Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Lost bag and Air India is giving the run-around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

My first new thread.

My wife flew from CLT to AMD on Saturday January 14. CLT - JFK was Jet Blue. The rest was Air India.

Two checked bags made it fine. They gate checked her carry-on which had ALL her clothes as she was scared of one of the checked bags not making it. Well, the gate checked carry on is MIA.

Now, after 3 days, the AMD baggage people are giving my wife the run-around. They told her to call Jet Blue to get her off the phone. I just got off the phone with Jet Blue and they were able to track the bag as being delivered to T4 at JFK at 1:00 PM along with the other two checked bags. Jet Blue confirmed this with their transfer partner and I am certain the bag was given to Air India at T4 the day of departure along with the other two bags.

Likely, the missing bag is in DEL or BOM where the plane went on to after departing (AI 102).

How do I handle this? With me being here in the US, I cannot even call them and cause a ruckus with Air India.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I wonder if the tag information was sent to AI when B6 gatechecked the bag. If the computer isn't set up to transmit that information, then AI would have left the bag behind in JFK.

In general, it's good practice to show baggage tags to the next airline before boarding, to ensure that the numbers are in the computer. After the AI 182 bombing, all international flights are very strict about passenger-bag matching.

If you've placed a claim at AMD with AI, there's not much more you can do. You should check if your credit card or travel insurance will reimburse for new clothing purchases due to the baggage delivery delay.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you.

Even B6 is having trouble with the tag. The gate checked tag is NOT in the system. They had to call their transfer partner to look up that tag and they were able to locate information on that bag but its not a part of her PNR. They can only see the 2 checked bags even in their own system.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dvpatel
Thank you.

Even B6 is having trouble with the tag. The gate checked tag is NOT in the system. They had to call their transfer partner to look up that tag and they were able to locate information on that bag but its not a part of her PNR. They can only see the 2 checked bags even in their own system.
That explains everything. As I mentioned, after the AI 182 bombing, it is illegal for a bag to be carried on an international flight if it isn't matched with a passenger onboard. I'd bet good money the bag is floating around JFK airport somewhere. Maybe worthwhile to call up the Air India airport office at JFK and explain the situation (bag not in system, so you probably offloaded it), to see if they can help locate it.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm willing to bet that its still lying in JFK T4.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Easier said than done. I cannot get a hold of any of the morons in JFK. They have 3 different numbers. One is disconnected. One only has a recording and the last one has a menu and baggage claim or any other option all go to voice mail.

Man I had a bad feeling about Air India and its coming out to be very very true.

Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I wonder if the tag information was sent to AI when B6 gatechecked the bag. If the computer isn't set up to transmit that information, then AI would have left the bag behind in JFK.
Seems like B6 is answerable here.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
Seems like B6 is answerable here.
Yep, and it doesn't really surprise me. B6 built all their systems expecting only online domestic pax (where passenger-bag match is not required) and never bothered to fix it (or realized they need to fix it) when they started interlining internationally.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:27 pm

The airline delivering you to the final destination (if on one ticket) is responsible, in this case AI. You have to pressure them.

Also, do you know someone in NYC? I left my sons carry-on curb side at JFK when getting into a limo and only realized once we got home. Calling got us nowhere. When dropping off someone a few days later, I passed by lost luggage in the terminal and the bag was right there. They said they called the number on the ID tag but it was my kids cellphone and kids don't pick up the phone anymore. They only text.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by erik123
The airline delivering you to the final destination (if on one ticket) is responsible, in this case AI. You have to pressure them.
That's true most of the time. In this case, however, it may not be necessarily be the best idea. If the bag doesn't exist in AI's system (due to B6's screw up), there's only so much AI will be able to do.

There have been a variety of similar situations posted on FlyerTalk (most memorably an EK-BA connection which got completely screwed up) where the poster was only able to resolve the situation by talking to the originating carrier. Talking to the delivering carrier is generally the best practice, except in cases when the delivering carrier doesn't have any record that your bag exists.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Easier said than done. I cannot get a hold of any of the morons in JFK. They have 3 different numbers. One is disconnected. One only has a recording and the last one has a menu and baggage claim or any other option all go to voice mail.
ask b6 to check with ai in jfk....they may be willing to do that....
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by erik123

Also, do you know someone in NYC? I left my sons carry-on curb side at JFK when getting into a limo and only realized once we got home. Calling got us nowhere. When dropping off someone a few days later, I passed by lost luggage in the terminal and the bag was right there. They said they called the number on the ID tag but it was my kids cellphone and kids don't pick up the phone anymore. They only text.
If one were to, by mistake, leave a bag curbside, clearly no one particular airline would be responsible for it, so is there a general Lost Luggage counter at every terminal at JFK?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
ask b6 to check with ai in jfk....they may be willing to do that....
I have rattled a few cages at AI. Spoke to a supervisor (no idea if he really was one) for lost baggage at AI and he has promised to follow up and resolve this. B6 says they delivered the bag and use a transfer company to do so. So I cannot lean too heavily on them after they confirmed via the transfer agency logs/records that the bag was indeed part of the baggage delivered to AI at T4 on 1/14/2017 at 1:00 PM.

Today at 11:15 AM, someone from AI JFK called me as well (I had left 3 VMs yesterday pleading with them to help find the bag). She asked for all the details and also asked to describe the contents of the bag so that if the tag was broken off, they can still find and ship that bag. She too promised a call back today but its only been 3 hours or so. If that bag is at JFK, odds of it making it on to today's AI102 look slim as its almost 2 PM.

But, lets see what pans out between wife and dad grilling AMD AI Baggage dept, I grilling the 1-800 baggage folks and pleading with JFK folks.

Hoping for the best.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:58 pm

I have rattled a few cages at AI. Spoke to a supervisor (no idea if he really was one) for lost baggage at AI and he has promised to follow up and resolve this. B6 says they delivered the bag and use a transfer company to do so. So I cannot lean too heavily on them after they confirmed via the transfer agency logs/records that the bag was indeed part of the baggage delivered to AI at T4 on 1/14/2017 at 1:00 PM.

Today at 11:15 AM, someone from AI JFK called me as well (I had left 3 VMs yesterday pleading with them to help find the bag). She asked for all the details and also asked to describe the contents of the bag so that if the tag was broken off, they can still find and ship that bag. She too promised a call back today but its only been 3 hours or so. If that bag is at JFK, odds of it making it on to today's AI102 look slim as its almost 2 PM.

But, lets see what pans out between wife and dad grilling AMD AI Baggage dept, I grilling the 1-800 baggage folks and pleading with JFK folks.

Hoping for the best.
Wish you the best. I feel like it will be found at JFK.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
If one were to, by mistake, leave a bag curbside, clearly no one particular airline would be responsible for it, so is there a general Lost Luggage counter at every terminal at JFK?
I believe so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.