Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Rewards Network (formerly iDine)
Reload this Page >

Miami-Fort lauderdale, FL: any worthwile places on current list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

If you had good experiences on their current list, please share.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:32 am
Suspended

Skip Galanga. Overpriced and service very unsatisfactory. Don't believe the hype about it on the website or elsewhere on the net. In addition, there is mandatory valet parking with charge.

I like Argie Grill and Jacks BBQ but these are take-out places, not really sit down restaurants that you would want to dine in.

I can heartily endorse 33rd and Dine French Cafe as the prices are quite gentle and the food is quite good and the service is earnest if not always at the top of the game. Pepe's By the Sea which is opposite 33rd and Dine French Cafe despite the differing adresses is also quite inexpensive, especially at lunch and is a nice dining diversion which I can recommend.

Pesca just came on board and although I have never eaten there, my in-laws really like the place. The following is a recent review from the Miami Herald:

Posted on Thu, Sep. 11, 2008

Enjoy hip vibe, plentiful seafood at Pesca

BY ROCHELLE KOFF

The sign outside still says Caffé Blu, but for the past two months, the cozy restaurant on Las Olas has had a new name -- Pesca -- and a new owner -- chef Raul Navarro. He's waiting for city approval to change the signage, but that hasn't stopped him from making the place his own.

Navarro, who discovered cooking as a 12-year-old in Guatemala, honed his culinary skills on yacht charters and at Broward restaurants including Casa D'Angelo, Mancini's and Spazio.

With 85 seats and a hip European vibe, Pesca is a pleasant place to graze, listen to live music and have a glass of wine. Choose a bistro-style table out front, pet-friendly seating on a side alleyway or a more formal atmosphere inside with white tablecloths, candlelight and fresh flowers.

Even novices can easily navigate the reasonably priced, well-organized wine list. Navarro stocks 180 bottles, with 26 by the glass and six splits on the champagne list.

Given the new name, it's no surprise that Pesca focuses on fruits of the sea. In fact, all the appetizers revolve around seafood.

Our favorite is the ravioli stuffed with salmon and a hint of mint -- a special offered on both our visits that deserves a permanent spot on the menu. It's crowned with a delicious mango and red pepper sauce deglazed with white wine and chicken stock. A friend asked for more bread to sop up every last bit.

Ceviche is bracingly fresh, served in a two-piece martini glass with a mound of crushed ice on the bottom to cool the citrus- and chipotle-spiked red snapper, baby shrimp, bay scallops and grouper (if not available, tilapia).

Fried calamari and shrimp come with a trio of dips -- roasted red pepper purée with mayo and cilantro, honey-mustard aioli and tartar sauce. Shareable, bite-size seafood empanadillas are stuffed with jumbo lump crab meat, sliced green olives and cream cheese and served with aioli and tartar dips.

A rack of lamb special was excellent, fragrant of rosemary and garlic, juicy and tender. It was served with roasted potato wedges and asparagus with roasted red peppers and a flavorful medley of perfectly cooked zucchini, yellow squash and carrots.

We also liked the pan-seared scallops, plump and juicy, served with well-seasoned rice tucked into a wispy phyllo cup plus a tomato stuffed with Navarro's veggie medley -- all good. The chef usually flambées his whole yellowtail but on our trip he was out of the ouzo used to ignite the flames. The presentation was lovely, nonetheless, and the baked fish well-seasoned (the kitchen will fillet it on request) but just a bit dry.

Our biggest disappointment was the porterhouse special. Cooked well past the medium-rare we had requested, the chewy steak was not worth the $29 tab.

Our meal ended on a positive note with the chocolate mousse Navarro makes with Belgian milk chocolate and serves as three small rounds, as cute as petits fours: One is studded with chocolate chunks, the second is flavored with banana liqueur and garnished with diced bananas and the third is flavored with Key lime juice and garnished with bits of lime zest. Sinfully good chocolate lava cake and classic Key lime pie are other options.

For now, Pesca's starters and daily specials -- and desserts -- are most successful. There's room for improvement in a few entree staples, but friendly, earnest and enthusiastic Navarro is the kind of chef you can't help rooting for on restaurant-intensive Las Olas.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Dec 4, 2008 at 10:05 pm
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
My favorites in the South Miami area include:

Roasters and Toasters for the best NY style deli in the area (only open for breakfast and lunch - closing time 3:30) Went for breakfast this AM

Cold Stone Creamery for great ice cream

Los Ranchos - Nicaraguan steakhouse - 3 or 4 locations including Bayside in downtown Miami - have NEVER had a bad meal there.

Sakura - Japanese near Coral Gables

Ludo's Italian Restaurant in Coconut Grove

Sr. Frog's - Mexican food in Coconut Grove

Stir Moon - sushi & noodle Asian - one of my all time favorites - located in Cutler Ridge (S. Dixie Highwas at about 200th Street) - they have another restaurant in Coral Gables but it is NOT on the program. (I buy gift cards at south location and use them across from the U of Miami)

These are restaurants I've tried and continue to frequent.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Very interesting list. Thank you.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Surprisingly, I'm in Key West now where the only RN members are 2 Burger Kings !
There are 2 seafood restaurants, 1 each in Marathon & Islamorada or nearby. However, I will arrive in Miami Beach Tuesday, where there are many members.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Pastrami Queen (owned by the same family that ran Pastrami King in Queens, once voted the best pastrami in New York City by the NY Times) has opened in Boca Raton and is on RN. Highly recommended!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Pesca was great the one time I ate there but is now no longer participating.

33rd and Dine French Cafe and Pepe by the Sea still participate and are recommended.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jan 2, 2009 at 8:13 pm
Old Jan 2, 2009, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Great new restaurant to recommend -- Greek Express.

Opposite Ft. Lauderdale beach in a stirp mall next to a tatoo parlor! Fine dining it is not, but the food is very good and cheap -- most dishes are around $10.00, with lamb chops topping it at $14.99 I think.

Standard take out Greek with good Greek salads, etc.

Sitting area below the restaurant faces the beach which is nice.

Kenny and George run the place and I told George that I am coming in here because of IDINE! So let him know, as well!

They are expanding into the store next door, so they should be around for awhile.

MC/Visa only, however.

Also, for hot sauce, they have that good killer Vietnamese fire red stuff in the big plastic bottles.

In addition, Palm Grill has now come aboard. I did not eat there while on Idine but it is near the movie theater and the Argie Grill. When I did eat there they had cheap killer drink specials, however!

Also can recommend Euro Bread Cafe for reasonably cheap lunch specials, but it appears that both times that I ate here required me to contact RN to get the miles posted!

Finally, can wholeheartedly recommend Royal India. Very good portions and decent prices for the food. Moreover, I combined an Entertainment coupon with my dinner, reducing it by $15.00! But remember, as the servers are nice (mine was Romina, a Romanian girl -- go figure) always tip on the before coupon amount!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jan 3, 2009 at 6:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.