Foreign credit cards at Indian carriers/portals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign credit cards at Indian carriers/portals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:45 pm

One more data point:

Successfully booked a Jet Airways domestic flight via the USA website, using a US Amex SPG card. No issues; transaction went through immediately; e-ticket in my e-inbox by the time I checked it afterward.

The website, though, only allows you a short time to complete the transaction before putting up a message that it will time out "in five minutes" from the warning......................

No seat selection offered (Z Class ticket in "Premiere").
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Bitterroot
One more data point:

Successfully booked a Jet Airways domestic flight via the USA website, using a US Amex SPG card. No issues; transaction went through immediately; e-ticket in my e-inbox by the time I checked it afterward.

The website, though, only allows you a short time to complete the transaction before putting up a message that it will time out "in five minutes" from the warning......................

No seat selection offered (Z Class ticket in "Premiere").
Were you billed in USD or INR?

If you are in biz, you can try web checking-in now, with your PNR and personal details...
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Were you billed in USD or INR?

If you are in biz, you can try web checking-in now, with your PNR and personal details...
The bill hasn't cleared Amex yet, so that's to be seen. FWIW, the ticket, and indeed the entire transaction, show US$ -- it's the default currency for the US site. It won't surprise me, though, if Amex applies a currency conversion charge against the INR equivalent................
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by aleph08
I have bought two Kingfisher domestic segments about a week ago using my Japan-issued VISA card and it worked smoothly, the e-tickets arrived via email soon after the purchase.
And I am pleased to report that the flights went without any hassle, just presented the e-ticket and was checked-in and boarded as normal. I was never asked to present the credit card I used for purchasing the ticket, etc.^
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Another data point

I tried to purchase a $30 Indian Railways ticket this morning.

(1) My Citi MC was declined from every "gateway" offered at the website - Axis, ICICI, HDFC, etc., incredibly including Citibank (India) as well. According to Citi USA they never received any authorization request.

(2) Amex was declined at first, followed by a call from fraud department. After I assured them it was a legit charge, it went through.

Lesson for future: Call Amex first, then use Amex.

PS. Purchased a domestic flight ticket from Yatra.com with US-issued Amex. Smooth transaction, no hitch.

Last edited by aktchi; Nov 24, 2010 at 10:59 pm
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by aktchi
this is very important....i always do this when traveling overseas....
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saad
this is very important....i always do this when traveling overseas....
Same here, when I am actually traveling. However, I don't usually call the banks every time when I am in the USA and am going to buy from a non-US vendor. Mostly it is not necessary.

In this particular case, calling Citi would not have and did not help as my MC was being blocked by some Indian center and Citi/USA never got the request to approve. OTOH, calling Amex did help because apparently I had never used it for Indian railways and their computers initially flagged my purchase as suspicious.

Last edited by aktchi; Nov 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
A couple of more data points from earlier this week - no problems using a UK-issued Amex on the Indigo site and on jetairways.com (with the location set to India to get the check fares which were not showing inventory on the UK location).
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat

(1) My Citi MC was declined from every "gateway" offered at the website - Axis, ICICI, HDFC, etc., incredibly including Citibank (India) as well. According to Citi USA they never received any authorization request.

(2) Amex was declined at first, followed by a call from fraud department. After I assured them it was a legit charge, it went through.

We book these tix all the time (with only India-based cards), and Amex works the best as it does not require seconday authentication, versus any MC/Visa...

It used to be exasperating to work with Citi's site, then authenticating back to IRCTC!

We used to have tons of reversals to check and deal with, so now use Amex so we don't have any problems. One also loses a waitlist position if ticket is not confirmed!

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Nov 5, 2010 at 11:40 pm
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: american airlines, united frequent flyer
Booking Trip in India

I tried to book a trip to Kashmir through 2 companies with the same results, the card was blocked before it made it to my bank. Both companies could not manually enter the card. The two compnies were Thomas Cook India and MakeMyTrip
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
It's very common for portals in India to not accept foreign cards. I have even been to restaurants in India where my US cards were not accepted.

Your best bet may be to stop by a travel agent or try airlines website directly.

You can also try makemytrip"s US website.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

I have generally had good experience while using US-issued AMEX at MMT's India portal as well as Expedia.co.in . Without knowing the specifics of your case, I'd suggest changing the card type if you have more than one: Amex, MC, Visa.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
It's very common for portals in India to not accept foreign cards. I have even been to restaurants in India where my US cards were not accepted.
I have never had a problem using a physical card in India (assuming the business accepts credit cards, of course). Internet transactions are a different matter---many of my countrymen are poor, unemployed and net-savvy, and so there is a lot of fraud.

Indian credit cards have additional government-imposed safeguards for internet use that foreign credit cards don't have. Hence most foreign cards are not accepted. That's just how it is.

Now it would be nice if Indian web sites would make this clear. Instead they just say something uninformative on the lines of "Your transaction did not go through...". There is no point in trying again, Visa/MC will never go through. Sure, if you have AmEx, try that.

One place I was able to use my foreign card was amazon.in, but it's not clear to me that it is a purely Indian site; they recognized my amazon.com login.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I have never had a problem using a physical card in India (assuming the business accepts credit cards, of course). Internet transactions are a different matter---many of my countrymen are poor, unemployed and net-savvy, and so there is a lot of fraud.

Indian credit cards have additional government-imposed safeguards for internet use that foreign credit cards don't have. Hence most foreign cards are not accepted. That's just how it is.

Now it would be nice if Indian web sites would make this clear. Instead they just say something uninformative on the lines of "Your transaction did not go through...". There is no point in trying again, Visa/MC will never go through. Sure, if you have AmEx, try that.

One place I was able to use my foreign card was amazon.in, but it's not clear to me that it is a purely Indian site; they recognized my amazon.com login.
I have tried amazon.in and it works for me too with my US login and payment. Snapdeal gave me a clear message saying foreign cards not allowed.

I had problems with a few merchants (physical visa card) in Bangalore who don't accept foreign credit cards. When the transaction failed they asked me if this was a non Indian card and confirmed they don't accept foreign cards.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC

PS. Purchased a domestic flight ticket from Yatra.com with US-issued Amex. Smooth transaction, no hitch.
Saw a Bombay newspaper article yesterday that said https://www.irctc.co.in/ will finally be accepting non-Amex foreign credit cards ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.