Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India - clearing customs on way to Dhaka

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT

Hi - any expert know the answer why?

Last time I flew AI from London to Dhaka via DEL and CCU, I had to clear immigration and customs in Delhi. This allowed me to drop off my checked luggage in Delhi and continue to Dhaka with my hand luggage.

This time (slightly different flights but same route: LHR-DEL-CCU-DAC) I am told that I will clear immigration in CCU and won't need to clear customs in India at all, only in Dhaka. Can this be right? (flights A112,ai20,Ai230)

I thought India was like US, where immigration and customs are cleared ar first port of entry.

Have the rules changed?
Joe
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by joepubli

Last time I flew AI from London to Dhaka via DEL and CCU, I had to clear immigration and customs in Delhi. This allowed me to drop off my checked luggage in Delhi and continue to Dhaka with my hand luggage.

This time (slightly different flights but same route: LHR-DEL-CCU-DAC) I am told that I will clear immigration in CCU and won't need to clear customs in India at all, only in Dhaka. Can this be right? (flights A112,ai20,Ai230)

I thought India was like US, where immigration and customs are cleared ar first port of entry.

Have the rules changed?
Joe
Certain flights between domestic destinations (including yours, AI20) are flights in which domestic and international passengers are mixed. You transfer in DEL just like international-to-international. If CCU were your final destination, you would clear immigration and Customs there.

Now what I don't understand is why you would need to clear immigration in CCU if you were going to DAC. Certainly CCU doesn't see much in the way of international transfers, but I would assume they can arrange it as needed, so you should pass immigration only in DAC.

In any case, if you need to dump your luggage in DEL, you are out of luck unless you can change your DEL-CCU flight to something other than AI20 or AI22.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Certain flights between domestic destinations (including yours, AI20) are flights in which domestic and international passengers are mixed. You transfer in DEL just like international-to-international. If CCU were your final destination, you would clear immigration and Customs there.
Thanks SeeBuyFly. Didn't know that! do you know where to find a list of these "certain flights" so that I can avoid them in future?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:57 pm

The info is right here on FT. There is a wiki in

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...ngreturns.html

See first para of wiki. It only tells you which flights leave from international gates, but the consequence is that there are no border formalities in DEL.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Apr 13, 2016 at 11:53 pm
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
I know for sure there is a transfer desk before immigration at the kolkata airport. I am pretty sure you would not need to clear immigration at all if your bags are tagged to Dhaka.

Originally Posted by joepubli

Have the rules changed?
Joe
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
I know for sure there is a transfer desk before immigration at the kolkata airport. I am pretty sure you would not need to clear immigration at all if your bags are tagged to Dhaka.
Thanks CCU_Flyer. I was looking to leave my checked in luggage in Delhi before continuing to Dhaka but it doesn't look as if I will have access to it because the connecting flight is an "international" flight!

I got some stuff for folks in Delhi because last time I had to clear customs in Delhi, but looks like will have to leave it behind as the airline won't tag the bags to Delhi.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI will gladly short check your bags to DEL and you can leave the international side if you want to.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AI will gladly short check your bags to DEL and you can leave the international side if you want to.
exactly....it all depends on how long the op has to transit in del....
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: asia miles
Do oyu know if this transfer desk handle all airlines operating at CCU or only certain ones?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Originally Posted by blandy62
Do oyu know if this transfer desk handle all airlines operating at CCU or only certain ones?
I have seen a transfer desk before immigration but am not sure how helpful they would be.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:20 am

I have seen a transfer desk before immigration but am not sure how helpful they would be.

Yes that's indeed the question. Any idea where I could find more information?

Last edited by blandy62; Jun 16, 2016 at 2:11 am
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The transfer desk will help you get an agent from the handling agent of your carrier. The next carrier will see that pax are connecting and usually send someone to the desk to await you. If it is on one PNR.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The transfer desk will help you get an agent from the handling agent of your carrier. The next carrier will see that pax are connecting and usually send someone to the desk to await you. If it is on one PNR.
All right. How about if travelling on 2 seperate ticket?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by blandy62
All right. How about if travelling on 2 seperate ticket?
On 2 PNRs it can get complicated. Many things involved.
- Your airline may or may not do a thru check in of bags. If not you will have to do customs / immigration.
- The airline may ask you to produce a visa to India (if u need a visa)
- Even if everything goes OK, the transfer desk may be totally clueless
- If your bags are thru checked, there is IRROPS and u miss ur connection, u will struggle to find ur bags.

I won't do this connection on 2 tickets.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
On 2 PNRs it can get complicated. Many things involved.
- Your airline may or may not do a thru check in of bags. If not you will have to do customs / immigration.
- The airline may ask you to produce a visa to India (if u need a visa)
- Even if everything goes OK, the transfer desk may be totally clueless
- If your bags are thru checked, there is IRROPS and u miss ur connection, u will struggle to find ur bags.

I won't do this connection on 2 tickets.
ok in may case, there would not be any checked luggage.

Overal the reason I ask is because I would have a 1 entry visa for India, and I would not want to use it to do that transfer in CCU, as I will come back to India after visiting Bangladesh. So overall the main issue is if the transfer desk would be able to assit with checkin for my Regent air flight to DAC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.