Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Spicejet (paid) seat reservation not honoured

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:36 am
Original Poster

I flew Spicejet a few weeks ago from Dubai to Mumbai.

At time of booking, I had paid AED 36 extra to reserve an exit row seat. However, when I checked in at the airport I was advised that my paid for seat reservation had been given away to another passenger ("Sir, that passenger is traveling in a group so they must be seated together"). I was re-seated in another (non-exit row) seat instead.

On arrival, I emailed Spicejet customer relations to request a refund of the AED 36 fee paid. Auto response received. Reminder sent the following week. Auto response received. Yet another reminder sent. Auto response received.

Any idea what recourse I might have here short of initiating a credit card dispute for the seat reservation fee paid?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: KFEG, UK Silver
I would recommend filing a charge back with the bank immediately. SpiceJet is going through a financial stress and have cancelled many flights. Their customer service team is currently swamped with angry passenger emails/call asking for a refund. Don't expect a reply in the next many weeks.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:42 am
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
if you are on twitter, tweet to their COO might help
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I flew Spicejet a few weeks ago from Dubai to Mumbai.

At time of booking, I had paid AED 36 extra to reserve an exit row seat. However, when I checked in at the airport I was advised that my paid for seat reservation had been given away to another passenger ("Sir, that passenger is traveling in a group so they must be seated together"). I was re-seated in another (non-exit row) seat instead.

On arrival, I emailed Spicejet customer relations to request a refund of the AED 36 fee paid. Auto response received. Reminder sent the following week. Auto response received. Yet another reminder sent. Auto response received.

Any idea what recourse I might have here short of initiating a credit card dispute for the seat reservation fee paid?
you should have asked for a refund at the airport or in the alternative you should have stuck to your stance of sitting in the seat you paid for....spice jet customer service is not the best when it comes to refunds & they make you wait a while....
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
And to think.. this airline was having huge fare sales the last few quarters at throwaway prices..
Seems many many folks travel plans / budget will get impacted..
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:35 am
Original Poster

I guess no choice but to initiate a chargeback with the bank. Sad that it came to this.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
I guess no choice but to initiate a chargeback with the bank. Sad that it came to this.
Not sure why will a bank honour it. Usually the bank asks you to contact merchant (spicejet in this case)
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tirajat
Not sure why will a bank honour it. Usually the bank asks you to contact merchant (spicejet in this case)
I have a paper trail of multiple requests made to Spicejet without response. It will be an open and shut case with the bank. In fact, the bank has already granted me the credit within 48 hours after reviewing my initial paperwork.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: KFEG, UK Silver
Originally Posted by tirajat
Most banks will immediately give a temporary credit, whether you have a case or not. All you have to do is dispute the charge. After 60-90 days of investigation, if you do have a case, most likely the temporary credit will be made permanent. In most cases, the merchant will initiate a refund long before the bank completes its investigation in which case you can enjoy double credit for 2-3 months. I have used this few times to get a refund from Jet Airways where they charged me a cancellation fee although I cancelled the ticket because of airline schedule change. Also some ecomm sites just take too much time to give you refund back on a cancelled order. You can simply initiate a chargeback and let the merchant deal with the bank.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
All this angst about $10? How much is your time worth, OP?

I doubt the bank or airline will bother spending any time investigating at all.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:46 am
Original Poster

The whole thing is getting rather silly now. Spicejet is trying to defend their right to not honour the paid seat assignment on the basis that the seat eventually provided was "equally good".

Greetings from SpiceJet.

This is with the reference to the trailing mail.

At the outset, we regret the delay in response.

Please note that we have checked and would like to inform you that as per our records passenger was provided with an equally good seat.

However, passenger was reseated as we had to accommodate a family of 04 passengers.

In the light of the above, we regret as we would not be in a position to process your request of refund of seat amount.

Should you require further assistance/clarification please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks & Regards,
Senior Executive-Customer Experience,
Dear XXX,

With all due respect, it is for the passenger to judge what constitutes an "equally good" substitute product and not the service provider. If I had wanted to sit in the other seat, then that seat would have been reserved at the time of booking rather than the seat that I actually reserved and paid for.

Spicejet made the choice to provide the seat that I had reserved and paid for to another customer. May I kindly point you to your own Terms and Conditions which state on line 50 : "In case of exigencies, SpiceJet reserves the right to change an assigned seat without any prior notice. In such a case, the seat fee will be refunded." I am simply asking for you to follow your own Terms and Conditions as published at http://www.spicejet.com/Tnc.aspx

Sincerely,
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:51 am
A2A

what was your original seat no. and what was your reseated seat no.?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A2A
what was your original seat no. and what was your reseated seat no.?
15C (exit row) and 1C (bulkhead).

Legroom in bulkhead is significantly less than the exit row.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:25 pm
A2A

15C (exit row) and 1C (bulkhead).

Legroom in bulkhead is significantly less than the exit row.
not that i am competing your claim, but here is what would have happened. Both the rows you mention count under the same SpiceMax category hence the guys thought it was okay to switch you. why don't you escalate this and get an answer from the COO?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
My experience was that a chargeback request did not help but later a legal notice to the OTA responsible (expedia), copied to the airline (which was, for some reason, listed as the merchant in my card statement) did the trick.

An amount rather larger than 35 dirhams

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...-question.html

Originally Posted by manish83
Most banks will immediately give a temporary credit, whether you have a case or not. All you have to do is dispute the charge. After 60-90 days of investigation, if you do have a case, most likely the temporary credit will be made permanent. In most cases, the merchant will initiate a refund long before the bank completes its investigation in which case you can enjoy double credit for 2-3 months. I have used this few times to get a refund from Jet Airways where they charged me a cancellation fee although I cancelled the ticket because of airline schedule change. Also some ecomm sites just take too much time to give you refund back on a cancelled order. You can simply initiate a chargeback and let the merchant deal with the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.