Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

The best Indian credit card for air miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The best Indian credit card for air miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Jet Privilege
Lightbulb The best Indian credit card for air miles

Folks,

I have gone through all of the credit card related posts on this forum and couldn't really find an answer, so thought of opening a new thread. My apologies if this is a repeat in any way.

So I have been using ICICI Bank JP Sapphiro on both Visa/AMEX since the last 2.5 years, along with AMEX own JP Platinum card.

I been seriously considering dumping one of those cards in the next cycle and getting a new CC which offers flexibility with mileage earning and respectable earning ratio.

I have read in detail how experienced users have grown disenchanted with Citi Premier Miles and off late, with HDFC Diners Club. Thus, my question to all you kind folks is simple:

Which Indian credit card would you recommend me to apply for now?

Thanks very much.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
I'm sure most people here would advice to go for Citi Prestige if you can.

However, with the sudden devaluation of HDFC Diners, Premier Miles isn't appearing too bad at the moment either. Short of Prestige, I am genuinely struggling to find a card that usurps it comprehensively for flexible currency. Citi tends to give prior notices for devaluations too, which helps it bit.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Prestige might be stretching my budget bit too much.

what would you guys recommend between HDFC Diners and Citi PM?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Till last month, I'd have told anyone to go for Diners. Now that they have put a cap on earning and decimated all partners except 3, I'd actually advice you to go for Citi PM.

Axis-Vistara proposition I'm not convinced at this point in time, and same goes for Diners Jet.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:54 am

While HDFC Diners has certainly become less attractive by reducing transfer partners and putting a cap on monthly points, I think it still remains the best option currently for a lot of people. The 50,000 point cap translates into earning points on spending of upto 1.5 lakhs a month, which isn't bad. Further with Flipkart, Goibibo, MMT and Uber as partners, you still have earning opportunities on big-ticket categories like ecommerce and travel. Until these partners remain in place, I would still vote for it as the best travel card.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Vishal Mehra
Prestige might be stretching my budget bit too much.

what would you guys recommend between HDFC Diners and Citi PM?
prestige would be my recommendation as well but if your budget doesn't allow it then go for the citi pm....
Old Sep 21, 2016, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
prestige would be my recommendation as well but if your budget doesn't allow it then go for the citi pm....
Any particular reason you would suggest PM over Diners Club? I don't think ill b spending more than 18 lakhs/year, thus ill be fine with DC limit of 50k.

Sorry, If I'm pushing too much with my queries, just curious about your recommendation of a 3k/annual card over a 10k/annual card
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:15 pm

Any particular reason you would suggest PM over Diners Club? I don't think ill b spending more than 18 lakhs/year, thus ill be fine with DC limit of 50k.

Sorry, If I'm pushing too much with my queries, just curious about your recommendation of a 3k/annual card over a 10k/annual card
Actually, if you're spending above 5 lakhs/year, then the Diners is a zero fee card.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

if you are fine with a limit then either one is fine....
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Alright! Cheers folks. Have filled up initial application for both for now.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:29 am

Alright! Cheers folks. Have filled up initial application for both for now.
how to apply diners black ? I have been told its discontinued
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by streetlife
how to apply diners black ? I have been told its discontinued
Discontinued?? Who told you that!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Hi, would anyone know if the citi prestige card is only for income above 40 lacs, or is it possible to get one with a lower income also. Also if anyone has a contact that they can share for the same it would be great. Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
Hi, would anyone know if the citi prestige card is only for income above 40 lacs, or is it possible to get one with a lower income also. Also if anyone has a contact that they can share for the same it would be great. Cheers.
Call the Prestige helpline. It helps if you already have a existing relationship with them
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
When I applied, I was clearly told by the agent that the criteria is either annual income above Rs. 40 lakhs, or upgrade an existing Citi card with a credit limit of at least Rs. 5 lkahs.

In case your annual income isn't above 40 lakhs, you can request for an enhancement in credit limit of any existing Citi card to Rs. 5 lakhs, and once that is done, call and request an upgrade to Citi Prestige. To request for an enhancement, you will need to submit scanned copies of a few income proofs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.