Reload this Page >

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2016, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

PLEASE NOTE that CERTAIN DOMESTIC FLIGHTS OF Air India (#010-399 and 900-999) are ACTUALLY segments of INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT and hence for the following discussion should be considered INTL flights.

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal (T1) and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.
(For those not familiar with Santacruz Airport - CSIA - while both T1 and T2 uses same airfield and runaways, they are quite apart landside and can be 25-45 min by taxi depending on the traffic)

If first time in BOM then it is advisable to book connection with AI or Vistara to avoid this transfer between terminals.

INTL-to-INTL connections (suspended as of Jan 2022 due to COVID):

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain domestic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight (#010-399 and 900-999). When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tariffs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If you are travelling by Air India and your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight (currently applicable to certain AI flights only) then you would have already completed immigration process at your origin and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through immigration at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.

Please add/correct as appropriate. (Need postcount of 90 to be able to edit)
(Note that information change dynamically and hence best to double check)
Thanks
desi

TRANSFER at BOM

Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara operate all of their international and domestic flights out of the same NEW terminal (T2). There is no need to change terminal or take any bus/taxi.

Low-cost airlines operate out of legacy Santacruz domestic terminal and you need to continue to follow the usual practice of changing terminal.

INTL-to-INTL connections:

NOTE: Air-India operates some domestic flight segments as extension of an oversees flight (Typically flight numbers <400 - Double check routing on AI website to confirm example: AI 144 EWR_BOM_DEL). They should be treated as INTL flights for immigration/rechek/customs purpose.

If both legs are on the same airline or on airlines that have interlined agreement, then your bags will be tagged to your final destination. But verify this fact when you actually check your bags at your origination and reconfirm by inspecting the bag tags.

Otherwise you have to go through immigration, collect bags and check-in again. This may need appropriate Visa too. If you have to do this, provide for 3 to 4 hours layover to be safe.

INTL-to-DOM transfer

Practice is similar to what you may find at major airports in the world such as JFK, LHR, etc. You have to go through immigration, collect bags, go through customs and then TURN LEFT upon exit from customs towards transfer area. DO NOT GO STRAIGHT into Semi-controlled reception area.

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Also in case of delayed incoming flight, you will be most likely accomodated on the domestic portion.

Note that certain dometic looking segments of AI are actually onward leg of continuing International flight such as EWR-BOM-AMD flight. When connecting to/from these flights, treat them as INTL segments.

DOM-to-INTL transfer

It is best to have entire reservation on single PNR to avail of better baggage allowance. Otherwise expect to pay high tarrifs of excess baggage. Your bags will be most likely tagged to your final destination when it is same airline or when airlines have interline agreement. Again, best to double check and reconfirm by looking at the bag tags. Otherwise, you have to collect bags at BOM and check-in again. Please check with your airline for the current process. Posts on this thread that are more than couple of months old, should be in "Trust but Verify" category.

If your incoming flight to BOM has been classified as international flight then you would have already completed emmigration (exit from India) process at your origination and you will simply follow INTL-to-INTL connection at BOM.

Otherwise, you will go through emmigration process at BOM airport even when your bags are checked to your final destination directly.
Print Wikipost

Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:03 pm

Transit From Dom to International- 2 hours 25 minutes

Hello guys,

I'm so glad I found this thread. I need your advice please. Itinerary is as follows (traveling on a Sunday)->

Jet Airways Hyd-Bom- Arrival in Mumbai at 23.15 pm
Jet Airways Bom-London Heathrow- Departure at 01.40 am (Transit time- 2hrs 25 minutes)

Smae ticket (one PNR), and same airline...

Now, Jet Airways assured me that it will be through check-in to London from Hyderabad, and I won't have to collect baggage at Mumbai...And further they assured me that it'd take 15-20 mins to transit from 1B to 2 and I'd even have the opportunity to catch a nap (idiots!!)

On going through this thread I'm really really nervous...Can I make it? Any tips please...specifically-

1. This site mentions the following

http://www.jetairways.com/EN/IN/Trav...-services.aspx

"On arrival at the Domestic Terminal 1B, proceed to the information desk to collect your inter-terminal coach service tickets.
While you wait for the coach services, leaving every twenty minutes, relax in the air- conditioned waiting area.
Then continue to board the coach through a dedicated channel.
Here, you need not worry about your baggage, as we will ensure a safe transfer of the same.
On arrival at the International terminal enter through Gate 7, Level 4.
Then furnish your boarding pass to clear security and proceed to the check-in area for document verification.
By then, we would have tagged all of your baggage, so you can feel free to move on to immigration.
"

So I don't have to collect my baggage on arrival Terminal 1B but I do have to check-in Terminal 2?? At the Jet counter? But I will get my BP at Hyderabad

2. Can I get the Emigration Form at Hyderabad from Jet Domestic Counter so that I can fill it and keep it ready...

3. Should I take a taxi or wait for the coach?

Any other advice would be appreciated...Like get a front seat for faster deplaning in Mumbai, extra tags, etc....Thanks in advance, traveling through Mumbai for the first time...
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Your luggage will be checked thru, no need to collect anything. You will also receive boarding passes (BP) for all segments. On arrival in BOM, take a look at the situation at the free inter-terminal coach waiting point. If there is too much going on, waltz out of the domestic terminal and take a cab to the international terminal. The cab will take 15min max., check if you can take a prepaid cab. At the international terminal (T2), just show your BP to the CISF guard and head directly for immigration, there will be forms available just as you enter the lines.

Should be easy peasy, my estimate is maximum 60 min from arrival to the immigration line.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:53 am

Hello everyone.
I have a flight from Pune which reaches Mumbai Domestic airport at 6.30pm. Then I have connecting flight from Mumbai international airport at 9.35.
Pune to Mumbai flight is Jet airways and Itihad airlines Mumbai afterwards. But as my ticket has been taken together and is issued by Itihad airlines, mine will be through check in from Pune to final destination.
I confirmed the same from Jet airlines.
My question is, will I reach international airport within time considering it’s evening time?
Is it advisable to rely on through check in or shall I take my luggage from domestic and check in again at international airport?
Please help. Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Check your luggage thru, 3h transit is enough time.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:47 am

international-international

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on international-international connections at mumbai airport? will be arriving from london into mumbai at 11:15pm with jet airways, departing flight to bangkok at 01:05am also with jet airways. Its on a single ticket and will ensure my luggage is checked through. In light of this, is this transfer time long enough to make my connecting flights? Also, am i right in thinking the procedure is to disembark the plane, check in at the transfer desk, go through security, then just proceed to my gate? Just checking i'm not missing anything out here. (NOTE: jet airways states on their website that international boarding closes 60 minutes prior to departure - bit worried about this)

Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:32 pm

Hi pdkarmarkar,

I am considering a similar flight from Pune. Would you be willing to share your experience either with me privately or publicly on forum as to whether you could make it to the Etihad flight on time ? What were the problems if any or challenges encountered. Was the transit process smooth enough ?

Any other details useful for smooth transit for the same flight ? -- Thanks Nikha
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: A3 *G, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zolagola
I am arriving in BOM on SQ422 at 10:20am and then need to continue to DME via DEL the same day which will be a separate ticket. Initially I wanted to buy a single AI ticket BOM-DEL-DME but am rethinking this given the hassle of transferring from T2 to T1A in BOM (time, visa, baggage).
Just thought I´d report back on my BOM connection experience which was better than expected. In the end I bought a ticket on AI so my transit at BOM was as follows:
arr 10:30am with SQ422 from SIN
dep 4pm with AI666 to DEL
So I had given myself 5:30h for immigration, baggage collection, transfer from T2 to T1A, checkin and security checks.

Everything went smooth to my surprise:
  • walking from arrival gate to immigration took probably the longest
  • immigration was done in 10mins (including waiting with 2 people in front of me)
  • baggage had to be screened again after we received it on the belt but queues were reasonable
  • instead of exiting to the arrivals hall, one has to turn left just before the doors to reach the transfer counter where we were checked in for the connecting AI flight to DEL and could check in the baggage again
  • we then proceeded to the bus stop and were told the next bus would be there in 15-20mins
  • after less than 10mins all people in the waiting area were gone and we realized the bus was already standing outside, so we rushed to catch it
  • the drive to T1A as such took not longer than 10mins
  • at T1A we were able to check in for the connecting flight DEL-DME as well and were issued a lounge voucher
  • the lounge is located before security (which we realized after passing through security) and not much more than a simple waiting room with drinks and basic food - it would have been a long 4 hours in the lounge, but AI decided to build in a delay on our DEL flight which kept me busy

This would have been a great impression of India but the following hours we experienced the other side of the country and AI, so eventually left in anger. But that´s a different story.

Last edited by zolagola; Sep 18, 2015 at 6:46 am
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:39 pm

Mumbai- Delhi - NY

Hi,

I am considering the itinerary. Basically, I am flying from Kolkata to NY through Mumbai. In Mumbai, I am changing planes, which goes to Delhi first and then to NY (same plane). I was wondering if 1h55m in Mumbai is enough time to transfer? Everything is Air India. I don't know if the plane from Mumbai takes off from domestic terminal or international terminal (because it is going to Delhi first and then going to NY). Any comments is greatly welcome! Thank you!

Air India – Flight 775
4:45p Mon, Jan 4 CCU Kolkata, India
7:35p Mon, Jan 4 BOM Mumbai, India
Airbus A319 | 2h 50m

Change planes BOM Mumbai, India 1h 55m

Air India – Flight 101
9:30p Mon, Jan 4 BOM Mumbai, India
11:45p Mon, Jan 4 DEL New Delhi, India
Boeing 777-300ER | 2h 15m

Same plane DEL New Delhi, India 1h 50m

Air India – Flight 101
1:35a Tue, Jan 5 DEL New Delhi, India
6:35a Tue, Jan 5 JFK New York, NY
Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:34 am

Mumbai- Delhi - NY

Hi,

I am considering the itinerary. Basically, I am flying from Kolkata to NY through Mumbai. In Mumbai, I am changing planes, which goes to Delhi first and then to NY (same plane). I was wondering if 1h55m in Mumbai is enough time to transfer? Everything is Air India. I don't know if the plane from Mumbai takes off from domestic terminal or international terminal (because it is going to Delhi first and then going to NY). Any comments is greatly welcome! Thank you!

Air India – Flight 775
4:45p Mon, Jan 4 CCU Kolkata, India
7:35p Mon, Jan 4 BOM Mumbai, India
Airbus A319 | 2h 50m

Change planes BOM Mumbai, India 1h 55m

Air India – Flight 101
9:30p Mon, Jan 4 BOM Mumbai, India
11:45p Mon, Jan 4 DEL New Delhi, India
Boeing 777-300ER | 2h 15m

Same plane DEL New Delhi, India 1h 50m

Air India – Flight 101
1:35a Tue, Jan 5 DEL New Delhi, India
6:35a Tue, Jan 5 JFK New York, NY
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: A3 *G, HH Diamond
AI101 leaves from the international terminal in BOM.

The question is where AI775 arrives - when is the flight? AI is scheduled to move domestic flights from T1A to T2 on Oct 1st (which I will believe on Oct 2nd), so this could make a smoother transfer experience.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by zolagola
AI101 leaves from the international terminal in BOM.

The question is where AI775 arrives - when is the flight? AI is scheduled to move domestic flights from T1A to T2 on Oct 1st (which I will believe on Oct 2nd), so this could make a smoother transfer experience.
Thanks for the info!
The flight is for Jan 04, 2016. Assuming the change happens in early October (never know with this kind of stuff I guess) , this transfer should be ok for 1h55min?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:24 pm

AI 775 is a domestic flight and not very punctual. BE on track of this flight and make sure to go to the airport early so you can be rebooked onto 9W or a different AI flight. If you have already booked there is not much you can do?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Air India shifts domestic operations to T2

Looks like this should make things easier for folks connecting on Air India's international flights out of BOM

http://airindia.in/shift-domestic-oper-T2.htm
Old Sep 27, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: AC*E50, Accor plat, Fairmont Plat, Amex Plat
Kochin to Jaipur

About to pull the trigger on this flight for late Dec. Both segments are with Jet airways with 30 minute stop over in Mumbai. I'm assuming since this all with the Jet Airways website, its potentially doable? Hopefully no need to go through security and bags check through? close by in the same terminal? Is this crazy to think that it would work out?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC*E50, Accor plat, Fairmont Plat, Amex Plat
COK to JAI on jet

Sorry if this is a repost (I tried to post via my phone, but do not think it worked).

I am about to pull the trigger on Jet air flights from Cochin to Jaipur via a 30 minute stopover in BOM (all domestic). This is what the jet air website suggests as my top option. Is this doable? (it will all be on the same ticket, and the luggage should thus go through). Does anyone know if we would need to go through security or if the flights are in the same areas of the terminal? If this works, it would obviously be ideal - thank you for any advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.