Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Booking directly with Airlines vs Booking with OTA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking directly with Airlines vs Booking with OTA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Gold
Lightbulb Booking directly with Airlines vs Booking with OTA

Hello Everyone,

So I have been researching on which credit card for maximizing my miles accumulation and obviously one of the best miles accumulation strategy is to book an airline ticket on a airline's website using a co branded card. However, while checking for fares I found that there is a huge difference between the fares in the airline's website and the fare's mentioned by various OTAs for the same flights and same dates. The difference sometimes is as much as 6-7K INR per person. The difference I found both in Jet and AI. So my question is how does some one justify paying 6-7K INR per person (about 24-28K for 4 people) more just for some extra miles accumulation? Am I looking it incorrectly or is that how it is?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: JetPrivilege Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, OW Enrich Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Taj Innercircle Gold
I would be surprised if this is the norm. There might be a few cases here n there where OTA has bought inventory but otherwise it would be similar or website might be a few hundred bucks cheaper.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gvipin
I would be surprised if this is the norm. There might be a few cases here n there where OTA has bought inventory but otherwise it would be similar or website might be a few hundred bucks cheaper.
Second this.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:46 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
what may hold true for 1 ticket may not hold true for 4. if the airline has 1 ticket available or 2 in a lower farebucket v/s 4 in a higher one, you will almost always get ticketed in the higher one with the airline. so, my question to you is:

is your statement for 4 pax basis the exact same routing on both, the airline as well as the OTA?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
its very rare that i will find an ota ticket that is significantly cheaper than the airline's own website....but even in those instances i prefer to book directly with the airline....in case something goes wrong then its much easier to deal directly with the airline than it is with an ota....
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

So I checked this again with some random routes and dates. Here´s what I found -

1st BLR to DEL (4pax) - 6th Aug Outbound and 10th Aug Inbound :
Flight no - AI505 and AI502
Makemytrip - INR 42400
AI Website - INR 51284
Flight no - 9W-818 and 9W-834
Makemytrip - INR 27608
Jet Website - INR 40288

2nd - BLR to LHR (4pax) - 17th Aug Outbound and 25th Aug Inbound :
Flight No - AI804/AI111 and AI112/AI502
Makemytrip - INR 281,228
AI Website - INR 286,500

Flight No - 9W412/9W118 and 9W121/9W815
Makemytrip - INR 280,940
Jet Website - INR 283,980

3rd - BLR to CDG (4pax) - 5th Sep Outbound and 17th Sep Inbound :
Flight No - AI804/AI111 and AI112/AI502
Makemytrip - INR 205,696
AI Website - INR 209,196

Flight No - 9W478/9W124 and 9W123/9W2056
Makemytrip - INR 203,520
Jet Website - INR 213,408

So, this proves that airline websites are always expensive for some reason even with 4pax loading.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A2A
what may hold true for 1 ticket may not hold true for 4. if the airline has 1 ticket available or 2 in a lower farebucket v/s 4 in a higher one, you will almost always get ticketed in the higher one with the airline. so, my question to you is:

is your statement for 4 pax basis the exact same routing on both, the airline as well as the OTA?
Hi A2A,

The statement is based on 4pax loading for the exact same route, date and flights.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:24 am
A2A

have you tried to proceed to the ticketing page with MMT. very often, with some OTA's they bait and then later tell you price went up. let us know how it worked for you
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A2A
have you tried to proceed to the ticketing page with MMT. very often, with some OTA's they bait and then later tell you price went up. let us know how it worked for you
The price differences are based on the final payment page in MMT. If you check my other post above, it is also based on the final price (at the payment page) of MMT. Normally MMT shows 1person fare and than multiplies it with no. of pax in the final page. So I doubt there will be any change in the prices than what is being shown in the payment page.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Originally Posted by rajdeep181
The price differences are based on the final payment page in MMT. If you check my other post above, it is also based on the final price (at the payment page) of MMT. Normally MMT shows 1person fare and than multiplies it with no. of pax in the final page. So I doubt there will be any change in the prices than what is being shown in the payment page.
Is it only with MMT? I am also seeing the huge difference in a couple of flights that I plan to take at the airline website and MMT. Will check with other OTA and post later, maybe you can check also?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:15 pm
A2A

Originally Posted by rajdeep181
I think that is where the gap is. this is the bait i was talking about, or perhaps flawed programming. When the OTA will contact Jet or AI to ticket, they will send them the inventory availability and then this pricing should change.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:24 am

I agree with OP on this. In my opinion OTAs tend to be cheaper or same than the official booking engines, especially in case of full service carriers. AI is notorious on this.

Once I was in a similar situation where I was consistently finding cheaper fares in OTA sites then AI's own site. I called up their call center and got to speak with a knowledgeble CSE. He bluntly told me that AI often releases cheaper fare buckets to OTAs and do not sell them in its own website. Afterall they have to keep their TA eco-system in good business... something of that was the rationale behind the argument.

Always double check with OTAs. Atleast for me, there is no point spending in thousands for a mere handful credit card points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.