Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Any issues with carrying alcohol on domestic flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver

I'm planning to fly into DEL and then take domestic flights to various places. I'd like to bring some bottles of alcohol for my various relatives - ideally I'd just buy those at home and pack them in my checked bags and carry them about, disbursing as necessary. Are there any restrictions internally on how much alcohol I can have tucked away, provided that the bag is checked? I did search the board, but couldn't find anything recent.
thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Alcohol upto two liters is duty free. 200 cigarettes / 50 cigars / 250 grams of tobacco is duty free. After that, wine / beer / champagne are charged duty @ 100% of the cost while hard liquor is charged @ 150% (plus a few percent more as "educaiton cess")
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by hserus
(plus a few percent more as "educaiton cess")
The irony is lost on no one

That said, I think the OP's question might be about how much EtOH he can pack for domestic flights (where he wouldn't have to deal with customs), and I admit I'm not sure there is a rule on this. OP, can you clarify your question?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
He said he would buy booze from home and his home airport in his profile says dca. So, I assume he isn't asking how much old monk he can buy in DEL and pack in his baggage on a domestic flight.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by hserus
He said he would buy booze from home and his home airport in his profile says dca. So, I assume he isn't asking how much old monk he can buy in DEL and pack in his baggage on a domestic flight.
Well, he said he would be taking a bunch of domestic flights, not just one, and would be dishing out the booze to people he visited on the way. Sounds like a good plan to me
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I do the same: purchase liqour at the local supermarket, pack it in checked luggage and transport it inside india.

Customs is least bothered by the amount of liquor you carry: in January I had about 5 bottles with me and was selected in the green channel for x-ray scrutinty in DEL. The customs lady at the terminal clearly saw the bottles and didn't flinch. I suppose they are looking for something else.

When travelling inside India, no one will bother you as long as its in the checked baggage. The silly liquid restrictions for hand luggage are coming though.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Hi all-
sorry for any confusion in my original post. hserus' interpretation was correct- assuming there are no issues, I am planning to buy the alcohol in the US, pack it in my checked bags, and then bring it to India. I was figuring I'd get through DEL customs without an issue (they haven't seemed to care what I'm carrying in the past), but was wondering if I'll have issues flying internally in India with several bottles packed in my (check-on) bags, which I haven't done previously. Based on oliver2002's response, it sounds like I should be ok internally as well.
thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Hi all-
sorry for any confusion in my original post. hserus' interpretation was correct- assuming there are no issues, I am planning to buy the alcohol in the US, pack it in my checked bags, and then bring it to India. I was figuring I'd get through DEL customs without an issue (they haven't seemed to care what I'm carrying in the past), but was wondering if I'll have issues flying internally in India with several bottles packed in my (check-on) bags, which I haven't done previously. Based on oliver2002's response, it sounds like I should be ok internally as well.
thanks!
the only problem you could face, if any, would be at customs while entering india....after that no one would care how much you carry internally....
Old Jun 20, 2013, 2:09 pm

The most likely problem you might face is smashed bottles due to rough baggage handling.

The other (remote) possibility is theft...nowadays security x-raying is not done in front of you but behind the scenes at DEL and some other airports, and they will see that you have liquor.

But if you are asking whether bottles of liquid in luggage is against the law, no, why should it be? [Edited to add: I don't know if shipment of liquor is against the law in some right-wing-governed states, but the x-ray people are not responsible for that, and no one else will know.]
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
You can carry 5 litres of alcohol on a domestic flight..
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Sounds good-- thanks everyone for your help. I'm not too worried about broken bottles,as I routinely bring local alcohols back from my travels, and have gotten used to packing them such that they don't break and/or ruin my clothing... Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some rule limiting quantity that I might hit at a domestic terminal where I wouldn't have any recourse. I'll now carry my bottles about with impunity.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by Anish
You can carry 5 litres of alcohol on a domestic flight..
You can carry as much as needed on a domestic flight ( not only 5 lts ) .. if customs does not stop u or u pay the customs duty if stopped..
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
You can carry as much as needed on a domestic flight ( not only 5 lts ) .. if customs does not stop u or u pay the customs duty if stopped..
Possessing more than 6 sealed bottles classifies you as a bootlegger.
There are various laws about transporting/carrying domestic liquor across state borders.

It would be better to stay within "reasonable" limits.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:21 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by TheIndian
Possessing more than 6 sealed bottles classifies you as a bootlegger.
There are various laws about transporting/carrying domestic liquor across state borders.

It would be better to stay within "reasonable" limits.
Of-course we should say within limits..
but I didn't know that 6 sealed bottles made a person a bootlegger..
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Fortunately I won't need to carry more than 5 bottles. Still, it would be fun to say (later) that I used to be a bootlegger...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.