Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Who remembers these Airlines of India...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who remembers these Airlines of India...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
East West MD Thakiyudeen Wahid was assassinated by Chota Rajan. It seems that even if you ran a big airline in Mumbai you had to pay the mafia

I remember flying Damania, ModiLuft and East West. I was a big 9W fan, especially because they had relatively new aircraft and the student tickets were easy to get. ModiLuft had a falling out with LH because they couldn't afford the tab for leasing and fuel of the ancient 732s LH stuck them with. OK, at the time they were about 12-15 years old, but the engines were horrid. LH Technik did their support in India, and the inflight service, cutlery etc were all to LH standard. LH had just emerged from the cold war and was in the process of being denationalised. ModiLuft was one of its first experiments as a global player.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Was just thinking of one of my first ever domestic flights in India (I would have been 2-3 years prob at the time), and it was on "Vayudoot"!!

Anyone remember what happended to Vayudoot? Was it swallowed by (the erstwhile!) Indian Airlines? And is memory playing tricks or did it become Alliance Air in one of its re-incarnations?

The other one I can think of is ModiLuft. How did that one end?

Any other interesting ones from the past....
I too recall Vayudoot.. Was living in Shillong for some years as a kid and had 1/2yrly trips between Shillong / Guwahati and Calcutta on their old fokker's..

I guess they were taken over by alliance air ?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:33 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
I too recall Vayudoot.. Was living in Shillong for some years as a kid and had 1/2yrly trips between Shillong / Guwahati and Calcutta on their old fokker's..

I guess they were taken over by alliance air ?
Yup, that is what I thought as well.

I remember boxes of food (kind of like a cardboard box you would get from a pastry shop, but with one sandwich, a piece of cake and a savoury snack) that were handed out to every pax on a Vayudoot flight from DEL-JAI a long time ago! Most carried the box as there wasn't enough time to eat it all onboard!

Kind of different from the Rs 80 for a muffin on Jet Konnect these days!!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Yup, that is what I thought as well.

I remember boxes of food (kind of like a cardboard box you would get from a pastry shop, but with one sandwich, a piece of cake and a savoury snack) that were handed out to every pax on a Vayudoot flight from DEL-JAI a long time ago! Most carried the box as there wasn't enough time to eat it all onboard!

Kind of different from the Rs 80 for a muffin on Jet Konnect these days!!
I always finished it as a child
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
East West MD Thakiyudeen Wahid was assassinated by Chota Rajan. It seems that even if you ran a big airline in Mumbai you had to pay the mafia
it was not just East West but IIRC there were plenty of rumours on Jet Airways / Goyal had mafia links as well - there was even some sort of an official probe or proposed official probe of this. When they applied for US rights there was an attempt in the US to block them on this pretext.... luckily none of this was ever substantiated
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
east-west & vayudoot come to mind....

wasn't vayudoot always a part of ai????
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:08 am

[QUOTE=Keyser;16043441]east-west & vayudoot come to mind....

wasn't vayudoot always a part of ai????[/QUOTE]

Am not sure but am sure that it was govt owned..

Modiluft comes to mind.. I recall how happy I was when I was flying DEL - CCU the next day after diwali and they gave me a nice tiffin box as a gift
Ofcourse I was a child then..
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:59 am

Was dating a Modiluft FA for a while in the early 90's. Made quite a few landings. Never made it on any of their 732's though.
Not sure it counts. They did have great uniforms.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by rsh913
Was dating a Modiluft FA for a while in the early 90's. Made quite a few landings. Never made it on any of their 732's though.
Not sure it counts. They did have great uniforms.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:54 am
Suspended

Jamair

I guess I am dating myself with this post...I recall my first flight (in the early 60s) was on a scheduled flight from CCU to COH on a gooney bird (DC3) operated by Jamair - supposedly owned by the Maharaja of Jamnagar.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I remember seeing all these airlines collapse and did think 9W would make, but glad they did. Now if they could get their act together and join some alliance but still keep all their exisiting FFP tie-ups.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by FedUp2
I guess I am dating myself with this post...I recall my first flight (in the early 60s) was on a scheduled flight from CCU to COH on a gooney bird (DC3) operated by Jamair - supposedly owned by the Maharaja of Jamnagar.
Awesome! Do you have any meorablia from that flight (tickets BPs etc) by any chance?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I remember seeing all these airlines collapse and did think 9W would make, but glad they did. Now if they could get their act together and join some alliance but still keep all their exisiting FFP tie-ups.
no one mentioned Pawan Hans.

They still have passenger service in Kashmir, North East India and some outerlying areas:

http://www.pawanhans.co.in/site/inne...s=2&menu_id=97
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:48 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by FedUp2
Awesome! That's a clear winner so far.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rathin100
Awesome! Do you have any meorablia from that flight (tickets BPs etc) by any chance?
Unfortunately not, but for many years (well in the 2000s), you could see the remnants of the Jamair DC3 near the old WW2 era hangars at Dum Dum. They may well be there even now, but the taxiway has changed and I do not recall going anywhere near those old hangars of late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.