Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Help Wanted: West Coast <-> MRU (Mauritius)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I have 150K in SPG points. I'm looking to redeem them for roundtrip business or first class tickets this September from California (preferably LAX, but SFO would also work) to/from Mauritius. Thanks to my own research and a very helpful Redditor, it seems like I have the following options:

1. Emirates (via JAL): LAX-DXB-MRU
2. British Airways: LAX-LGW-MRU or LAX-LHR-JNB-MRU
3. Delta/China Eastern: LAX-PVG-MRU
4. Flying Blue: LAX-CDG-MRU
5. Star Alliance (via ANA): LAX-FRA-JNB-MRU, LAX-IST-MRU or LAX-LHR-JNB-MRU
6. Air France (via Korean Air): LAX-CDG-MRU
7. Qatar/BA (via AAdvantage Miles): LAX-DOH-JNB-MRU

It seems like the best way to maximize the possibilities to transfer the SPG points to JAL or ANA (getting 7x the 5K bonus), for a total of 185K. JAL quoted me a 125K price for roundtrip business class and 200K for roundtrip first class. Star Alliance on ANA is 104K for business class.

A couple questions:
1. Am I missing any routes? Is there any way possible to squeeze two business class tickets into this itinerary?
2. Do you think an award booking service would be helpful?
3. It seems like this is impossible, but just in case: if for some reason awards to Reunion, Madagascar, or the Comoros would be cheaper, I could do those also.

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TSNWork
Hi all,

I have 150K in SPG points. I'm looking to redeem them for roundtrip business or first class tickets this September from California (preferably LAX, but SFO would also work) to/from Mauritius. Thanks to my own research and a very helpful Redditor, it seems like I have the following options:

1. Emirates (via JAL): LAX-DXB-MRU
2. British Airways: LAX-LGW-MRU or LAX-LHR-JNB-MRU
3. Delta/China Eastern: LAX-PVG-MRU
4. Flying Blue: LAX-CDG-MRU
5. Star Alliance (via ANA): LAX-FRA-JNB-MRU, LAX-IST-MRU or LAX-LHR-JNB-MRU
6. Air France (via Korean Air): LAX-CDG-MRU
7. Qatar/BA (via AAdvantage Miles): LAX-DOH-JNB-MRU

It seems like the best way to maximize the possibilities to transfer the SPG points to JAL or ANA (getting 7x the 5K bonus), for a total of 185K. JAL quoted me a 125K price for roundtrip business class and 200K for roundtrip first class. Star Alliance on ANA is 104K for business class.

A couple questions:
1. Am I missing any routes? Is there any way possible to squeeze two business class tickets into this itinerary?
2. Do you think an award booking service would be helpful?
3. It seems like this is impossible, but just in case: if for some reason awards to Reunion, Madagascar, or the Comoros would be cheaper, I could do those also.

Thanks!
1. You have a pretty exhaustive list. If you're willing to fly into JNB you might have more options, like: LAX-HKG-JNB Cathay Pacific round trip business class for 125k Alaska miles or first class for 140k. Though Alaska partners with BA as well, you can only include 1 partner per itinerary. Also note that the BA flight JNB-MRU is only flown once weekly (Saturday), so that may not be practical for you. No, ANA's 104k price is pretty unbeatable.
2. Award booking services do the legwork for you, and you've already started it. They could have some tricks up their sleeves, but if you want to continue to DIY with FT help, you'll get the same results most likely.
3. None of those will be cheaper. They could help with availability though.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
1. You have a pretty exhaustive list. If you're willing to fly into JNB you might have more options, like: LAX-HKG-JNB Cathay Pacific round trip business class for 125k Alaska miles or first class for 140k. Though Alaska partners with BA as well, you can only include 1 partner per itinerary. Also note that the BA flight JNB-MRU is only flown once weekly (Saturday), so that may not be practical for you. No, ANA's 104k price is pretty unbeatable.
2. Award booking services do the legwork for you, and you've already started it. They could have some tricks up their sleeves, but if you want to continue to DIY with FT help, you'll get the same results most likely.
Thanks so much! This is very helpful. It looks, unsurprisingly, like all LAX-DXB business-class award availability for my possible dates is taken; I may just have to hope for some cancellations.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Only thing I would add is if you want to do EK F (at the 200k quote) you can top off your SPG account with their current sale through the end of April.

10k SPG points is $297.50 in the current sale which would give you 160k SPG and in turn 200k JAL which is enough for the EK F you quoted above and if available I would jump at $297.50 for F vs. J on such a lengthy trip.

Of course as you note availability is likely difficult for LAX/SFO - DXB in J and F so it might not be worth it (though EK just added a second A380 to LAX as of July 1 so there might be capacity once that is up and running).

One other option. You could do Etihad via AA as well but it would have to be 2 awards since you can't transit ME to Africa using EY like you can with QR.

That all being said if you want to do J (rather than F), I think 104k on ANA is a clear winner, especially if you can get on TK. Easy routing, good product, great lounge. Just be aware that ANA passes on fuel surcharges on their awards.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Only thing I would add is if you want to do EK F (at the 200k quote) you can top off your SPG account with their current sale through the end of April.

10k SPG points is $297.50 in the current sale which would give you 160k SPG and in turn 200k JAL which is enough for the EK F you quoted above and if available I would jump at $297.50 for F vs. J on such a lengthy trip.
Thanks! That's a great idea. Extending that, if I bought 18K for $504, it would get me (including bonuses) to 208K, and I could get two business class tickets via ANA. ANA's fuel surcharges would be about $750 per person, so I'd have gotten two business class tickets for about $2000 -- not perfect, but workable.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

One other option. You could do Etihad via AA as well but it would have to be 2 awards since you can't transit ME to Africa using EY like you can with QR.
Ah, thanks. Also a great idea, although unfortunately it looks like availability might be an issue, as with EK.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TSNWork
Thanks! That's a great idea. Extending that, if I bought 18K for $504, it would get me (including bonuses) to 208K, and I could get two business class tickets via ANA. ANA's fuel surcharges would be about $750 per person, so I'd have gotten two business class tickets for about $2000 -- not perfect, but workable.
No not bad at all. The way I see the game these days, freebies are drying up quickly but essentially getting a discount J for $1k/ticket is still a heck of a deal - especially West Coast to MRU.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
Thanks again. Any sense as to whether availability would open on this or a similar route? Business (other than Ethiopian) is booked on every route for any of our conceivable dates.

(Sorry if that's a dumb question. I redeem for domestic awards all the time, but this is the first time I've tried to do it for a major international trip.)
Old May 5, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most award space opens up at T-331 before departure or within a couple weeks of departure (when it is clear they can't sell it).

I would advise paying for AwardNexus or a similar service and it'll search every day for you and send you an alert so that as soon as something opens up you'll know and can act on it
Old May 7, 2016, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Most award space opens up at T-331 before departure or within a couple weeks of departure (when it is clear they can't sell it).

I would advise paying for AwardNexus or a similar service and it'll search every day for you and send you an alert so that as soon as something opens up you'll know and can act on it
Awesome! Thanks for the information, and sorry for the slow reply. I really appreciate the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.