Wiki Posts
Search

Delhi Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Delhi Hotels

Hi all, wondering if I can ask for some recent experiences on Delhi hotels.

I am considering the Shangri-La (I have some points to use up in the restaurant there, so not essential I stay there, I can always visit for a meal) and the LaLit (recommended by an Indian travel agent). I like the location of them, would one be significantly better than the other?

Key things for me are clean, non smoking room available, pleasant service (not for these properties in particular, but for others I have read not great experiences where the management argue and shout at guests, I am easy going and want my experience to be the same!) Good food (breakfast at least) would also be a bonus.

Many thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 9:29 am

I haven't stayed at the LaLit but from my personal experience I would choose Shangri-La.

Just opposite to the Shangri-La is Le Meredien (stayed at the Club Room) which too is good.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ok, thanks, hadn't consider Le Meridien but will take a look.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'd do the LeMeridien or Shangri-La before the Lalit (former InterContinental) in Delhi.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold
I stayed at the Lalit in December with my wife and teenage daughter and we all liked it. Buffet breakfast is large, good, and lots of choices. Overall, hotel was very nice. Room was a bit small, but fine. We were in non-smoking room and it was very clean.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all, the only non smoking rooms that are coming up for my dates at Le Meridien are club single bed, not my first choice of room, so may look a little more at the Shangri-La and Lalit.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
take a look at the imperial hotel as well....that would probably be my first pick in that area....
Old Jul 9, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, UK Silver, AA Silver
I stayed at Leela very recently and I can't praise it enough. Very good property (although smaller in size than the Mumbai one) and great location and excellent service. The restaurants were good too, although I didnt like the breakfast buffet spread.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:29 am

I too recommend the Shangri lal, nice big rooms especially compared to the Hyatt and buffet food is very good. Hotel on the whole is clean, quiet with vey good staff. I bookeda standard room at £90 a night last year, prices seem to have gone up now at £150 a night, which is surprisingly high!
If you do not mind staying further out then the 5* hotel Kempinski is best value for money but a good distance out of central delhi, i paid £180 for 3 nights with buffet breakfast included last year and airport transfer. Have used hotel cars at both hotels, basic car is about £10 an hour with a driver who takes care of you, more expensive car is more cash.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by emma69

Key things for me are clean, non smoking room available, pleasant service (not for these properties in particular, but for others I have read not great experiences where the management argue and shout at guests, I am easy going and want my experience to be the same!) Good food (breakfast at least) would also be a bonus.

Many thanks!

I've stayed at both the Shangri-La and Le Meridien within the last year. I was pleasantly surprised by the Shangri-La; my room was quiet and well-appointed, the staff was helpful, and the lounge was quite nice. The restaurant breakfast was quite good, with a large selection and decent quality on most things (baked items were a little underwhelming).
I was not very happy with Le Meridien. I had last stayed there about 10 years ago, at which time I found it cold and dated. I needed to be in the area for work and decided that I'd give it another go for the SPG points instead of staying at the Shangri-La. Its now even more dated (I'm sure it was very contemporary in the 80's) and I don't much like the "modernist" style; both the public spaces and the rooms didn't feel very comfortable. My room was also rather noisy, as the windows didn't seem to block out noise from outside the hotel, even though I was on the 7th floor). Lastly, the breakfast was very disappointing for an Indian high-end property. Limited selection and rather poor quality. If you choose between these two, I'd say the Shangri-La is significantly better.

If you can handle being a little farther away, I'd suggest the ITC Maurya. I had a great stay there a couple of years ago- my room was outstanding, the staff was very helpful, and the breakfast was great. My wife will be there later this week; I'll add an update if it sounds like things have changed from our last visit.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
I just stayed two nights at the Shangri-la. Although the service was pleasant, location was good, and the food was decent, I would not stay there again. This hotel is dated. The rooms are dated. The public areas are dated. For example, the shower was in the bathtub. It does not look like this hotel has been updated in 20+ years. Although in a different league, The Lodhi is my absolute go-to hotel now. I found that this summer they had incredible deals that made it competitive with even the Shangri-la and others price wise. I prefer it to the Leela as well, which is an excellent hotel. The Lodhi however is the very best in Delhi.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I have stayed at the Shang twice already.

Never ever disappointed with their rooms or the service. The hotel is actually in a very good location near the key tourist sites in the city and is not very far from the international airport.

The rooms are comfortable, clean and come with a bath tub if memory serves me right. Staff are attentive and good.

Breakfast spread is great..fantastic choice. They just re-modeled their cafe and it opened just before i flew in back in February this year and was impressive.

They also have opened a chinese and italian restaurant so it's a good mix.

I would take the Shang if you can either afford it or have the points to use.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by deepism
I stayed at Leela very recently and I can't praise it enough. Very good property (although smaller in size than the Mumbai one) and great location and excellent service. The restaurants were good too, although I didnt like the breakfast buffet spread.
I too have always enjoyed the leela's although the gurgaon location is better for the breakfast versus the one in delhi ....but that is a crap location unless you are in the city for business..and frankly, i took private cars everywhere in the city so if you arrange that, where you stay is moot to some degree. So i would also suggest having a look there although our corporate rates are always very good so not sure what it would actually cost.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:15 am

Hello emma69,
There are some hotels in Delhi That will gives you a pleasant stay with comfort.......
The Leela Palace New Delhi
The Leela Palace New Delhi
The Claridges New Delhi
Hyatt Regency Delhi
The Imperial Hotel
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan ;BA GOLD;HH GOLD;FAIRMONT PREMIER;SPG GOLD;PR PASS.
You must try the LODHI Hotel...A magnificent experience^^.
we wont stay anywhere else from now on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.