Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Questions about AI 101/102 service in J (what to expect as a J *G pax)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals

Hello all,

Pretty new to this forum, so apologies if this question has been asked before. Planning a long-haul flight, and due to price (around my desired dates), departure station and my desire to upgrade to the next status in TK M&S program, I was thinking of going with AI in J. So my questions are:

1. In J, how good are the beds (seats) for sleeping; basically, say AI's J hard-product compared to, say, LH or LX or SQ or OZ or TK or OS J hard-product?

2. How is the overall soft-product (catering, service, etc.)?

3. Flightaware shows a regular delay, ranging from 1-1.5 hours, sometimes more. If I book a separate domestic ticket, how long of a layover/buffer should I build into it? Trying to get a dom AI or 9W J flight, so that I can stay in T3, but, if the schedule is too much of a problem, I might have to go with an LCC operating out of T1.

4. The website shows limo service for premium pax. Is Limo service really available, and has anyone tried it? Is there a number to call for this, and how reliable (in that it's actually going to show up)?

5. As a *G, can I expect a little better treatment, like, say, AI blocking a J seat next to me?

6. Out of the Swiss and Maharajah lounge, in T4, which one would you prefer? Have been to the LX one many times, and it's kinda underwhelming. How is the food in the Maharajah lounge?

Thanks much! And any other info, is much appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
1. In J, how good are the beds (seats) for sleeping; basically, say AI's J hard-product compared to, say, LH or LX or SQ or OZ or TK or OS J hard-product?
i like the beds & have always managed to get some sleep....

ai has always been good once in the air....the food & service is generally very good....

3. Flightaware shows a regular delay, ranging from 1-1.5 hours, sometimes more. If I book a separate domestic ticket, how long of a layover/buffer should I build into it? Trying to get a dom AI or 9W J flight, so that I can stay in T3, but, if the schedule is too much of a problem, I might have to go with an LCC operating out of T1.
my suggestion would be to book your next leg on the same pnr....this way if the flight is late then they will put you on the next available flight....

4. The website shows limo service for premium pax. Is Limo service really available, and has anyone tried it? Is there a number to call for this, and how reliable (in that it's actually going to show up)?
see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...o-service.html

5. As a *G, can I expect a little better treatment, like, say, AI blocking a J seat next to me?
no better treatment....

6. Out of the Swiss and Maharajah lounge, in T4, which one would you prefer? Have been to the LX one many times, and it's kinda underwhelming. How is the food in the Maharajah lounge?
the lounge is ok....nothing to write home about....its good to kill a few hours in....
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Keyser. Your helpful inputs are much appreciated!
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:47 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle

Thanks much! And any other info, is much appreciated.
1. I find it tough to beat the newer aircraft for LH and TK that offer full flat seating in the 2 - 2 -2 configuration among these three.

2. I personally have found while the service levels on AI can be wonderful, the food and catering are nothing like LH, LX, SQ or TK. Three of those are Do + CO catering (ok perhaps not Swiss) and SQ generally has excellent food. AI isn't unfortunately anywhere near in the same league. The food is tasty, just not as fancy.

5. We didn't see much difference travelling as Star Gold domestically and internationally on AI. Certainly no blocked seat on our economy segments.

The lounge in New Delhi has been nicely refreshed, although for an international lounge it's clean but not to memorable. There are some disasters out there in the system (Chennai International Marhajah comes to mind).

Best of luck!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
TK and AI:
- have exactly the same seat installed on the 787 and 77W (Zodiac Aura Lite: http://www.zodiacaerospace.com/en/pr...aisle-aircraft)
- TK catering is great out of IST, but FAs responsiveness is the same at both
- TK lounge is nice in IST, airport is far worse than say DEL or BOM
- TK service out of BOM is on 77B aircraft, which are op by 9W
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
1. I find it tough to beat the newer aircraft for LH and TK that offer full flat seating in the 2 - 2 -2 configuration among these three.

2. I personally have found while the service levels on AI can be wonderful, the food and catering are nothing like LH, LX, SQ or TK. Three of those are Do + CO catering (ok perhaps not Swiss) and SQ generally has excellent food. AI isn't unfortunately anywhere near in the same league. The food is tasty, just not as fancy.

5. We didn't see much difference travelling as Star Gold domestically and internationally on AI. Certainly no blocked seat on our economy segments.

The lounge in New Delhi has been nicely refreshed, although for an international lounge it's clean but not to memorable. There are some disasters out there in the system (Chennai International Marhajah comes to mind).

Best of luck!
Thank you worldtraveller73. I actually like the 788 on AI's config in J. An awesome amount of legroom, I must say, and it's in a 2-2-2 config. Not expecting much in terms of catering from AI.

That said, I had two domestic J flights, as a *G. The first one, had about a 50% load in J, but the seat next to me was empty. The second one, was literally THE ONLY ONE, in a 12-seat J-cabin. With regard to those two experiences, I thought that they might (capacity permitting, ofcourse) block seats next to *G's in J.

I agree with you on the lounge. However the food options were decent, both in the international & domestic lounge (talking about at like 2 am in the morning for international!), ofcourse not in the leagues of other international lounges.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
TK and AI:
- have exactly the same seat installed on the 787 and 77W (Zodiac Aura Lite: http://www.zodiacaerospace.com/en/pr...aisle-aircraft)
- TK catering is great out of IST, but FAs responsiveness is the same at both
- TK lounge is nice in IST, airport is far worse than say DEL or BOM
- TK service out of BOM is on 77B aircraft, which are op by 9W
Thanks oliver2002.
1. I agree, as I have tried both. However, TK's 777 has the 2-3-2 config like the one in AI's 777 (not very ideal).
2. Agreed
3. Agreed
4. Do they still wet-lease the 77B's from 9W? I thought that ended sometime ago, with the EY-9W partnership? So does it mean that TK E's and E+'s in J still have access to those coveted F-suites?

Thanks much!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ah sorry the TK IST thing has switched to 77W. No more 9W.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Check-in/doc checks at AI Maharaja Lounge?!

Another question, thought I would bump this thread up, as opposed to creating a new one:

Since I will already be airside, coming off of a domestic DL flight, can I check-in and do doc checks at the AI Maharaja Lounge/Swiss Lounge, as opposed to going to landside again and doing the whole TSA nude-o-scope thingy?! P.S. I will not have any checked-in bags. Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:04 am

Another question, thought I would bump this thread up, as opposed to creating a new one:

Since I will already be airside, coming off of a domestic DL flight, can I check-in and do doc checks at the AI Maharaja Lounge/Swiss Lounge, as opposed to going to landside again and doing the whole TSA nude-o-scope thingy?! P.S. I will not have any checked-in bags. Thanks!
Very doubtful at the lounge (requires a paper invite to get in). You can try at the gate.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Very doubtful at the lounge (requires a paper invite to get in). You can try at the gate.
Thanks for the answer, erik123. As of now, it is looking more and more like I have to go out, and do the whole check-in SHABAANG all-over. Aaahhh...the 90's!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.