Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chip and Signature cards/Dines not posting

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by chix
Another sign that Rewards Network is way behind the times technologically. The are a dinosaur in the making as their systems are antiquated. Chip cards are going to be huge in 2015 and most pos terminals will default to chips next year.

To further complicate, many chips use alternate card number sequences. Another example is that Apple Pay charges using a few different digits on the end of the card sequence.

The recent security breaches have required banks and retailers to upgrade ASAP and RN is not keeping up with this.

I expect RN/iDine to go bankrupt or be sold very soon. They just can't keep up and have limited financial resources.
It's nearly a year since this was posted. I'm curious as to how much of it has come true. Is RN/idine still teetering on the verge of bankruptcy?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It may be the chip cards do not play well with the system design employed by RN. If a scrambled account number is being presented to the merchant and not decoded until it reaches the bank, then RN is out of the game. With all the data thefts happening, I don't blame the banks from doing what they can to fight that. Providing an easy tracking system for other vendors piggy-backing off what was being done is not their problem.

Although much more painful, maybe an interim process is submit the charges to RN for credit. That will either force them out of the game or maybe get them to develop another process to capture data locally. i.e. their own swipe device used at the restaurant.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RogerD408
It may be the chip cards do not play well with the system design employed by RN. If a scrambled account number is being presented to the merchant and not decoded until it reaches the bank, then RN is out of the game. With all the data thefts happening, I don't blame the banks from doing what they can to fight that. Providing an easy tracking system for other vendors piggy-backing off what was being done is not their problem.

Although much more painful, maybe an interim process is submit the charges to RN for credit. That will either force them out of the game or maybe get them to develop another process to capture data locally. i.e. their own swipe device used at the restaurant.
It doesn't look like end-to-end encryption is all that common yet since chip-enabled businesses do seem to be able to still transmit the number on the front of the card to RN. If businesses ever do that en masse though there would need to be another way to let RN know.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I have a number of dines this year using chip and signature cards, and all have posted quickly without any problems. (Other than the one for the Black Bear Diner that was no longer participating in the program, but obviously that was a different issue. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.