Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Jet Airways outlines turnaround plan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

The plan is to turn black in 2017:

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...?homepage=true

Anyone think this will work?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Its being too optimistic but given they are the only (sort of) reliable full-service carrier in India, it should be possible.

And now under watchful eye of Etihad, they should just make sure to utilize the partnership to the maximum extent possible.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:17 am

Earlier this year I was thinking Etihad could join one of the major groups but as already QA joins OW, dunno if they could jump to Skyteam or Star Alliance; I think maybe Etihad is building his own little army with all these acquisitions, perhaps they are going to create their own group with all the airlines

I have use Jet Airways for almost one year only for my domestics flights in India, and I don't really understand how their business is bad... the route I flight is a 1 hour flight from Mumbai to Vadodara and viceversa, and I could say that these flights are always more than 80% capacity, sometimes its just fully booked.

If Etihad is able to manage them correctly I believe this is possible.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by techblr
Its being too optimistic but given they are the only (sort of) reliable full-service carrier in India, it should be possible.
ai is far more reliable than jet these days & there is soon to be another full service carrier in india once the tata-singapore airline starts later this year....
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by LoungeBum
Earlier this year I was thinking Etihad could join one of the major groups but as already QA joins OW, dunno if they could jump to Skyteam or Star Alliance; I think maybe Etihad is building his own little army with all these acquisitions, perhaps they are going to create their own group with all the airlines
I don't think EY or 9W are interested in alliances.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:36 pm

From the above article:

"If we complete our talks with Alitalia, we will be the fifth largest airline group in the world”

Etihad is taking a very different route and investing heavily in cash-strapped airliners around the world. We should wait and watch as to how this can be a win-win model for everyone.

As far as Jet airways is concerned - they would have to price aggressively to compete with low cost carriers in India as well as on their US/Canada routes compete against numerous foreign players. May be they are forgoing some revenue to attract traffic and losing money.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Ahhh....turnaround plans.....always a pre-cursor to years of losses and the beginning of the end.

A new brand: jETIHAD......with a tag line of: Challo Arabistan!!!!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:58 pm
Suspended

I would not hold my breath on the 9W 'turnaround'...
  1. Greater domestic competition from 6E/I5 and newly minted *A AI
  2. No tangible advantage to fly 9W - neither *A miles nor low fares
  3. Same old unmotivated crew, now overworked by EY
  4. Castrated service on 'Lite' flights
PS. I had bought a F-class ticket on EY to fly AUH-JFK; when I discovered that my flight was to be operated by a 9W aircraft with 9W crew, I canceled my ticket and decided to re-route. How many others would do the same?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by KopiKosong
PS. I had bought a F-class ticket on EY to fly AUH-JFK; when I discovered that my flight was to be operated by a 9W aircraft with 9W crew, I canceled my ticket and decided to re-route. How many others would do the same?
Well during 2010 and 2011 I used to quite enjoy the F on 77W on BOM-LHR.. but havent flown them since..

have they begun cross fleeting?? Isnt that only allowed when merger's take place? or is this the 77W that is wet leased to EY?

EY also bought 4 or 5 AI 777-LR's ... so I would expect those to be starting service soon.. mostly IAH, LAX routes i think..
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by KopiKosong
Are you sure it will be 9W crew? EY is starting new service from AUH-SFO with 9W aircraft but operated entirely by EY. I think EY is using the stake in 9W to fill the stop-gap in shortage of long range planes while they wait for new deliveries.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by techblr
Are you sure it will be 9W crew? EY is starting new service from AUH-SFO with 9W aircraft but operated entirely by EY. I think EY is using the stake in 9W to fill the stop-gap in shortage of long range planes while they wait for new deliveries.
Check the Etihad forum. Folks are reporting at best a mixed 9W EY crew and the 9W suites seem to be showing their age. seems like a risky roll of the dice - you just don't know what you're going to get.

There's hope for new seats but who knows when they'll be in service

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/dh...r-wine-bi.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.