Wiki Posts
Search

India Flight Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

India Flight Help

Hello All!
Trying to book my parents a trip to india for Jan - March 2016. Our routing/segents will be:
1) YOW-EWR (ua)
2)EWR-BOM (UA)
3)BOM-DEL (AI or Jet Airways)
4)DEL-YYZ (AC)
5)YYZ-YOW (AC)

my parents will be travelling with 2 pieces of luggage each which is ok for the outbound to india and inbound to canada flights. However, for the internal flight fro BOM-DEL the luggage allowance for economy is only 1 bag at 15kg for both carriers (AI and Jet). for both carriers, I see an option to pay for additional luggage per kg but cant find an option to buy an additional bag.

Can anyone advise what the best and most cost effective way is to book this ticket to allow for 2 pieces of luggage?
thanks
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
sign up for the flying returns frequent flyer program & you will be allowed an additional 10kgs on all ai flights....
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Keyser
sign up for the flying returns frequent flyer program & you will be allowed an additional 10kgs on all ai flights....
(Per person)

Also note that new standard domestic allowance on AI is 25 kgs. - Just announced a few days ago.

If both can be combined, you are looking at an allowance of 35 kgs. per person.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
(Per person)

Also note that new standard domestic allowance on AI is 25 kgs. - Just announced a few days ago.

If both can be combined, you are looking at an allowance of 35 kgs. per person.
keep in mind that the increased allowance is only valid till 7th feb so if the op's parents are flying after that then the allowance will be back to 15kgs....
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Keyser
keep in mind that the increased allowance is only valid till 7th feb so if the op's parents are flying after that then the allowance will be back to 15kgs....
Interesting - I thought they were pushing that allowance as a competitive advantage...
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Hey guys thanks for the responses.

So I called jet airways and air India and received more info;

Jet airways
- when I called the call centre the gentleman said that if I were to book the flights at the call centre by paying $ US or CAD then my parents would be allowed 2 pieces of luggage at 23kg each. However I couldn't find any corroborating information on Jet's website. Not sure if the guy was taking me for a ride or not.
fare; $135 one way all in

Air india
- cheapest economy fare - entitled to 15kg and anything over is charged 250 rupees per kg. there was a higher economy class fare available which increased allowance by 5 kg to 20kg
Total fare; $CAD 257 for cheapest economy and $287 for higher economy.

Best option would be jet but not sure how accurate the guys info was.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by WGretzky

Jet airways
- when I called the call centre the gentleman said that if I were to book the flights at the call centre by paying $ US or CAD then my parents would be allowed 2 pieces of luggage at 23kg each. However I couldn't find any corroborating information on Jet's website. Not sure if the guy was taking me for a ride or not.
Appears to me to be a clueless character, based on what he stated - but you never know! (It might be valid! )

You were correct in attempting to ascertain the facts.

However, if they are willing to annotate the PNR - as you would be doing it through their call center, I would book it then. Cheaper anyway.

If you do it, call back again with another agent to see if they did the notation, else cancel.

Air india
- cheapest economy fare - entitled to 15kg and anything over is charged 250 rupees per kg. there was a higher economy class fare available which increased allowance by 5 kg to 20kg

More bizarre information, but hey - it's India!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:33 am

Unless there is stopover between the international flights & domestic flights, the baggage will be same for the whole route i.e. 2x23kg for international & domestic.

I regularly fly London-Mumbai-Bhuj(Gujarat) on JetAirways with connecting flights & have 2x23kg luggage.
Only when I stopover for a day or 2 in Mumbai then my domestic luggage allowance changes.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:24 pm

Jet airways

Air india

Increased luggage allowance for paying USD/CAD is true. I was offered the same option on IndiGo airlines last year. However the USD price quoted was about $100 or so higher than the INR price for the same flight. I did the math and figured the excess charge for the second bag would be something like $25 if I paid at the domestic checkin in India, so I declined.

Call them and do the math on the fares - if the same whether paid in CAD or INR, or within a reasonable amount, I'd go for it.

Last edited by zeebanker; Oct 5, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.