Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OCI Booklet a "must have" at Airports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:24 am
Original Poster

OCI Booklet a "must have" at Airports

Arrived in Hyderabad via British Airways and upon presentation of my passport with the U visa sticker the agent asked for my OCI booklet. I was under the impression that this is no longer required and a U visa sticker should suffice. I told the agent I do not have it but he persisted and asked me to stay at the airport and visit the FRRO office when it opens. After pleading with the officer for a long time he let me go but told me next time I must have it or else I will not be permitted entry into India.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:39 am

Was there a time where the booklet wasn't needed? I never knew. I've always taken my passport and he booklet together when I go to India.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
http://www.cgisf.org/notice/display/135

Had to google.

This is for foreign nationals of Indian origin.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Zulazai
Arrived in Hyderabad via British Airways and upon presentation of my passport with the U visa sticker the agent asked for my OCI booklet. I was under the impression that this is no longer required and a U visa sticker should suffice. .....
You got it the other way around, it is the booklet that is required and not the lifelong U visa sticker . See this Consulate General of India Houston notification on dispensing with the "U" Visa sticker.

I've made three trips to India in the last 18 months and produced only my OCI booklet and the new passport on which there was no "U" visa. The "U" visa is in my expired US passport which was not required.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
After pleading with the officer for a long time he let me go but told me next time I must have it or else I will not be permitted entry into India.
you were lucky he let you through....the booklet is definitely required....
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle
You got it the other way around, it is the booklet that is required and not the lifelong U visa sticker . See this Consulate General of India Houston notification on dispensing with the "U" Visa sticker.

I've made three trips to India in the last 18 months and produced only my OCI booklet and the new passport on which there was no "U" visa. The "U" visa is in my expired US passport which was not required.
I can confirm this from personal experience. Out of habit I used to travel with my Foreign national passport, my old passport which has the "U" visa, and the OCI booklet. Few years ago at check in at the airport, agents started telling me that I did not need the U visa anymore, just my current passport and the OCI. Have traveled to India three times since then with the OCI, without the old passport which has the U visa. No problems.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Arrived in Hyderabad via British Airways and upon presentation of my passport with the U visa sticker the agent asked for my OCI booklet. I was under the impression that this is no longer required and a U visa sticker should suffice...
Yes, I echo with what others have said that it is indeed the other way around. A few months back, I visited India with the OCI Booklet and a new passport without the U Visa affixed and they let me in without batting an eye.

I had the BOI webpage printed out in case http://boi.gov.in/content/overseas-c...oci-cardholder
OCI card holders shall now be given Immigration clearance on the strength of their valid forign [sic] passport and OCI Registration Certificate (OCI booklet, popularly known as OCI card)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:11 am
Original Poster

My bad. It seems I was mistaken because there was a lot of confusion back in 2012-2013 with a lot of conflicting circulars. Going forward I will carry my OCI booklet although it still doesnt explain why my valid passport with official U visa was not enough. What is the point of such sticker in my passport when it has 0 importance?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
What is the point of such sticker in my passport when it has 0 importance?
You seem to have answered your own question -- there is no point anymore

(At least as far as I am aware of)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:15 pm

What is the point of such sticker in my passport when it has 0 importance?
oh lets begin the usual rant...

a) What's the point of having multiple entry visa if you cant return to cremate parent upom her death just because you happen to visit her few weeks before in hospital? (It does not affect national security in any way)

b) Whats the point of your lifelong OCI visa if they require re-issued after age 50 upon expiry of foreign passport (Ucche Din to remove this most idiotic requirement have not come yet - Its a nazanal sekuriti issue for which nation is willing to wait 7-9 years until foreign passport renews)

c) Whats the point of maintaining official govt websites (Home Ministry, Finance Ministry and External Affairs Ministry) claiming OCI to be on par with NRI in financial matters and then not allow OCI to exchange old notes?

If you expect or trust Indian bureaucratic machinery to do something sensible consistently, problem is with you.

(/rant)

PS: For the last two times, immigration officer has declined to see my OCI booklet. (exactly same words both times - "Everything is in computer"). Guess they are only interested if they think you may not have it because then they can indulge in power trip.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by desi
oh lets begin the usual rant...

a) What's the point of having multiple entry visa if you cant return to cremate parent upom her death just because you happen to visit her few weeks before in hospital? (It does not affect national security in any way)
Is this restriction back on? I thought it was removed a few years ago after that fellow Headly got caught.

About the OCI booklet, I always ask the immigration officer, just for fun, what the rule is regarding the booklet. I say for fun because, there is yet to be one consistent answer.

The only piece of good advice that I have gotten, and heed, is to keep both the passport stamp and the booklet handy. I present them both to the immigration officer (as I ask the question).

FYI, according to the last gent I spoke to in BOM, a month ago, I am only required to have one or the other, doesn't matter which one.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Any guidance on which method to convert PIO to OCI would be faster/easier?

Within India. (As resident)

Out of India. (Probably USA)
Old May 7, 2017, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
Is this restriction back on? I thought it was removed a few years ago after that fellow Headly got caught.

About the OCI booklet, I always ask the immigration officer, just for fun, what the rule is regarding the booklet. I say for fun because, there is yet to be one consistent answer.

The only piece of good advice that I have gotten, and heed, is to keep both the passport stamp and the booklet handy. I present them both to the immigration officer (as I ask the question).

FYI, according to the last gent I spoke to in BOM, a month ago, I am only required to have one or the other, doesn't matter which one.
Restriction on multi-year visa was put on after Mumbai attacks for no sensible logical reson. It was removed couple of years back.

Yes, I do the same quiz of immigration officer. He is invariablly interested in only item that I dont show and loses interest as son as he realize that he cant harrass me. Only thing consistent about Indian bureaucracy is that it is inconsistent. Your advice to carry all is indeed prudent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.