Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Checking in at DEL for an international flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

How many hours prior to an international departure can a passenger check in with AI in DEL? Does it make a difference (a) if no baggage is to be checked in and/or (b) the passenger is a *Gold member?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
typically its about 4 hours....but given the fact that ai counters are pretty much open round the clock, they do have the ability to check you in earlier as well....

it makes no difference whether you don't check in any bags or have *gold status....
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Keyser
typically its about 4 hours....but given the fact that ai counters are pretty much open round the clock, they do have the ability to check you in earlier as well....

it makes no difference whether you don't check in any bags or have *gold status....
But will the security let you in too far in advance of your flight?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by knit-in
But will the security let you in too far in advance of your flight?
it all depends on the person at the door....some let you in well in advance if you tell them you want to use the lounge or stay at the airport hotel....others will stick to the 4 hours limit....
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:19 pm

The security didn't allow me, when I arrived way too early (at least 5 hours prior), but my flight was not AI.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I wouldn't recommend arriving more than 4 hours before departure.

My experience at both BOM/DEL:
First, the doc checker at the door is unlikely to let you in. If you somehow manage to convince him/her that you have some reasonable reason to go in early, the airline counter is unlikely to be open (unless flying AI/9W). If the counter is open and you get a boarding pass, the doc checker before immigration is unlikely to let you through. Once you do get through, the lounge staff may give you a hard time if you're more than 4 hours prior to departure.

After trying this a few times too many, I've now concluded that it's not worth the hassle to arrive early for a flight, and that it's worthwhile to leave the airport for a few hours during long layovers.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by puchong
How many hours prior to an international departure can a passenger check in with AI in DEL? Does it make a difference (a) if no baggage is to be checked in and/or (b) the passenger is a *Gold member?
Greater than 5 hours, and I'd pretty much expect to have a problem getting into the check-in area. At 4-5 hours, there is a decent chance that they may say wait outside. At close to 4 hours they seem to be way more amenable to granting entry for check-in -- like almost certainly.

Frequent flyer status won't get a passenger in any earlier to the check-in area when dealing with CISF types at the door.

If desperate to get in, then there may be the changeable/refundable booking route. But even then, that is not what I would do at DEL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.