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by karate123
I was reading somewhere (can't remember which post, I've read a lot in the past days) that if I book my flight with AC, in cabins below Y, but claim my points with LH’s M&M, then I would receive 100% points instead of their usual 25% (Economy Basic) because my flight was with an alliance member. Is this correct? If so, then it’s always better to book discounted flights with AC and then claim points on LH, right?

Thanks a lot!
Since this question is specifically about flying on Air Canada, I'll move it to the AC forum where the experts therein can provide further input.

Please note this thread originated in the flame-free Information Desk forum.

jackal
Moderator, Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.