Search

AI-BA Dom-Int Baggage Interlining

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 12:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
AI-BA Dom-Int Baggage Interlining

Hello all - did a search and nothing quite matched...

I'm flying HYD-DEL-LHR in a few days, with the domestic leg on AI and the international on BA.

When I've done this in the past with AI, they've refused to interline the luggage. When I've done it with 9W (well, S2), they've had no problem in doing so.

I can't find any reference to AI's interline agreements, but I'd expect two big airlines like BA and AI to have one (certainly, it seems to exist in the opposite direction).

What do you think? Should I be insisting more strongly in HYD, or just let it go? It's not the end of the world, but quite annoying.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:03 am

^^

AI refuses to interline at all. I tried that with AI and GF and they simply said no.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by stut
Hello all - did a search and nothing quite matched...

I'm flying HYD-DEL-LHR in a few days, with the domestic leg on AI and the international on BA.

When I've done this in the past with AI, they've refused to interline the luggage. When I've done it with 9W (well, S2), they've had no problem in doing so.

I can't find any reference to AI's interline agreements, but I'd expect two big airlines like BA and AI to have one (certainly, it seems to exist in the opposite direction).

What do you think? Should I be insisting more strongly in HYD, or just let it go? It's not the end of the world, but quite annoying.
1. If your flights are booked on the same PNR and / or the same eTicket #, then AI *should* honour the higher baggage allowance and also be able to issue you your boarding pass and check your baggage all the way to LHR.

2. If AI doesn't, it shouldn't be a big issue as DEL is a fairly convenient airport with both- AI & BA operating from T3.

3. Cross check if your AI flight from HYD is an International connector or just a Domestic flight. If the former, and AI allows through check-in, then you can clear passport-control @ HYD itself.
Old May 14, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
in my experience ai won't do it but there is no harm in trying....
Old May 14, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
they'll do it if it's booked on the same ticket. If they are separate tickets... well you can try, but be prepared for a "sorry sir, we cannot do that."
Old May 15, 2014, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

It is indeed the same ticket (as it has been in thr past when I was refused), and it seems like mixed experience here. I know T3 isn't a difficult terminal to handle if I do need to recheck, but I was planning on heading into Delhi during the layover (as I generally do on this routing) and it's a lot less hassle if the bags are checked through rather than waiting for them, putting them in left luggage at the metro station, getting them back, checking in, etc etc.

Flight is today, so I will report back!
Old May 17, 2014, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Well, the answer was simple: no interlining to BA - sorry.

In the end, it wasn't terrible - the luggage was out quickly, and the luggage check in the metro station was pretty quiet and painless, too. Had a decent layover in the city - the eerily underused Metro Airport Express line makes it so easy.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:23 am

Well, the answer was simple: no interlining to BA - sorry.

In the end, it wasn't terrible - the luggage was out quickly, and the luggage check in the metro station was pretty quiet and painless, too. Had a decent layover in the city - the eerily underused Metro Airport Express line makes it so easy.
Did AI honor BA's baggage allowance ? Assuming, you brought much more than the normal domestic (Indian) baggage allowance for checkin luggage - did you have to pay extra to AI ?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dspatwardhan
Did AI honor BA's baggage allowance ? Assuming, you brought much more than the normal domestic (Indian) baggage allowance for checkin luggage - did you have to pay extra to AI ?
Afraid I don't know - I travel light
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dspatwardhan
In my experience AI will honor BA allowance only if that flight is on the same PNR and paid together as a single fare. If they are booked separately, then AI allows 25 kg for flying returns members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.