Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India - International Biz Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum

I am seeing a great price for business class LON - SYD through DEL (under $3k in peak season) and I would be really interested please to hear feedback on it.

It seems to be the 77w and 788 (dreamliner?) on this itinerary. Its great value but is it worth it?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: Blasé..
Smile

Business on 77W/787 serves the basic purpose and is not very lurid. Seats are comfortable in both sitting/sleeping positions, food is good (better if you like Indian Taste) and service is good not flashy. Even the connection in Delhi should be smooth, you may want to request AI for a transit hotel while returning due to long layover (have heard AI do this for couple of other FTers & my friends).

Overall, J under or around $3K is a good catch as it wd normally cost anywhere around $5K.

And you would also add your *A points if at all you use!!

Cheers - do let us know your experience if in case you proceed wd your bookings!!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:08 am

Check out the FRA route as well. A return to FRA from LHR is around £100 with LH. Times are good, and you could save quite a bit on the flight to SYD...

And this route uses the Dreamliner for both legs.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
ai long haul is pretty decent in business....try a search as there are already tons of threads on this topic....
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Having made a recent trip on AI J on the BOM-BKK-BOM route, operated by the B787, i can vouch for the Hard-product, Food & Beverages and also the staff.

The most prominent fact about AI crew, which I like is, their service and smile is genuine.. unlike the robotic drill and a plastic smile prevalent all across.

The AI Lounge at DEL is awesome and with AI now a part of *A, this should be a bonanza.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bioflyer
Business on 77W/787 serves the basic purpose and is not very lurid.
Good to know. I try to avoid lurid airlines.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Even the connection in Delhi should be smooth, you may want to request AI for a transit hotel while returning due to long layover (have heard AI do this for couple of other FTers & my friends).
AI J bookings include a free stay at the Eaton hotel airside if the connection is above 4 hours. AI has filed quite a few very decent J fares from Europe to BKK, SIN, SYD/MEL to fill their 787 service. ^
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:16 am
Original Poster

All useful. Appreciated. If I book I will report back!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
Wanted to add some additional information about the 787 to help seat selection in J.

Row 1 has several limitations. First, there is no storage allowed under the seat. This is even worse because there are no overhead bins in the center at row 1. Second, all other rows have a monitor mounted on the back of the seat. In row 1, the monitor is deployed from the center console, which must be stowed during takeoff and landing.

Not that a seat selection seems to matter. We were two passengers on a single PNR with pre-selected seats 3A/3B (weeks in advance), and discovered at check-in that one of us had been moved to row 1.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by russmeyergirl
All useful. Appreciated. If I book I will report back!
So I did book. I was in the middle section of row 2. I have no complaints about the flight itself. The food was good, the service was polite and attentive. The seats are comfortable. The monitors are a little far away and the selection of movies very limited but it was fine for me.

However - the flight was cancelled and I was rerouted the next day through a different departure airport. So I arrived home a day late (it would have been two days if I hadn't changed airports!) I am still trying to get the compensation for the transport and hotel which was in early January so that would stop me booking with them again.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
The monitors are a little far away
Hmm, so that may be a plus for the first row after all!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:54 am

So I did book. I was in the middle section of row 2. I have no complaints about the flight itself. The food was good, the service was polite and attentive. The seats are comfortable. The monitors are a little far away and the selection of movies very limited but it was fine for me.

However - the flight was cancelled and I was rerouted the next day through a different departure airport. So I arrived home a day late (it would have been two days if I hadn't changed airports!) I am still trying to get the compensation for the transport and hotel which was in early January so that would stop me booking with them again.
Congrats. You just experienced the patented Air India service. Air India is an insult to India and Indians. It's not an airline....its a shith@le.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by Buttwiser
Congrats. You just experienced the patented Air India service. Air India is an insult to India and Indians. It's not an airline....its a shith@le.
Don't know what makes you say that - In my opinion, they are far better than many pathetic US carriers.

I agree when they go bad - there's nothing like them however I would say other way around too - when AI is good...there's hardly any flaw and lately i would say they are at least seriously attempting for the later one. Had some near perfect flights (>10) long-short haul with them in last 3 months across Y/J and they were great.

Whilst you can and should not definitely expect the likes of SQ/CX/LH from AI but I would say they were much better than EY/DL/EK and domestically than 9W.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:23 pm

Don't know what makes you say that - In my opinion, they are far better than many pathetic US carriers..
US carriers may have poor service standards, but they are generally punctual (a concept alien to AI) and their pilots are usually pretty good - whereas with AI it is a random call, with some of the younger pilots being quite avoidable.

... when AI is good...there's hardly any flaw ..
You have either not flown enough on other international carriers to know the difference

...Whilst you can and should not definitely expect the likes of SQ/CX/LH from AI ...
And why should I not expect the same standards as the carriers you have mentioned - after all, AI fares are generally on par with them

Last edited by AJLondon; Mar 11, 2015 at 8:07 am Reason: Mod action - edited personal comments
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:49 pm

IRROPS or tech situations happens no airline can avoid it. AI is generally good at paying out compensations but can be a bit slow. Just curious which airline if not AI's own metal did they reroute you on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.