Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip from NYC to Israel?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Trip from NYC to Israel?

My wife and I have to be in Israel sometime in the second week of Aug 7th. I would like to visit Luxor and Cairo while in the area if possible though it isn't mandatory. I might have to fly out of Israel to somewhere and then from there to Egypt from what I gather.

I would also like to stopover somewhere on the way. I am very flexible as to where as I really haven't traveled much outside of north America other then a France/Italy trip last year. This is again not mandatory.

I would like to fly out of NYC. Montreal is a possibility as well.

I have right now

BA Avios 110k
AA 110k
UR 100k
Avianca 40k - or I will.

I can put a fair amount of spend in one of these between now and then. I also expect to pay for some portion if necessary.

I have never used points for flights so I am a complete newbie at this. Any help is very appreciated.

Any suggestions,ideas?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Coach or Business Class?

If you'd like to stop over in Germany, then redeem your Avios on Air Berlin to DUS or TXL, and then on to Tel Aviv. No surcharges are assessed when redeeming Avios on AB.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I would prefer business but I doubt I have the points for that. Coach would work fine as well.

Good suggestion for Germany. Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:44 pm

There are direct flights between TLV and CAI though apparently they're not cheap and booking them seems to be a bit of a cloak and dagger affair:

http://tgilheany.com/2012/04/30/gett...ditional-fees/

I see lots of references to El Al also flying this route but I can't actually see any flights from them. They may have stopped recently for obvious reasons.

At these prices though you may find it more interesting to also add Amman to your journey and fly from there?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

JFK-DUS/TXL on AB is 40K Avios per person in Business. DUS/TXL-TLV on AB is 10K Avios per person in Economy. (I don't think AB even offers Business on its flights to TLV; it certainly does not on its intra-European flights.)

So, if you can find the award seats, you could fly two people from JFK to Germany in Business, and then on to TLV in Economy for 100K Avios.

For the trip back from the Middle East, AA has a number of partners, including El Al, Royal Jordanian, Qatar, and Etihad. A one-way award is 45K AA miles in Economy, and 67.5K miles in Business.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

zkzkz- yeah that is what I was reading at TA forums. Expensive and a hassle. Not sure Jordan is much better but I will look into it.

guv1976- Great info and quickly to thank you very much. Anyway of stopover at Casablanca on the way back?

Of course as you said I still have to find the seats.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

No availability for August dates but I see Wednesdays are available throughout March (economy). Can I expect things to open up in July for August?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Trip from NYC to Israel?

The cheaper approach to getting to cai seems to be either a miles redemption tlv-amm-cai or tlv-ist-cai. Alternatively, fly tlv/sdh-eth then charter bus to ssh before flying ssh-cai on a lcc.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
The cheaper approach to getting to cai seems to be either a miles redemption tlv-amm-cai or tlv-ist-cai. Alternatively, fly tlv/sdh-eth then charter bus to ssh before flying ssh-cai on a lcc.
Thank You. I will look into that.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:48 pm

We went to Jordan Dec 2012 from Israel (Eilat border crossing). Had a great time. We visited Wadi Rum, Petra and Amman.

Royal Jordanian is OneWorld Alliance and you can use Avios for their flights...
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the data point farbster.

Seems to be harder to get to my other destination by points then CAI, now that I looked into it.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:13 pm

Right next to my TLV-HEL flight on Finnair last week was the check in counter for Air Sinai flying TLV-CAI. OP may want to check the prices on that.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Jay but I have found it is possible to get to Cai through IST or AMM and as I do not mind visiting either on this trip that isn't my problem right now.

Now if someone can tell me how to find award flights JFK-Ber or DUS by Airberlin would be nice. Seems they have flights everyday but nothing shows up on AA.com or BA anywhere near my dates

Perhaps another possible destination before TLV? Any other suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.