Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Chandigarh-Dubai flights starting March 27 on Indigo FINALLY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select

Strange that Dubai approved Indigo but not flydubai, which has a partnership with Emirates.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/cha...ht/212225.html
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm surprised it took this long....chandigarh would have a lot of passengers who won't have to come to delhi now for international travel....this could open up a number of airlines operating international flights out of chandigarh in the near future....
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm surprised it took this long....chandigarh would have a lot of passengers who won't have to come to delhi now for international travel....this could open up a number of airlines operating international flights out of chandigarh in the near future....
Do you think there is a market though for 300 pax a few times a week? Plus cargo? The reason why SQ pulled out was lack of cargo and premium pax.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Do you think there is a market though for 300 pax a few times a week? Plus cargo? The reason why SQ pulled out was lack of cargo and premium pax.
Delhi airport consortium has been blocking international flights from Chandigarh for years behind the scenes. Passengers from Punjab, Himachel, and Haryana have no reason to fly into Delhi it's a waste of time and money. Estimates are Delhi would lose 1/3 of passenger traffic if Chandigarh was open to international flights like many other airports.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i do....i think chandigarh would have a lot of traffic from punjab & the nearing states that wouldn't need to come to delhi if more international flights opened up from chandigarh....
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
i do....i think chandigarh would have a lot of traffic from punjab & the nearing states that wouldn't need to come to delhi if more international flights opened up from chandigarh....
I hope it does succeed. Every major state's airport has done well other then Punjab.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I hope it does succeed. Every major state's airport has done well other then Punjab.
Amritsar is too far west and their taxes were too high until recently
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slickvik
Amritsar is too far west and their taxes were too high until recently
I hope it does well but I don't see it.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

I hope it does well but I don't see it.
They will do well with passenger loads except premium passengers. I'm not educated about cargo so I can't comment on that.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will do well with passenger loads except premium passengers. I'm not educated about cargo so I can't comment on that.
That's where the long haul cream is. Cargo and Premium. Its the reason why SQ pulled out. Might do well with the LCC's
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Poster

That's where the long haul cream is. Cargo and Premium. Its the reason why SQ pulled out. Might do well with the LCC's
SQ had a flight? It must have been cargo.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ had a flight? It must have been cargo.
SQ flew 3-4 times weekly ATQ-SIN on a 777.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:32 am
Original Poster

SQ flew 3-4 times weekly ATQ-SIN on a 777.
Oh I thought you were talking about IXC. Yes ATQ has lost a lot of flights because of a combination of

1. Insanely high taxes which they've now lowered but it's too little too late
2. Very few business/first class passengers. No surprise as most are people going to visit relatives.
3. Cargo. I'll take your word on this one.

IXC has much more potential than ATQ because people from 3 states would fly there not just western Punjab. But at this point there are still issues with

1. Damaged runway that is too short to begin with, still undergoing repairs. Plus it is shared with air force.
2. Watch hours, meaning flights can only land and depart during the day
3. No scheduled flights. Indigo is smoke and mirrors at this point.
4. No direct road to airport from Chandigarh, causing extra wasted time
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh I thought you were talking about IXC. Yes ATQ has lost a lot of flights because of a combination of

1. Insanely high taxes which they've now lowered but it's too little too late
2. Very few business/first class passengers. No surprise as most are people going to visit relatives.
3. Cargo. I'll take your word on this one.

IXC has much more potential than ATQ because people from 3 states would fly there not just western Punjab. But at this point there are still issues with

1. Damaged runway that is too short to begin with, still undergoing repairs. Plus it is shared with air force.
2. Watch hours, meaning flights can only land and depart during the day
3. No scheduled flights. Indigo is smoke and mirrors at this point.
4. No direct road to airport from Chandigarh, causing extra wasted time
+ Hardly any flights can land in the winter months due to low visibility. Does it have any CAT rating?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

+ Hardly any flights can land in the winter months due to low visibility. Does it have any CAT rating?
Allegedly Amritsar installed CAT III B. Chandigarh has had plans but nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.