Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DEL International Transit question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:19 am
Original Poster

DEL International Transit question

I am flying on paid AI/C ticket and am also *G; I am arriving in DEL from Europe around 10AM and have a same day international connection (on AI) around 11 PM. A few questions...

I called AI and they refuse to provide a hotel; is this standard procedure? Is there any point in trying for a hotel after landing in DEL or does it have to be pre-booked with AI?

Assuming I cannot score a hotel, is there any way that I can come into the transit lounge after landing, have a shower and then exit the airport? In other words, can one get to the immigration area from the departure lounge, assuming one has an onward boarding pass?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by golmaale
I am flying on paid AI/C ticket and am also *G; I am arriving in DEL from Europe around 10AM and have a same day international connection (on AI) around 11 PM. A few questions...

I called AI and they refuse to provide a hotel; is this standard procedure? Is there any point in trying for a hotel after landing in DEL or does it have to be pre-booked with AI?

Assuming I cannot score a hotel, is there any way that I can come into the transit lounge after landing, have a shower and then exit the airport? In other words, can one get to the immigration area from the departure lounge, assuming one has an onward boarding pass?
AI won't offer Hotel stay for *A Gold.. They offer transit hotel stay for J & F class ON THE SAME PNR..!

You can through check-in at origin and then proceed to either: EATON HOTEL located at the airport (no need to exit the terminal) or the AI Lounge.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
AI won't offer Hotel stay for *A Gold.. They offer transit hotel stay for J & F class ON THE SAME PNR..
OP here...where did I state that I have two separate PNRs for my AI flights? In fact, they are all on the same ticket with a through fare basis.

Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
...You can through check-in at origin and then proceed to either: EATON HOTEL located at the airport (no need to exit the terminal) or the AI Lounge.
And that was not my question ... I wrote that I wanted to have a shower at the AI lounge after arrival and then exit the airport (to return in time for my onward flight). So I just wanted to know whether that is possible (exiting, after being in the departure area)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

business class passengers are normally provided with a hotel during a long layover but usually when a night stay is involved....

the hotel will have to be pre-booked so you will not be able to get anything after you land....

you should be able to exit the airport but not after you enter the departure area....there is an arrival lounge you can use but you will have to go through immigration to access it....
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
...there is an arrival lounge you can use but you will have to go through immigration to access it....
Very interesting, since this would certainly suit my purpose - where exactly is the arrivals lounge located in DEL?

business class passengers are normally provided with a hotel during a long layover but usually when a night stay is involved....
I have a 13-hour layover, but not an overnight one. However, I was still hoping for a day room, since this is provided by many other carriers for a long wait between flights (e.g. my 8-hour wait in IST between two TK flights). Since the ticket was bought online, I do not have a TA batting for me; I rang the AI call centre a couple of times, but they seemed to brush off any hint of a hotel layover. Any suggestions about who else I might call?

Last edited by shonamac; Jan 2, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Very interesting, since this would certainly suit my purpose - where exactly is the arrivals lounge located in DEL?
its right next to the exit doors after baggage claim....don't go out of the airport or you won't be allowed back in....

I have a 13-hour layover, but not an overnight one. However, I was still hoping for a day room, since this is provided by many other carriers for a long wait between flights (e.g. my 8-hour wait in IST between two TK flights). Since the ticket was bought online, I do not have a TA batting for me; I rang the AI call centre a couple of times, but they seemed to brush off any hint of a hotel layover. Any suggestions about who else I might call?
try writing to them....
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Hi I have a side question on a related topic. I am also transiting at Delhi T3 although during the night. Have priority pass, am *Gold and access to Air India lounge should be there as well as Visa card which should get me into plaza premium in the Delhi t3 international terminal. Which would be better for a night sleep and a shower before a midhaul flight? Would require the lounge for 6-7 hours if they strictly follow the time limit.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

..there is an arrival lounge you can use but you will have to go through immigration to access it....
Sorry for raking up this thread again, but do you know whether this lounge (in the international arrivals area) is operated by AI or by a third party? Does it definitely have showers?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for raking up this thread again, but do you know whether this lounge (in the international arrivals area) is operated by AI or by a third party? Does it definitely have showers?
its in the arrivals area & is operated by plaza premium....it definitely has showers....
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I am arriving in DEL on a EY flight from AUH connecting to AI flight to HKG on two separate tickets. The connection time between the two flights is 2 hours 20 minutes.

Is that time is suffecient for connecting between these two flights if EY flight arrives in DEL on time? Will I have any immigration problems since I am connecting on two separate tickets and I don't have a visa for India?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am arriving in DEL on a EY flight from AUH connecting to AI flight to HKG on two separate tickets. The connection time between the two flights is 2 hours 20 minutes.

Is that time is suffecient for connecting between these two flights if EY flight arrives in DEL on time? Will I have any immigration problems since I am connecting on two separate tickets and I don't have a visa for India?
Do you have check-in luggage ? If yes - you definitely need a Visa as i dont think EY & AI would interline.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Do you have check-in luggage ? If yes - you definitely need a Visa as i dont think EY & AI would interline.
No checked-in luggage. Just a carry on.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
No checked-in luggage. Just a carry on.
On arrival, follow the transit sign and you should be fine.

As a suggestion, call up EY and confirm if they will let you board your DEL flight, despite the fact that you don't have a visa for India. It shouldn't really be a problem, but better to have a confirmation in advance, rather than a surprise at the last minute.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:24 am

You don't need a visa. Follow the signs (very clearly posted) and they will print out a boarding pass and tag/screen your bag before letting you into the departure area. The only issue is if there is a big delay and you don't have a visa - but if on one ticket you should be able to get protected n the next flight. There's also an airport hotel and sleeping pods in the transit area (though it may be difficult to access those if you are held in the transit area - which you will be if your flight is not within 3 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.