How safe is India for Americans?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How safe is India for Americans?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The cuts of meat in Spanish are listed in a post of mine under a thread kindly started by rkt10 in the FT Argentina forum. It'll make it easier next time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...27&postcount=3

It would make sense to start a South Asian food thread too, with a list of dishes as well.

Personally, I'm looking forward to some chicken makhani with a good dose of rice -- sometime after Thanksgiving.
Good idea ^
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:54 am

Thumbs down

I just searched on Dengue fever and found an outbreak in Pakistan and one in India, with isolated cases in Hong Kong and other places. The following is an article that describes some of these in India:

Of Dengue Fever Up By 32; 9940 Affected As Monsoon Ends

November 14, 2006 2:42 p.m. EST

Jacob Cherian - All Headline News Staff Writer
New Delhi, India (AHN) - The total number of people affected with Dengue fever in India has climbed to 9,940 as 32 fresh cases of the disease were reported nation-wide.

Health officials in the country say that the incidence of dengue is likely to decline.

The death toll across the country has hit 183.

As of Tuesday, National Vector Borne Disease Control Program reported 32 new cases.

A health official told the Press Trust of India, "Out of these cases, 22 are from Delhi."

Government reports confirm 172 deaths from dengue in India.

In 2005, 157 died while 11, 985 were affected by the mosquito-borne disease.

In the capital, New Delhi, three people died from dengue on Tuesday; all three deaths took place at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, a hospital where thousands of patients have been treated for viral fever since an outbreak in October.

In the meantime, health workers are turning to insecticide sprays across New Delhi in an attempt to kill mosquito larvae.

Typically, the dengue spreads as the monsoon tapers off, leaving behind stagnant water for the insects to breed.

Female mosquitoes are the culprits that transmit the mosquito-borne disease with symptoms ranging from fever, joint pain, headache to vomiting. It can also be fatal in some cases.

Generally, India's yearly outbreak ends when the mosquito-breeding season is over in November.

Nonetheless, health inspectors have been checking overpopulated residential areas for stagnant water left behind from the monsoon. In New Delhi, last week, authorities stopped all water fountains as a preventive measure.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
One of our friends who is Indian had concerns that we were going off to India again in November as she believes that India now is not safe! Not safe from disease was her major concern as she and her family had just returned and one in their party had come down with Dengue Fever. She understood that there currently is an epidemic through out many part of India that has been kept from the press, and recommended that we not consider going back to India at this time.

To treat the person in the party that came down with this dreaded disease, they found a couple of experts through out the US Healthcare system through colleagues that work at various medical schools throughout the U.S., and with their expert guidance, the person infected had a fairly good outcome.

I know of no statistics nor have I seen any reports other than this one case I heard about from a friend.
Sickness-related issues are far more of a concern for most American and European tourists than ending up in a criminally life-threatening situation in India. However, stay at good hotels, use insect repellant, and adjust a few other habits (especially those dealing with the hands and mouth, including eating/drinking habits) and most sickness-related issues won't arise -- even when there's reports of an epidemic in the India media.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by etch5895
I'd settle for some good restaurant tips for Jaipur and Goa, myself...

(since we are talking about food, that is...)

Speaking of food, someone told me once that the best Indian food on the planet is in London. I've been to London and eaten some pretty darn good Indian food (Bomboy Bicycle club being one restaurant), but does that statement hold water?
I think that is the case, presuming you are talking about restaurants and not including eating at home. Though restaurants are now a big part of Indian social life in the cities, the best cooking in India is still done in homes and not in restaurants.

If you are comparing restaurants, London has better high end Indian than Mumbai or Delhi (anyway, most Mumbaikars or Delhites are running to other types of cuisine for their nights out, like Thai). Part of the reason for this is that the quality of the ingredients is often much better in the UK at the high end - especially on non-veg dishes. The chefs are the same - there is a brisk transfer market for high end Indian chefs worldwide.

There are some super restaurants in the big Indian cities (often in hotels - for example, Bukhara in the Delhi Maurya Sheraton gets lots of press, though it is overrated) - but places like Rasoi, Tamarind, Benares and the other high stylin' modern Indian restaurants (which are not fusion) in London are very good (and at least two of them have received Michelin stars).
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Sickness-related issues are far more of a concern for most American and European tourists than ending up in a criminally life-threatening situation in India. However, stay at good hotels, use insect repellant, and adjust a few other habits (especially those dealing with the hands and mouth, including eating/drinking habits) and most sickness-related issues won't arise -- even when there's reports of an epidemic in the India media.
It has benn over hyped...My sister in law and my neice -- barely trurned 2 yrs old born in the US...are in India as I type...NO DENGUE....whatsover hit them ...and they are travelling all over the place....
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Ofcourse the OP can restrict himself to KFCs, McDonaldss, PizzaHuts and Ruby Tuesdays.
not unless the Big Mac is seasoned with Garam Masala

I can't remember the last time I ate at a McDonalds.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anaggie
It has benn over hyped...My sister in law and my neice -- barely trurned 2 yrs old born in the US...are in India as I type...NO DENGUE....whatsover hit them ...and they are travelling all over the place....
Along the same lines as above:

The Indian media tends to hype disease outbreaks. Personally, I've yet to meet anyone (besides politicians and some doctors) who've met anyone to catch one of the headline-grabbing diseases during any of the much discussed outbreak in the past decade or two in the major Indian cities. It's avoiding the more typical illness (basically upset stomachs) that are more of a concern than physical safety or headline-grabbing health scares.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by etch5895
not unless the Big Mac is seasoned with Garam Masala

I can't remember the last time I ate at a McDonalds.
A US-style Big Mac won't happen in India on the upcoming visit, but there's the Maharaja Burger -- which doesn't catch the fancy of those whom I've known to try it. Now the McDonalds Mexican chicken wrap that I get in India (which I've only seen at McDonalds in India) is another story (i.e., usually liked).
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
A US-style Big Mac won't happen in India on the upcoming visit, but there's the Maharaja Burger -- which doesn't catch the fancy of those whom I've known to try it. Now the McDonalds Mexican chicken wrap that I get in India (which I've only seen at McDonalds in India) is another story (i.e., usually liked).
Don't worry...to get me to walk into a McDonalds of my own accord would take a miracle akin to Moses parting the Red Sea. I am usually a strickly local eatery type when travelling. One exception...I have gone to McDonalds in Germany to get a 'somewhat' proper cup of coffee in a take away cup. The stuff you get at the autohofs on the Autobahns for 2 euro just doesn't cut it (the cup or the coffee).
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Now the McDonalds Mexican chicken wrap that I get in India (which I've only seen at McDonalds in India) is another story (i.e., usually liked).
Is it like the McArabia wrap in Pakistan and the UAE (i.e., two chicken sandwich patties in a flat bread with lettuce, tomato and some sort of secret sauce?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Is it like the McArabia wrap in Pakistan and the UAE (i.e., two chicken sandwich patties in a flat bread with lettuce, tomato and some sort of secret sauce?
The Mexican chicken wrap, unlike the McArabia wrap, doesn't have any tomatoes; the Mexican chicken wrap usually has one large fried-type chicken patty, some red/green salad stuff and some sort of "mystery" (to me) sauce and a bit of melted cheese inside a rolled-up thinner, chapati-like bread. (We ask them to not include the cheese on our Mexican chicken wrap orders, as a personal preference.)
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:50 pm
Suspended

The Mexican chicken wrap, unlike the McArabia wrap, doesn't have any tomatoes; it usually has one large fried-type chicken patty, some red/green salad stuff and some sort of "mystery" (to me) sauce and a bit of melted cheese inside a rolled-up chapati-like bread. (We ask them to not include the cheese on our orders.)
Similar concept then and a tad patronizing too if I may put my anti-globalization hat on for a moment.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Similar concept then and a tad patronizing too if I may put my anti-globalization hat on for a moment.
Very similar concept, but the McArabia bread is more pita-like than chapati-like.

I too am just wondering why Pakistan doesn't get the Mexican chicken wrap and India doesn't get the McArabia one too. If I recall, Arabic and persons/objects from Arabia came to India before there was a Pakistan.

Also, why does Pakistan not have a Maharaja burger and why does India not have a Nawab burger? ROTFLOL A nawab burger can't be any worse than a maharaja burger. With due respect to the "Quit India" movement (and it's equivalents in South Asia, such as "Quit Kashmir", etc.), maharaja/nawab burger could be tossed as far as I'm concerned. (This is not a commentary on contemporary activities of the former maharajas and nawabs still around or their families, many of whom make great contributions; it's a commentary on a food item I don't like and decades-old history.)

India doesn't have a McKofta sandwich. Nor does it ever have the mango milkshake. What's up with that?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Very similar concept, but the McArabia bread is more pita-like than chapati-like.

I too am just wondering why Pakistan doesn't get the Mexican chicken wrap and India doesn't get the McArabia one too. If I recall, Arabic and persons/objects from Arabia came to India before there was a Pakistan.

Also, why does Pakistan not have a Maharaja burger and why does India not have a Nawab burger? ROTFLOL A nawab burger can't be any worse than a maharaja burger. With due respect to the "Quit India" movement (and it's equivalents in South Asia, such as "Quit Kashmir", etc.), maharaja/nawab burger could be tossed as far as I'm concerned. (This is not a commentary on contemporary activities of the former maharajas and nawabs still around or their families, many of whom make great contributions; it's a commentary on a food item I don't like and decades-old history.)

India doesn't have a McKofta sandwich. Nor does it ever have the mango milkshake. What's up with that?
LOL

This is why borders should not exist!
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Originally Posted by grumbler
I think that is the case, presuming you are talking about restaurants and not including eating at home. Though restaurants are now a big part of Indian social life in the cities, the best cooking in India is still done in homes and not in restaurants.

If you are comparing restaurants, London has better high end Indian than Mumbai or Delhi (anyway, most Mumbaikars or Delhites are running to other types of cuisine for their nights out, like Thai). Part of the reason for this is that the quality of the ingredients is often much better in the UK at the high end - especially on non-veg dishes. The chefs are the same - there is a brisk transfer market for high end Indian chefs worldwide.

There are some super restaurants in the big Indian cities (often in hotels - for example, Bukhara in the Delhi Maurya Sheraton gets lots of press, though it is overrated) - but places like Rasoi, Tamarind, Benares and the other high stylin' modern Indian restaurants (which are not fusion) in London are very good (and at least two of them have received Michelin stars).

Agreed, but the restaurants in India have a certain local flavor than London just cannot duplicate !!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.