Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intl Transit without visa in BOM - Experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Intl Transit without visa in BOM - Experience

I thought I’d share my recent experience of transferring without a vsia (TWOV) on a connection on separate tickets through BOM.

I had initially planned to go on holiday with my partner in India for the Christmas vacation, but we had to change our plans when he was unable to get an Indian visa. I decided to book a separate flight leaving from BOM to BKK a few hours later on Air India to salvage our vacation and go to Thailand instead. Our initial itinerary was on Swiss.

I was very concerned that there would be problems. I read horror stories about the transfer and was worried about the possibility of being denied boarding by Swiss. The itinerary was now LHR-ZRH-BOM-BKK. Upon arrival at LHR, we asked the agent to check in our bags to BKK. We showed her a print out of Air India ticket, and she was happy to do this. She did not check our passports for visas.

Upon arrival in BOM, we were told to meet with an airport representative who took us to a transfer lounge. There were at least 20 other people connecting onto other flights. We had to give our passports, old boarding passes, and Air India ticket info to the guy, he quickly got us our boarding passes and then told us to wait for about an hour. About an hour later, another person approached us, and asked to come with him to identify our bags. We went down into the bowels of the airport, and ended up outside in the area where planes are deloaded. It was quite interesting, although bizarre. We had to go through a security check. I’m not sure why they needed us to find our bags, as we gave them the luggage tags. As soon as we did, we were sent back upstairs, went through security and into the main departure areas.

Overall the experience was quite bizarre (especially the trip into the luggage area). It took us at least two hours from deplaning to get the departure area, so transferring would not be feasible for a fast connection. Still, I was pleased we managed to pull it off.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:52 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Thanks for the report. Does sound intruiging, but not too surprising!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
We have a few BOM I/I transfer reports in this forum, no horror stories, it usually goes smooth. 9W will not ask you to ID luggage, BTW.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
international to international transfers in bom are usually quite simple....its domestic to international or the other way around that lead to the horror stories....
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
international to international transfers in bom are usually quite simple....its domestic to international or the other way around that lead to the horror stories....
I agree, it's always transfer by shuttle bus and you have to always grab your luggage. One time when I was traveling with my family we boarded the shuttle bus from the domestic airport to go to the international airport for the connecting flight. The bus stopped on the way and the grounds people opened the luggage compartments and removed a few bags. When we finally reached the international airport almost everybody lost at least one of their luggage. When we tried to file a complaint we were just redirected from one person to another. We never got our luggage back either.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ndnashlenz
I agree, it's always transfer by shuttle bus and you have to always grab your luggage. One time when I was traveling with my family we boarded the shuttle bus from the domestic airport to go to the international airport for the connecting flight. The bus stopped on the way and the grounds people opened the luggage compartments and removed a few bags. When we finally reached the international airport almost everybody lost at least one of their luggage. When we tried to file a complaint we were just redirected from one person to another. We never got our luggage back either.
Wow, that is awful.

I have never heard that before, and I hope it is not a regular occurrence. Did you have the CISF armed guard sitting in the front of the bus?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Wow, that is awful.

I have never heard that before, and I hope it is not a regular occurrence. Did you have the CISF armed guard sitting in the front of the bus?
No there was no guard
It was only the driver and the rest of the bus was filled with passengers. There were many poor people knocking on our windows and banging on the side of the every time we stopped at a intersection, hoping they could earn some money and we were told by the bus driver to look the other way. Which we did but that proved to be a very big mistake
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
I have an upcoming trip on Jet Airways connecting in BOM. I'm going from Europe to Asia with only about a 2 hour connection both on Jet. I shouldn't have checked bags.

It looks like I don't need a visa (I'm US citizen) since I won't be going through immigration. Just wanted to confirm this is the experience others have recently had. Looks by the OP post, thats their experience.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No problem at all, just make sure you talk to a Jet Airways ground employee as soon as you get off the aircraft and don't follow the crowds one level down, but stay on the level from which you deplane.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No problem at all, just make sure you talk to a Jet Airways ground employee as soon as you get off the aircraft and don't follow the crowds one level down, but stay on the level from which you deplane.
Much appreciated. Just checked on the IATA website and they say the same:

"Passengers transiting only are exempt from holding a visa when:
Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours."
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: VS Gold
Hi

Would anyone here mind telling me the experience that I can expect to transfer from SQ (SIN-BOM arr 22:30) to VS (BOM-LHR dep 03:20) ?

I will be on two separate tickets, and have hand luggage only.

Will there be VS transfer desks, for example? Or can I print the VS BP in advance?

Thank you!

Last edited by maxmin; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:12 am Reason: added details
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by maxmin
I will be on two separate tickets, and have hand luggage only.
Good that you have only hand luggage. Two separate tickets is ok as long as you can check in online for VS and print out the boarding pass before landing in Bombay. I would imagine that you can do this, don't see any reason why not.

The potential complication you have is that the SQ agents in SIN might give you trouble while boarding because you do not have an Indian visa. It might take some work to convince them that you are just transfering in BOM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by hyderago
Good that you have only hand luggage. Two separate tickets is ok as long as you can check in online for VS and print out the boarding pass before landing in Bombay. I would imagine that you can do this, don't see any reason why not.

The potential complication you have is that the SQ agents in SIN might give you trouble while boarding because you do not have an Indian visa. It might take some work to convince them that you are just transfering in BOM.
Ah, thanks... in that case perhaps I should apply for a visa?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by maxmin
Ah, thanks... in that case perhaps I should apply for a visa?
It would definitely be safer and give you peace of mind to apply for a transit visa.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by hyderago
It would definitely be safer and give you peace of mind to apply for a transit visa.
I agree entirely with the wise words of hyderago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.