Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Who remembers these Airlines of India...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who remembers these Airlines of India...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by FedUp2
Unfortunately not, but for many years (well in the 2000s), you could see the remnants of the Jamair DC3 near the old WW2 era hangars at Dum Dum. They may well be there even now, but the taxiway has changed and I do not recall going anywhere near those old hangars of late.
http://hurryup1.wordpress.com/category/aviation/
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Prior to consolidation nationalisation, there were sedveral airlines operating in India. I can't recall any names though.

Vayudoot was, I think, a subsidiary of IC.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
This is incredible. i hope Fedup2 has seen the post (scroll down the blog for the pic of the Jamair Gooney)

I have also heard of an Air India Super Constellation somwehere in Pune airport...anyone?

I am quite tempted....seriously.. to devote my spare time and possibly three-six months off my job researching the history of Indian civil aviation!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by FedUp2
I guess I am dating myself with this post...I recall my first flight (in the early 60s) was on a scheduled flight from CCU to COH on a gooney bird (DC3) operated by Jamair - supposedly owned by the Maharaja of Jamnagar.
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Awesome! That's a clear winner so far.
^^
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rathin100
I am quite tempted....seriously.. to devote my spare time and possibly three-six months off my job researching the history of Indian civil aviation!
Now, that would be a very interesting project. ^

Aviation in India has made news only over the last two decades, but as this thread has shown, there's a very interesting side to it even before the liberation.

More recently I suggested cousin of mine (cousins husband, actually) , who in his previous life was a columnist/on the editorial board of Times of India (and subsequently, a contributor to Forbes India) to consider an essay on "Airlines as a function of National Identity, and How India compares"...

...also suggested an angle on the fact that Emirates now operates the most flights out of India than any other Airline, and is posturing as the de-facto national Airline.

If he gets around to it, I'll post
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by rathin100
This is incredible. i hope Fedup2 has seen the post (scroll down the blog for the pic of the Jamair Gooney)

I have also heard of an Air India Super Constellation somwehere in Pune airport...anyone?

http://www.conniesurvivors.com/BG583.htm
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:06 am
Suspended

Thanks very much for the link - it made fascinating reading. I remember the DC3s at Safdarjang Airport well; it was on my daily commute route from Hauz Khas to DU in the early 70s and when the bus climbed over the INA over-bridge you could clearly see the cracked cement runway of Safdarjang and several DC3s parked on the apron. I think they did postal runs.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Avis PP
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Yup, that is what I thought as well.

I remember boxes of food (kind of like a cardboard box you would get from a pastry shop, but with one sandwich, a piece of cake and a savoury snack) that were handed out to every pax on a Vayudoot flight from DEL-JAI a long time ago! Most carried the box as there wasn't enough time to eat it all onboard!

Kind of different from the Rs 80 for a muffin on Jet Konnect these days!!
I think AI has started handing out similar cardboard boxes with a small sandwich, a muffin and a water bottle. I got one on a recent flight. Just a few months ago, they had food with proper silverware and everything. I guess they are now in the cost cutting mode.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Given the number of 9W loyalists, it's surprising that no one has mentioned Air Sahara, not christened Jet Lite.

Last edited by Babu; Mar 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
... I don't recall any Pawan Hans fixed wing flights in and out of Jammu & Kashmir -- helicopter service is another matter.

The last of the airlines with a publicly-declared ownership stake by a princely ruler would have to take the cake for an airline of (independent) India that few if any here would remember.

Of the domestic Indian airlines flights whose names are no longer showing up at Indian airports, most such travel of mine was done on Modiluft, with Sahara and Deccan way behind.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Smile

Originally Posted by SQ421
Now, that would be a very interesting project. ^

Aviation in India has made news only over the last two decades, but as this thread has shown, there's a very interesting side to it even before the liberation.

More recently I suggested cousin of mine (cousins husband, actually) , who in his previous life was a columnist/on the editorial board of Times of India (and subsequently, a contributor to Forbes India) to consider an essay on "Airlines as a function of National Identity, and How India compares"...

...also suggested an angle on the fact that Emirates now operates the most flights out of India than any other Airline, and is posturing as the de-facto national Airline.

If he gets around to it, I'll post
Please do keep me informed. i will be probabl;y relocating to Bangkok later this year so this project will actually be feasible for me and i would love to collaborate. I am a published writer so i can keep my end up..
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by rsh913
Thanks for this. Fascinating. Ill pop down to Agra next time I am in delhi, as I have a friend based there in The IAF and find out more
Old Mar 26, 2011, 1:19 am

I may be too young to have known some of the defunct airlines of India you all mentioned, but I fondly remember flying NEPC-Damania (were the two merged at any point of time? atleast that's what it showed on our ticket stubs) a couple of round-trips bet COK (Cochin) and AGX (Agatti, in the Lakshadeep Islands) in the mid-90s. Can't recall the make of the aircraft, but it sat ~50 pax. I was only in my early teens and remember the two "air hostesses" being young and very beautiful. I was traveling with my parents for a summer getaway to the islands, but they didn't mind flirting with me in a friendly way in front of my parents I still have the pictures I took inside the cabin. I may have seen a lot more of the world since, but I will never forget that first sight of the amazing islands in the sparkling emerald lagoons, from the small windows of that rattling craft. I wish I can go back again soon!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by zenith2010
I may be too young to have known some of the defunct airlines of India you all mentioned, but I fondly remember flying NEPC-Damania (were the two merged at any point of time? atleast that's what it showed on our ticket stubs) a couple of round-trips bet COK (Cochin) and AGX (Agatti, in the Lakshadeep Islands) in the mid-90s. Can't recall the make of the aircraft, but it sat ~50 pax. I was only in my early teens and remember the two "air hostesses" being young and very beautiful. I was traveling with my parents for a summer getaway to the islands, but they didn't mind flirting with me in a friendly way in front of my parents I still have the pictures I took inside the cabin. I may have seen a lot more of the world since, but I will never forget that first sight of the amazing islands in the sparkling emerald lagoons, from the small windows of that rattling craft. I wish I can go back again soon!

You may be too youing (or me too old) on the defunct airline sbut you have truly had the luck to have a lifetime experience I am sure few of us have had...

IN sium India has a ninteresting and ignored aviation history as diverse and vaiegated as the country!!!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:21 am

Thanks rathin100!!

And by the way, best wishes for that project on the history of india's civil aviation... hope it happens. I'm sure there's a lot of interesting stories and anecdotes to be told. Perhaps the research phase could be crowd-sourced, so that young aviation geeks like me can also maybe participate and contribute!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.