Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India service to Washington (IAD) (2017-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Milage Plus, Sky Team

For the DEL-IAD service that Air India wants to start, which plane will it use?

Does it even have any spare planes that can fly that far?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Storm9
For the DEL-IAD service that Air India wants to start, which plane will it use?

Does it even have any spare planes that can fly that far?
Don't they have some 777's spare now that they are flying the 787's to Europe?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:39 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
AI starts DEL-IAD direct service from July 2017

AI to start DEL-IAD service from July 2017:

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/no...om-dulles.html
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i travel to the dulles area 5-6 times a year....this option would save me a lot of time as compared to transiting via either cdg or ams....but on the flip side i would have to give up my diamond status with delta if i switch over all these flights to ai....tough choice....lets see how well this flight does initially....
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Keyser
i travel to the dulles area 5-6 times a year....this option would save me a lot of time as compared to transiting via either cdg or ams....but on the flip side i would have to give up my diamond status with delta if i switch over all these flights to ai....tough choice....lets see how well this flight does initially....
Do you find your Delta status useful flying between N.A and India? Wouldn't Star be better? Its getting really hard to redeem any good values between India and the US since last fall when DL raised its J redemption to 97.5k o/w.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by knit-in
Do you find your Delta status useful flying between N.A and India? Wouldn't Star be better? Its getting really hard to redeem any good values between India and the US since last fall when DL raised its J redemption to 97.5k o/w.
delta status is not at all useful between india & the us & as you said, redemption took a big hit when dl raised its rates but i find delta status to be of great value when i am in the us....upgrades, lounge access, free luggage, no cancellation charges on award tickets, etc make it worthwhile for me....

on the other hand i have top status with star alliance as well since i end up taking over 100 domestic flights on ai every year....
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:22 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Originally Posted by knit-in
I fly to India quite a bit, and used to be loyal to NW/DL. I burned all my DL Skymiles (280K) on two J tickets just before the devaluation. Now I am almost out of DL/Skyteam. I fly OW and *A now.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
delta status is not at all useful between india & the us & as you said, redemption took a big hit when dl raised its rates but i find delta status to be of great value when i am in the us....upgrades, lounge access, free luggage, no cancellation charges on award tickets, etc make it worthwhile for me....

on the other hand i have top status with star alliance as well since i end up taking over 100 domestic flights on ai every year....
I only manage FO on DL, and find it entirely useless. The 70k sweet spot with redemption in J on VS kept me in the Skymiles game. Now, the only choice seems to be on Aeroflot at 97.5k with a heavy tax bill attached.

While I never ever want to set foot on United, which means never reaching Elite status, Star Alliance seems like the best bet for me since there always seems to be good availability for 80k o/w.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by yrs
I fly to India quite a bit, and used to be loyal to NW/DL. I burned all my DL Skymiles (280K) on two J tickets just before the devaluation. Now I am almost out of DL/Skyteam. I fly OW and *A now.
Which Star Alliance airline program are you a member of? My cousin, also an ardent frequent flier, suggested I tried Air Canada.

Lucky break on the J awards before the devaluation! Kudos ^
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:14 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
I wil be flying AI for the first time from IAD-DEL on J class. I am *G (United Platinum), so I can use LH-Sen or TK *G lounge in IAD. Has AI contracted with any other airline lounge?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH & TK will let you into their lounge as *G travelling AI without issues. AI 104 leaves from B45, so its near to the LH/TK lounges.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Air India Lounge - IAD?

Apologize if this has been asked before - does AI have a lounge in IAD?
Thanks,
D
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
AI uses *G lounges.

But I don't believe AI has its own lounge in IAD.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by garykung
AI uses *G lounges.

But I don't believe AI has its own lounge in IAD.
Ok, thank you.For some reason, I thought there would be NO lounge access. Looks like there will be a lounge at least...
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no ai lounge but you can use the united lounge....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.