Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

AI31 - DEL-AMD - International Connectors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Hey folks - hoping that the informed gurus on here know about these flights as AI's call centre seemed to be quite clueless.

Looking to book a couple of family members SIN-DEL-AMD with the DEL-AMD segment the same evening as they land from SIN (AI381).

Thing is, they want to clear Customs & Immigration at Delhi & go out for a bit for some work. The fail-safe way would be to have a proper domestic flight for the DEL-AMD segment. I think that the earlier AI10 is an international connector, but not sure about AI31.

Also, in case AI31 is an 'international' flight, would AI be willing to check bags only to DEL (thus forcing Customs/Immigration there), & then they could check in separately as domestic passengers for their onward segment?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
As far as I understand one needs to clear customs and immigration at first point of entry in India. That is if one disembarks in Delhi one would need to clear immigration and pick up bags before heading to the domestic side to drop bags again. One can take the bags and leave the airport come back again and check in for domestic flight. Even if boarding passes for AMD section are in hand your folks can leave the airport and come back again.

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Hey folks - hoping that the informed gurus on here know about these flights as AI's call centre seemed to be quite clueless.

Looking to book a couple of family members SIN-DEL-AMD with the DEL-AMD segment the same evening as they land from SIN (AI381).

Thing is, they want to clear Customs & Immigration at Delhi & go out for a bit for some work. The fail-safe way would be to have a proper domestic flight for the DEL-AMD segment. I think that the earlier AI10 is an international connector, but not sure about AI31.

Also, in case AI31 is an 'international' flight, would AI be willing to check bags only to DEL (thus forcing Customs/Immigration there), & then they could check in separately as domestic passengers for their onward segment?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
If there is a plane change, they will have to do immigration in DEL (+ collect / check in the bags again).
If there is no plane change, they won't be able to get out in DEL and will have to do custom etc in AMD.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Hey guys- thanks.

Just to clarify, one does NOT need to clear customs and immigration at the first airport if you're on one of AI's international connectors for the domestic leg, and are checked through. Have cleared at AMD on a SIN-BOM-AMD itin (flight no and plane change at BOM), and in laws have done it too, on ORD-DEL-AMD.

On the issue here - was worried about being through checked (if the AMD flight was 'international') & then running into trouble while departing DEL (bags airside, pax landside).

The not too useful call centre told me that checking only to DEL should be do-able, subject to the duty manager's discretion.

Dropped the SIN duty manager an email (id conveniently available on AI's website). Positively surprised to get a call back from the gentleman ~4hrs later, late in the evening. 'No issues..even if it's an international connector..just tell the check in staff clearly, to check till DEL only..and then check in as a domestic pax at DEL..will send you an email as well - just in case that's needed'.

For all the flak that AI gets, this was far more responsive than the couple of times I've had an issue with 9W.

I still don't know if AI31 is an 'international connector (AI10 definitely is), but not a problem anymore.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
On the issue here - was worried about being through checked (if the AMD flight was 'international') & then running into trouble while departing DEL (bags airside, pax landside).
i have done this once in the past....was booked on jfk-del-bbi on a single pnr but i wanted my bags to only be checked till del....had no problems doing this in jfk....
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
I still don't know if AI31 is an 'international connector (AI10 definitely is), but not a problem anymore.
All Air India flights in the range AI10 - AI399 and AI900 - AI999 operate to / from International terminals.

In case the domestic segment of your choice is not listed on AI website, when you book for SIN-AMD, try the Multi-city option searching for SIN-DEL-AMD. The fare may marginally change, but will get you the flight of your prefrence on DEL-AMD segment.

Check out the Wiki at the AI-FR thread for any more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...ngreturns.html
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:24 am
Original Poster

GuyFromBom- Thanks- yep, multi city is how I booked...same taxes..& yes, AI31 is an 'international' too.

My in-laws tell me that AI10/31 are frequently combined.

Keyser- does AI run international connectors to BBI too?

Given the ease of 'international' transfers, AI could make a decent buck by marketing these international connectors well - esp to interline partners..the timings might not be ideal in one direction, but still..

A few months back, my wife was booked on SIN-BOM-AMD. A significant delay on the SIN-BOM meant that she would have missed her connection- AI rebooked the first leg onto SQ, but they could not check bags through - she had to take the AMD flight as a domestic passenger.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
No international connectors at BBI.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:09 pm

I am trying to book a United MileagePlus award from EWR to BOM. The strange thing I see is that both United and ANA websites show that there is no J availability for EWR-BOM on Flight AI144. But if I search for EWR-AMD, which has EWR-BOM and BOM-AMD as its segments since it is an international connector flight; J awards show up even though it is still the same Flight AI144 for the EWR-BOM segment.

Anyone faced issue like this? Does calling in help or do the agents see similar availability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.