Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Independence Air iClub
Reload this Page >

It's official -- flyI ceasing operations January 5th. Could we get A?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G

Today flyI has finally bit the dust. After 18 months of mediocre financial performance, they have announced that on Thursday, Independence Air flight 1777 from White Plains to Washington will be their last flight.
Let's see how long it takes UA to raise fares to places like BTV & ALB
Let's also see if we can finally say good-bye to G, and see if Mesa will pick up more CRJ flying, by taking over the ex-flyI jets
UA won this battle. http://www.flyi.com/company/pressarc...an/010206.aspx
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Awww, that's a shame. One of the worst business ideas at the worst possible time for the industry; I'm not sure one could expect anything else.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Those are all my friends over there. Even though I worked there, I didn't fly them. UA MP was just too attractive to pass up for a FF. You have to give it to them for trying and also for earning as many accolades as they have. You don't see UA's CS in any #1 or #2 spots on any list.
More likely than not, UA will probably be awarded FlyI's gates at the A Term. It will be good to be back there as UA.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:58 am

I am glad to see FlyI go; if FlyI's departure from the market allows UA to price IAD fares at a level that enables them to make a modest profit (instead of what must have been break-even or money-losing levels that were comparable to FlyI's prices), then I'm all for it.

I will admit to feeling sorry for some of the FlyI people I encountered who really did deliver great service both on the ground and in the air, and it's unfortunate that in this instance, it seems that it was truly bumbling management and not some combination of rigid work rules and high labor costs that did in an airline. I think there's an important lesson to be learned about people's service ethic and attitude when they're working for "their own" company (i.e. FlyI) as opposed to clock-watching contract employees working for someone else's airline (i.e. UX carriers).

It's also appropriate to give credit to FlyI management for making an announcement a couple days out that allows passengers to make alternative plans and not be stranded. That's unusual in the history of collapsing airlines (I hearby eat my words from another thread when I suggested that the first sign of the "real" end at FlyI would be "See Agent" on flight status monitors).

I also hope that 1) UA will offer UX GA positions to some of the FlyI staff from IAD (who would be far superior to some of the shiftless Air Wiz underperformers currently working the G gates), and 2) UA will move (quickly, please!) to FlyI's old turf in A.

Speaking of which, and I know it's been covered piecemeal in other threads, can someone please re-hash the definitive comparison between G gates and FlyI's A gates? As in, how many of parking spots for what kinds of planes in each location? I recall there are fewer spots at FlyI's A then at G, but I wonder if UA could close G and handle the traffic via a combination of A and the UX spots at C.

Last edited by SealBeach; Jan 2, 2006 at 9:12 am
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:18 am

Programs: MR Gold, *wood Gold, HHonors Silver, UA 1K
OK, I'm sort of torn on this.

First, let me say that I hate the G Terminal at Dulles. Its absolutely horrible. I've been in Greyhound Bus stations that are better! Last Wednesday, I flew from CHS to IAD and it took me 1 hour to get from G Terminal to my car. I hope that UA or Mesa picks up those A gates ASAP!

That being said. I few Flyi once. It was really nice. The service was better than 90% of UX flights I was on in the past year. My wife used them a few times for a cheap flight from IAD to PIT. She had similar good experiences with them. I know the history with UA and ACA (as well as ACA's lousy service), but these folks really gave it a good try (FA, pilots, GA, etc).

Anyway RIP FlyI. Hopefully, there are jobs out there for those who will be unemployed. And please....please turn those A gates over soon!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by ExCrew
More likely than not, UA will probably be awarded FlyI's gates at the A Term.
UA has petitioned the Bankruptcy Court for approval to bid for FlyI assets in liquidation. Though UA did not specify which assets they were interested in, the A terminal gates would likely be of high priority.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyingTerp
OK, I'm sort of torn on this.

First, let me say that I hate the G Terminal at Dulles. Its absolutely horrible. I've been in Greyhound Bus stations that are better! Last Wednesday, I flew from CHS to IAD and it took me 1 hour to get from G Terminal to my car. I hope that UA or Mesa picks up those A gates ASAP!

That being said. I few Flyi once. It was really nice. The service was better than 90% of UX flights I was on in the past year. My wife used them a few times for a cheap flight from IAD to PIT. She had similar good experiences with them. I know the history with UA and ACA (as well as ACA's lousy service), but these folks really gave it a good try (FA, pilots, GA, etc).

Anyway RIP FlyI. Hopefully, there are jobs out there for those who will be unemployed. And please....please turn those A gates over soon!
I really agree with this. It's so hard for me -- my memories of ACA at Dulles are stronger than anything the SFH dealt me. And the majority of the issues I dealt with were not UA created -- it was ACA self inspired incompetence. As bad as "G" is, it is still better to me than the old "A" (now "T") gate prison cell I spent so much time in at the mercy of ACA. My therapist says though that just a few more sessions and I should be over the worst of it.

It really is a shame that their management couldn't put their energies and abilities into motivating (and managing) their workforce within the financial stability of the UX environment. Then they wouldn't be putting so many good people out of work now. It's obvious they had it in 'em all along. Too bad it had to end this way.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:33 am

I flew FkyI once and really liked it!! Seems on my reg route IAD-BOS even with FlyI's low fares it was always more expensive than UA, as I usually did not have time to buy tickets in advance. Seems UA undercut them on their last minute's while operating in BK. I would like to see UA keep some last min fares in the $88-129rt range. Maybe JetBlue & AirTran will give some competition value wise.
I also wish the FlyI's employees my best wishes in this most difficult of times.
Happy New Year
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
Another article

Here's another article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060102/...dependence_air

I had so many unpleasant experiences when they were ACA I could never bring myself to use FlyI since there was always a UX alternative.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Oh well... there go the cheap fares to IAD!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I can say is GOOD LUCK IAD MILEAGE RUNNERS!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:31 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Moved to Independence Air forum

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Moved to Independence Air forum

cblaisd
Moderator, United

This thread is about UA's response to FlyI closing. "Could we get A" is part of the thread title.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
All I can say is GOOD LUCK IAD MILEAGE RUNNERS!
Yeah, me too. All I can say about DH is getting shutdown on Jan. 5, 2006. What is reason to know why about Independence Air? I don't quite understand what happen to them? Is the customers will given them refund the ticket?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:21 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
This thread is about UA's response to FlyI closing. "Could we get A" is part of the thread title.
Please see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...t=independence

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.