Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

What are the "areas" that are mentioned in fare rules, etc.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver

I see this terminology here and there, like Area 1, 2, 3, etc... I'm guessing these are continents? What area is what?

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 24, 2014 at 8:19 am Reason: title clarification
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I see this terminology here and there, like Area 1, 2, 3, etc... I'm guessing these are continents? What area is what?
I'm not sure either. Could you post an example where you've seen the terminology used? I often see the same term used differently in different forums, so perhaps a link would help.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
IATA Areas

1: North America, Central America, South America, Greenland, Caribbean, Hawaiian Islands

2: Europe (West of the Urals), Azores, Iceland, Middle East, Africa, Seychelles Islands

3: Asia (East of the Urals), Oceania, (Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific Islands

mentioned a lot in fare rules

example in BOS-BKK on DL stop-over rules

2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT - 1 IN EACH
DIRECTION AT USD 100.00 EACH
AT THE GATEWAY IN AREA 1.

So you can do a stop-over at the North Amerian Gateway city but cannot so a stop-over say in Japan which is Area 3

Now if you are referring to a specific thread in the mileage run section, you will need to figure that code out on your own.

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 23, 2014 at 9:40 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:01 pm

What are Areas?

The MR thread and a few others aren't secret as to areas, if I'm thinking of what the last post means. They usually say C#, i.e. C3, instead of area #, and go in a similar order to above with 6 instead of 3.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
IATA Areas

Sorry scoow, I should have been more specific.

Thanks CDKing for the info. So they are called IATA Areas, yeah I see them in fare rules.

So I'm in Area 3.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by maverick17
The MR thread and a few others aren't secret as to areas, if I'm thinking of what the last post means. They usually say C#, i.e. C3, instead of area #, and go in a similar order to above with 6 instead of 3.
If they aren't secret, can you spell them out? I've seen C3 etc in other contexts (other than in the MR thread) and it would be useful to know.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
I should have googled first....

C1: North America
C2: Europe
C3: Asia
C4: South America
C5: Africa
C6: Oceania

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.