Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Passport validity while travelling to India?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport validity while travelling to India?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Originally Posted by prpratap
I plan to visit India in May, and return in June. My passport expires in November, so it will have more than 6 months validity when I enter India, and less than six months validity when I leave. Will this be an issue?

Also, I have an OCI card, and I was under the impression that the associated U-visa does not get transferred from an old passport to the new one. Am I incorrect in this?
No need to transfer the visa, just dont forget to carry the old passport with your new. its mentioned on the www.mha.nic.in OCI help guide.

But bear in mind that if you have OCI visa on one nationality passport and then you naturalize as another nationality, you cannot use the same OCI.

e.g. if you have OCI on a British passport and then naturalize as an American, you cannot use your current American passport in conjunction with a OCI visa in an old expired British passport. Both current and expired passport with Visa has to be the same nationality.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by prpratap
I plan to visit India in May, and return in June. My passport expires in November, so it will have more than 6 months validity when I enter India, and less than six months validity when I leave. Will this be an issue?

Also, I have an OCI card, and I was under the impression that the associated U-visa does not get transferred from an old passport to the new one. Am I incorrect in this?
based on what people have posted, I don't think you'll have any trouble making the trip both ways. d3vski has answered the question about OCI visa (no transfer needed, unless you've changed your citizenship)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
I believe it is possible with any multiple entry visas. I don't plan on paying the fee to transfer my OCI visa when my current passport expires (or every time my passport expires).
I wasn't talking about viass other than PIO or OCI.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
My passport expires Oct 2015 and I am going to apply for an India tourist visa for the 1st time. From what I can tell by reading this thread, I should apply for the 10 year, not the 5 year. Once my passport expires, I don't need to have the visa transferred to my new passport as long as I carry both. Out of curiosity,what does having it transferred entail - visit to the visa office and collection of $$?

Does anyone have same-day issue experience at the office in San Francisco? Should the $13 consular fee be paid with a separate money order? Does paying with credit card really cause delay as it says on the website? TIA.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by boxo
My passport expires Oct 2015 and I am going to apply for an India tourist visa for the 1st time. From what I can tell by reading this thread, I should apply for the 10 year, not the 5 year. Once my passport expires, I don't need to have the visa transferred to my new passport as long as I carry both. Out of curiosity,what does having it transferred entail - visit to the visa office and collection of $$?
yes, you are right....when you get your new passport your indian visa will continue as long as you carry the old passport....i don't know what the transfer entails or how it can be done....
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by ibr2008
i have a 10 year multiple entry visa. i plan to travel to india next month and return in july. my passport expires at th end of august - six weeks after i return from india. will there be any problems when i get to india?

i know that the rule is that the passport has to be valid at least for 6 months while applying for a visa - does that rule apply to every visit to india?

thanks
Just wondering if any update, I have the same situation, have valid visa but passport will be within the 6 months to expiry during the 2 weeks I am in India.
Does anyone have any experience recently of having entered/departed India with this kind of circumstance and if there were any issues?
Any feedback is much appreciated.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:17 pm

OCI and passport validity less than 6 months

Hello,
My us passport expires in october 2018 and i travelled to india on 8th June 2018. Before leaving, i talked to cathay pacific and they said as long as i have valid visa (I have an OCI) i should be ok. So no issues when leaving US and no issues when entering india (mumbai). The immigration officer in india did not ask any questions. So you should be ok. Just make sure to renew passport when you get back to your home country.
Pal
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ibr2008
i have a 10 year multiple entry visa. i plan to travel to india next month and return in july. my passport expires at th end of august - six weeks after i return from india. will there be any problems when i get to india?

i know that the rule is that the passport has to be valid at least for 6 months while applying for a visa - does that rule apply to every visit to india?

thanks
I have same situation. Have you actually traveled or got your passport renewed before travel. I am planning to travel next month. My Son's passport will have 3 months validity during return from India. Appreciate your response.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.