Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI Flying Return - Redemption on Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

I have 100K miles about to expire in my Flying Returns account. I am trying to use these for some form international trip and I encountered the following issues which I was hoping someone could confirm for me.

1. It is only possible to book non-AI routes through the call center -- So no way to check different combinations without waiting 5 minutes for a representative to check one by one?

2. Delhi to Berlin costs 42K miles ....but Delhi to Frankfurt is 25K miles ... Both are Europe, Why the difference?

3. I am also a United MP member, Same award tickets have $100 tax with United but $400 tax with AI?

I am not able to understand these discrepancies?
Your inputs would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk !

Go through the Wiki of this thread, pretty informative about the basics of AI-FR.

Answers to your questions can be found in this post.

Feel free to ask follow-up questions.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Hi Deovrat,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! And for your earlier post -- It is extremely informative.

So I noticed that you had originally pointed out the point-to-point issue way back in Feb 2015 -- Looks like its still not been resolved, right?

And you mentioned, that AI charges fuel surcharge on all redemptions, even though the Star Alliance partners that themselves do not charge. I am then struggling to see how to use my expiring points for Intl travel - I only save $100 - $200 compared to buying a ticket

What would you suggest? Are there any sites where I can sell my FR points at a discounted rate?

Thanks!!

PS- I am looking to book a one way between Berlin - New Delhi.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:04 am

AI vs jet redemption

I've about 125k miles on my citibank card which I'm planning to transfer to AI flying returns to redeem a del-mxp return business class ticket which requires 90k FR mikes. Can someone pls tell me the YQ charge I need to pay on this. Or should I transfer these points to jet privilege and use etihad for this sector, what would be the YQ in this case? Also could someone pls let me now if there is a better way to utilise these points on some other carrier wherein in need to pay less YQ. Awaiting reply eagerly. Cheers
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by rsv1
I've about 125k miles on my citibank card which I'm planning to transfer to AI flying returns to redeem a del-mxp return business class ticket which requires 90k FR mikes. Can someone pls tell me the YQ charge I need to pay on this. Or should I transfer these points to jet privilege and use etihad for this sector, what would be the YQ in this case? Also could someone pls let me now if there is a better way to utilise these points on some other carrier wherein in need to pay less YQ. Awaiting reply eagerly. Cheers
Redeeming miles from Jet Privilege almost always requires more miles than FR on business class. To calculate the YQ tax, you can go to itamatrix.com and enter your route there. It will show the fare split up (YQ will always be the same irrespective of the base fare). For DEL-MXP return the YQ amount will be around 28k
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:35 am

Which Citi card do you have? Is it Premiermiles/Prestige or any other one?
I assume you have 125k Points in your account, not miles.

CitiPM converts 1 point = 0.5 mile to lots of different airlines.
Prestige converts 1 point = 4 miles to lots of different airlines.
Other cards convert 1 point = 0.75 mile only to AI and 9W.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by bharathitman
Redeeming miles from Jet Privilege almost always requires more miles than FR on business class. To calculate the YQ tax, you can go to itamatrix.com and enter your route there. It will show the fare split up (YQ will always be the same irrespective of the base fare). For DEL-MXP return the YQ amount will be around 28k
thanks for your reply. I checked itamatrix.com and this is what i found

Fare 1: Carrier YY CIF1RT2 DEL to MIL (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code C
Covers DEL-MXP (Business)
Rs.149,350.00
Fare 2: Carrier YY CIF1RT2 MIL to DEL (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code C
Covers MXP-DEL (Business)
Rs.149,350.00
Indian Service Tax (JN)
Rs.27,482.00
Indian Passenger Service Fee (WO)
Rs.148.00
India Development Fee (YM)
Rs.684.00
AI YQ surcharge (YQ)
Rs.28,160.00
AI YR surcharge (YR)
Rs.300.00
Indian User Development Fee (IN)
Rs.1,289.00
Italy Embarkation Tax (IT)
Rs.1,293.00
Italy Security Charge (VT)
Rs.194.00
Italy Security Bag Charge (EX)
Rs.68.00
Italian Council City Tax (HB)
Rs.480.00
Italy Passenger Service Charge Departure (MJ)
Rs.91.00
Indian User Development Fee (IN)
Rs.1,064.00
Subtotal per passenger
Rs.359,953.00
Number of passengers
x1
Subtotal For 1 adult
Rs.359,953.00

so this means that AI is charging almost 62000/- in taxes , which is insane in my opinion. or am i doing some mistake here?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by deovrat
Which Citi card do you have? Is it Premiermiles/Prestige or any other one?
I assume you have 125k Points in your account, not miles.

CitiPM converts 1 point = 0.5 mile to lots of different airlines.
Prestige converts 1 point = 4 miles to lots of different airlines.
Other cards convert 1 point = 0.75 mile only to AI and 9W.
my bad!!! i meant points not miles. i have points in my premier miles and reward card. i understand that AI and Jet are my only options , considering i have quite a lot of these points on my rewards card which doesn't allow me to transfer to any other airline except these. Is there a way to avoid/reduce these YQ charges?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Also could someone pls let me now if there is a better way to utilise these points on some other carrier wherein in need to pay less YQ.
try delta....they charge very little yq & india-europe is 80k miles for a return business class ticket....
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Saiff
Hi Deovrat,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! And for your earlier post -- It is extremely informative.

So I noticed that you had originally pointed out the point-to-point issue way back in Feb 2015 -- Looks like its still not been resolved, right?

And you mentioned, that AI charges fuel surcharge on all redemptions, even though the Star Alliance partners that themselves do not charge. I am then struggling to see how to use my expiring points for Intl travel - I only save $100 - $200 compared to buying a ticket

What would you suggest? Are there any sites where I can sell my FR points at a discounted rate?

Thanks!!

PS- I am looking to book a one way between Berlin - New Delhi.
Sadly, AI still charges each segment separately as of today.

Air India, as with all airlines, does not allow selling of miles to anyone.
From their rulebook:
" 'Fraud' includes fraud, dishonesty and deceit and in particular:
Selling, bartering and / or purchasing FR Miles or Awards, including attempting to sell Awards by means of Internet-based sales or auctions''

Fuel surcharges hamper value and you are right in that revenue economy tickets are not that much more expensive when you are already paying YQ.

If the miles are really expiring on a short notice and you can't find other immediate uses for them, why not book a business class award ticket instead? It'll require double miles, but better to use them and treat yourself rather than allow them to go to waste, right?
Furthermore, fuel surcharges are same for all classes on that particular flight, whether be it economy or first.
You might squeeze more value out of your miles this way, with paid business ticket anywhere around ~ $1200 more than the money you pay for taxes.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:32 am

so this means that AI is charging almost 62000/- in taxes , which is insane in my opinion. or am i doing some mistake here?
The service tax is charged on the total base fare.
In case of award tickets, the service tax should be around ~1000 INR instead of the figure in your example.

Last edited by deovrat; Oct 2, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.